Nepean Today

glennmreid

Went back to my spot at the Nepean for a few hours fish. Brought the wife along to try some lures, while I got into the local mullet again. Thought I was try a slightly different rig today by adding a sliding burley bomb onto my leader. It worked a treat! Had plenty of bites, lost a few good fish. Lost a real good one at my feet! The one I lost at my feed even had a buddy following him. The 2 fish below, when hooked, were leaping out of the water trying to shake the hook free. I have never seen such an aerobatic display in this type of fish. It was like I had hooked a barramundi, and not a mullet!

Here are a couple of shots of the 2 good ones that I had taken pictures of. The 1st one wa 42cm in length, and weighed 1.2kg. The 2nd one was 44cm in length, and weighed 1.48kg. Saw a school of huge carp crusing in front of me. Tried to catch them, but couldn't get them. Tried using the bread to catch them, but the carp kept spitting it out. Maybe sweetcorn is the go next time.

post-3324-1225358844_thumb.jpg

post-3324-1225358679_thumb.jpg

post-3324-1225358691_thumb.jpg

post-3324-1225358721_thumb.jpg

post-3324-1225358731_thumb.jpg

the top side of the wier there fires for bas on small surface lures.

How close to the top side of the weir are we talking about? I have some beautiful cicado lures that I would love to try. Don't really know this area well, I would love to get into a bass.

Chopper ive found the best place for topwater just on dark is over the bridge(by car from where you are in your pic's) first left follow it down till you see a carpark on your left, walk down the enbankment and start fishing from there.

There are gaps between the tree's which i work with both topwater and small shallow running lures inline with the bank...topwater is more of a cast out as far as possible.

Id work the foot track down the left go under the bridge and then it will take you back down to the weir.

One thing to watch out for are the bats of a night, lost 2 good topwater lures to those bugger...lol.

Good luck with the bassin. :1fishing1:

Chopper ive found the best place for topwater just on dark is over the bridge(by car from where you are in your pic's) first left follow it down till you see a carpark on your left, walk down the enbankment and start fishing from there.

There are gaps between the tree's which i work with both topwater and small shallow running lures inline with the bank...topwater is more of a cast out as far as possible.

Id work the foot track down the left go under the bridge and then it will take you back down to the weir.

One thing to watch out for are the bats of a night, lost 2 good topwater lures to those bugger...lol.

Thanks snag,

I'll have to give that area a try. Appreciate your help.

Hi Snag,

When you say drive over the bridge and first left, in which direction. Go over the bridge towards emu plains or towards penrith? Thanks

toward emu plains and then left,

what you want to do is fish the opposite bank to where you are in the pic and futher up river if you get my drift.

Any problems please feel free to call me on 0413-166-015 and i can fill you in on some more good landbased bass spots throughout that area and others :1fishing1: .

Lovely looking mullet, Glenn! They'd be in the smoker quick smart! :) :)

Nice looking spot, too!

Cheerio

Roberta

Hope you get into some bass too!! Cicadas won't be that far away with this heat - hang onto that cicada lure! :)

mate stand on the lower ledge of the weir (right behind you in the pic) and use surface lures at night back over the weir (towards the rowing club). the bass love them there and will often hit them just as the lure comes back over the weir to you, they seem to panic and think they'll miss out. also cast into where you were fishing for mullet every now then just to give the bass up top a break from looking at your lure.

watch out for some young blokes standing on top of the weir as they have this very frustrating habit of shining torches into the water and they seem to shut down after that....your best bet when these clowns come along is to either go home or get on top and join them because you'll need to cast further out as the bass will vacate the area close to the weir.

so grab some thongs and get your feet wet and get amongst it mate.

good luck

What bait do you use for the mullet in the Nepean, I fancy giving it a go one time as have family up there but not sure what to do..Cheers

If all else fails I'll give some lures a crack and see if any bass are interested