Down Rigging Decorum

wrinkley

I'm likely to upset a few people here, but i've raised this subject due to my being continually annoyed with the down rigger brigade.

Firstly, i know that not all DR peoples behave like this.

The behaviour in question are the boats that downrig coming within 10 - 15 feet of your boat. ( have had them closer than that too ), and seem to think that this is ok !!

You wouldnt ( I wouldnt ) arrive at a location and drop the pick this distance from another fisho, so why do many of the down rigging guys think that its ok to pass this close ??

I have now had 3 down riggers bombs around my anchore rope, and upwords of 10 of my lines being tangled with the downriggers.

All i'm asking for is for the boats to pass at a greater distance, perhaps the length of a decent cast, say 50 or 60 feet.

Wrinks

Mate i know that many dr's do go quite close to anchored boats but at times ( not always) i have done it aswell, mainly because there are certain people out there who seem to like anchoring right on top of a wreck....If someone anchors on a wreck they should expect other boats to come close to them.....

Thats the beauty of Downrigging or trolling.......you are paying others respect in not sitting on top of a prime fishing location and making impossible for others to fish......

Downrigging is a part of fishing in Sydney now and it is done quite often...what i would say is learn to live with it...or as they say.....if you cant beat em join em......

Mate i know that many dr's do go quite close to anchored boats but at times ( not always) i have done it aswell, mainly because there are certain people out there who seem to like anchoring right on top of a wreck....If someone anchors on a wreck they should expect other boats to come close to them.....

Thats the beauty of Downrigging or trolling.......you are paying others respect in not sitting on top of a prime fishing location and making impossible for others to fish......

Downrigging is a part of fishing in Sydney now and it is done quite often...what i would say is learn to live with it...or as they say.....if you cant beat em join em......

I would say its first in best dressed. If someone is up earlier and anchored at a prime spot before the rest then he should not have to tolerate others coming close alongside, let alone dragging bombs through anchor and fishing lines. Most spots should be able to fish at least 3 boats anyway.

Its much like the boat that cruises or sometimes flies past you within 5m. No excuse for that and it is not just Kn*bheads in big, fast boats. I have had other fishermen do the same.

I hear what you are saying loud and clear wrinkley.

Edited by humesy

I've had a session where I was downrigging around another raider's boat (as close as 3-4m away) and we never got tangled and both caught a lot of fish. I am convinced the downrigger attracted fish to his baits, and his baits attracted fish to the downrigger.

You do have to be careful, and we never pick up anchor lines unless people give us no room to manouvre, for example one day at a marker a guy was sitting right next to it with around 40 m of anchor rope out upstream and a livey under a small float (very hard to see) around 20-30m downstream. He was effectively making a huge barrier next to the marker, and even though we gave him huge amounts of room we still caught up to him once.

If there a lot of boats around a mark though, we either anchor or try elsewhere... but to suggest you stay 40m away from boats at anchor when downrigging means on a saturday or sunday you can't downrig at all, since there is at least one boat on top of all the spots.

I would hope people can just be tolerant of each other's fishing methods. You will sometimes get bombs on your anchor when people are learning, and sometimes like netic said people will anchor right over a wreck smashing the wreck up with their anchor and making it hard for anyone else to fish the site.

Good luck with the kingies!

+1 especially to those that anchor up on wrecks and structure, Come on guys, think of the possible damage your causing this fish holding structure. Not nice to ruin this for others is it?

This has been a heated topic before! It turned out that the guys causing all the fuss were anchored in a NO ANCHOR area.

Wrinkley doesn't actually mention wrecks here. Only a small proportion of kingy holding areas are wrecks and anchoring on them is a separate issue. You can fish above a wreck without anchoring on it. Still no reason someone with a downrigger should come along afterwards and stuff up your rigs. Guys learning should do it away from crowded areas.

Wrinkley doesn't actually mention wrecks here. Only a small proportion of kingy holding areas are wrecks and anchoring on them is a separate issue. You can fish above a wreck without anchoring on it. Still no reason someone with a downrigger should come along afterwards and stuff up your rigs. Guys learning should do it away from crowded areas.

Downrigging, trolling, coming alongside for a sp flick - it is common sense and sensibility that dictates that you give a respectful distance.

If you get there and other boats have taken poll position - too bad - have the respect to go fish plan b dont just point the bow into their lines. Maybe head out a little earlier next time...

Thats all fair enough (except there quite a few wrecks in the harbour that we fish for kings :P). Accidents will always happen though, and as long as people are reasonable I think we can all coexist. Thankfully there are a lot of areas that hold kings in the harbour.

Appologies for bringing up old ground, that was my 4th or 5th ever comment on the site.

As for wrecks ??

i wish i knew where they all are. I am aware of only 1 wreck in pittwater, which IS in a safe anchoring area. however have never anchored there due to the calerpa taxifola weed that is present in that area, and appears to be moving sthward towards bayview at a great rate.

Oh, hats off to the fella with the long anchore rope.

The minium recomended length of anchore rope to be used, is 3 times the depth, 8 times is the ideal length to give the correct horizontal pull so as to hold correctly and not damage the bottom, and i might add is well away from any wreck, and causeing any damage to it.

Mate wrecks were mentioned but what he said doesnt apply only to wrecks.....lets say the Wedding cake for example.......are u telling me that because a boat may be anchored near it i amj supposed to stay 40 metres away.....that means i cant fish the wedding cake at all......

Remember people that you fish in one of the busiest cities in the world when it comes to water craft....Sydney harbour especially....stop being selfish and allow other types of fishos to enjoy it aswell...

I have never got caught in a anchor rope but if i did whats the big issue.....i will reverse and get it....were not animals.....its happens.....we fix it and go about our fishing again.....some people just have to loosen up and remember fishing is a recreational activity

this has all been said before. As expressed last time there is no answer that we will all be happy with . The topic was closed.

Old Topic

Haha just read that link - it seems you harbour fishos have a whole world of tension going on down there that doesnt even exist up in broken bay or further north.. understandable I guess if you have dopey ppl dragging bombs around anchored boats and at the same time have dopey boats anchoring in the wash of a bloke working a patch using downriggers...

might be plenty of kings down in the harbour, but for me, fishing is all about the serenity...

I think some people may get annoyed at times and it can be frustrating when :05: but as they say that's fishing !!!

As a non downrigger (yet) i think its just like if you were to get tangled with another line,nobody likes it but what's the big deal at the end of the day untangle it and carry on.

Just thought id throw my 2cents in !

Cheers

Geoff. :biggrin2:

Mate wrecks were mentioned but what he said doesnt apply only to wrecks.....lets say the Wedding cake for example.......are u telling me that because a boat may be anchored near it i amj supposed to stay 40 metres away.....that means i cant fish the wedding cake at all......

Remember people that you fish in one of the busiest cities in the world when it comes to water craft....Sydney harbour especially....stop being selfish and allow other types of fishos to enjoy it aswell...

I have never got caught in a anchor rope but if i did whats the big issue.....i will reverse and get it....were not animals.....its happens.....we fix it and go about our fishing again.....some people just have to loosen up and remember fishing is a recreational activity

I don't want to inflame this one but it might help if you read more carefully. The post is about guys coming within 10-15ft of the boat and tangling lines, not being asked to stay 40 m away. If you can see the direction of an anchor line or notice the prevailing wind, I am sure a downrigger can be used at the same locations, you just have to come in from the side, but not so close as to tangle lines, as I'm sure you do. As others have said, its first in best dressed and common courtesy would dictate that someone anchored at a spot should not have his fishing interrupted by someone coming along later, downrigger or no downrigger.

I see a good solution.... downrig past a boat parallel to it when you can and not across it so you wont get tangled in anything..simple..

You are not iterfearing with masive waves as downrigging is at veryslow speed and I DONT agree that first in and all the rest can get stuffed. Its called courtesy and sharing just because you got to the linef at the casher first DOESNT mean its your casher...

My 2 bob anyway

What Wrinkley has to say is absolutely one hundred percent correct!

Give the guy some space. He is out there fishing his style and enjoying his time on the water!

He has as much right to be there as we do to down rig. We all need to adhere to the rules that stipulate safe distance and a little bit of common courtesy doesn't hurt either!

As some one that has down rigged (And caught a few) It astonishes me that people think it is there right to get under another boat because it is there and in the way.

:thumbdown:

Robbie.

Indeed VA911 I was expecting this to develop into a non-productive thread. :thumbdown:

And now it is closed yet again :ranting2:

mrsswordie

Actually I think it might be more productive if those of you who commented here (or any other member who wants to) might help us all out by getting together a list of "do's and don'ts" or a downrigging ettiquette" post. Please make it informative and a general guide to newcomers to this activity.

I will pin it and members can be linked to it at any time :biggrin2:

Looking forward to your submissions and/or comments via my pm please :thumbup:

mrsswordie