Hawkesbury Flathead

tryhard

G'day all,

This is a bit of a late report from last weekend.

No excuses on my part, I was too bloody lazy to get the Photo's off the camera.

Anyway, the story goes a little something like this...........

After the great weather that we have been having on the weekends, I could not contain my primeval urges any longer & needed a valid excuse to get on the water to catch & kill (hunter/provider syndrome).

After racking my brains & checking the weather forecast 50 times a day, I formulated a plan.

I rang my usual fishing mate & sugested that the weekend looked promising (weather wise) & that he should lodge the appropriate doccumentation to obtain a short notice leave pass from the relevnt minister.

The plan was really quite simplistic - School Holidays - should do something with the kids - two adults (by age only) & two kids spending an educational field trip in the great outdoors, last chance before having to return to School!

So having carefully mapped out the logistics, the chain of command & the mission, upon arriving home on the Thursday night, over dinner - all relevant parties in attendance - I mustered up the courage and asked the Kids if they would like me to take them fishing early one morning - home by lunchtme?

Both kids expressed interest - no reservations (that's a first) and having now achieved a democratic majority, I also cleared my leave with the minister for war.

So the detail of the plan was to have afore mentioned fishing buddy arrive at 5.00 am leave the house by 5.30 & be at Berrowra ramp by 6.00am.

So 4.00am of the big day arrives with my mobile ringing in my ear - said fishing buddy & co conspirator had managed to poison himself the day before - yeah great timing!

So I figure I wont get the kids up & will snooze for another 1/2 hour, only to be rudely awoken by a soft voice saying urgently Daddy, it's already after 4.00 - are we still going ?

We left home under clear pre-dawn skies and soon descended into a Pea soup fog as we neared the ramp, slowing us down to a walking pace. (so frustrating when you want to get the boat in ASAP)

Well we launched the boat & chugged off into this..

post-3077-1224397764_thumb.jpg

post-3077-1224397784_thumb.jpg

We were barely able to see the moored boats & yet we were passed by a small open tinny, man with a young kid (4-5yrs old) aboard doing about 15knts - no life jacket, no lights, and a larger tinny going slightly slower - madness if you ask me.

We arrived at our destination (the Vines) and began drifting.

The fog had cleared by 8.30am and we had caught a couple of just legal flatties on just under & a small whiting.

post-3077-1224397811_thumb.jpg

post-3077-1224397860_thumb.jpg

Eventually the sun burnt its way through & we began getting bites in earnest.

Shortly thereafter we had a 48cm flatty in the boat, and another just legal (we kept this one 'cause he was gut hooked & not at all well)

post-3077-1224398193_thumb.jpg

A short time later we left after running out of frozen re-frozen thawed servo prawns (sick fishing mate was going to bring the bait!)

Last night we had fish & chips for dinner !