The One That Got Away..(more Luck On 2nd Day, First Fish In Oz!)

Jonas77

*First Post*

Went down to Jones Bay, Pyrmont today for my first taste of Australian fishing (recently moved from UK)

Tried some different baits, spoke to some old guy who said you used mince meat mixed with egg white etc, but not sure how to make it stick properly for the water (tips please?)

Ended up using some prawns, lost a couple of fish one being a nice flounder (I think!) but will give it another shot later in the week. Quite a few nibbles, but only a couple of big bites so im guessing lots of little fish biting near the pier edge.

Anyone have any tips for this area?

Cheers

John

Edited by Jonas77

Hi Jonas,

:1welcomeani: to FishRaider

The fishing in Sydney is fantasic and I'm sure you are going to catch plenty of fish.

I must say that I have not done much fishing around that area, but I can only

imagine there is plenty of structure and structure holds lots of fish. Best tip I can

give is make sure you berley (bread is ok) and use fresh or live bait.

Cheers

Luke

Hi jonas,

welcome mate. I am not sure of the area you are fishing however there are normally plenty of leatherjacket in the harbour around the piers and jetty pilons. Use 2 small long shank hooks rigged paternoster style and some peeled prawn or small pieces of squid and drop your line close to the structure in fairly deep water. You may have to try different areas until you find them but they are normally there. You can also pick up good bream this way.

good luck.

t'n'k.

G'day John,

:1welcomeani: to Fishraider. Heaps and heaps of fishy opportunities in Oz so it won't be long before you start tangling with some more good fish. You've come to the right place to get some good tips and help finding your way around... always Raiders ready to help out.

Cheers, Slinky

Welcome to the site mate & welcome to Oz.

So, that ad about the bundy rum is true...... or is there another reason you moved out here? :biggrin2:

Mate, fishing over here is endless. So many spots, so many things to try. It wont be long untill your caught up in the soft plastic craze.

Good luck.

Edited by Tangles

So I went back to Pyrmont today, and armed with a couple of new pier rigs and prawns had a couple of hours in the afternoon.

Unlike yesterday when I lost the fishes, today I caught my first fishes from Sydney Harbour!!

3 fish in total caught, one being a small bream and then a 30cm silver trevally (Thanks Jigholio for the advice!) so that was good.

Even though overcast today, it's still warmer fishing in Australia than the UK :1fishing1:

n661545026_1968813_9513.jpg

n661545026_1968814_9246.jpg

Edited by Jonas77

Well done on the nice trevally, Jonas & :1welcomeani::1welcomeani: to both Fishraider & Aussie! :) They can pull really hard!

What sort of fish did you 'go for' back in the UK?? Got any pics of previous catches?? It'd be great to see some species we don't catch over here.

Cheerio

Roberta

*First Post*

Went down to Jones Bay, Pyrmont today for my first taste of Australian fishing (recently moved from UK)

Tried some different baits, spoke to some old guy who said you used mince meat mixed with egg white etc, but not sure how to make it stick properly for the water (tips please?)

Ended up using some prawns, lost a couple of fish one being a nice flounder (I think!) but will give it another shot later in the week. Quite a few nibbles, but only a couple of big bites so im guessing lots of little fish biting near the pier edge.

Anyone have any tips for this area?

Cheers

John

Hi Jonas, welcome to the mecca of fishing here in Aus, like you i jumped the pond from not so sunny Uk 2 years ago and after never ever been sea fishing or beach (trout fisherman in the Uk) I can say with all honesty that the fishing here is fantastic and the excellent help you get off fishraiders is first class, there are so many species to target and almost all of them taste better that cod, just keep asking the questions on this site and im sure you will pick it all up really quickly, if you look on some og the past thrteads you wil find that they have perch ( redfin) and carp here and both are much easier to catch than at home and the perch grow much bigger on average

Anyway mate tight lines and good luck

Steve

Yeah no worries on the eating fish problem, I have been warned by a few folk not to do this! I think I read on the NSW fisheries page that harbour is catch and release, although I may have imagined that?

Luckily I come from a culture of catch and release in the UK, especially some of the waters I would fish in London so not going to eat anything just yet :1fishing1:

Yeah no worries on the eating fish problem, I have been warned by a few folk not to do this! I think I read on the NSW fisheries page that harbour is catch and release, although I may have imagined that?

Luckily I come from a culture of catch and release in the UK, especially some of the waters I would fish in London so not going to eat anything just yet :1fishing1:

if you think about it though, there is plenty of other harmful things we do in life without a second thought. eg smoking cigs. Think of a treva as a cigarette. One or two wouldn't make that much difference.

The only reason there is a ban at the moment is because the WHO dropped it's threshold for what was considered acceptable levels of dioxin. The problem has been around for at least fifty years and there are generations of us who grew up on harbour caught bream and the like.

Great catch by the way. Don't they fight hard? Great fun on light gear. Congrats.

• 2 weeks later...

My continued learning curve of fishing in Sydney saw me go down to Watsons Bay last night.

Turned out to be a fun couple of hours, a few small fish caught with mainly bream but also had a cuttlefish, and I got an Octopus!!

I was quite shocked by this as the lakes in central London aren't the places for creatures from horror movies :1prop: I do have a question though, how do you unhook one?

Edited by Jonas77

My continued learning curve of fishing in Sydney saw me go down to Watsons Bay last night.

Turned out to be a fun couple of hours, a few small fish caught with mianly bream but also had a cuttlefish, and I got an Octopus!!

I waa quite shocked by this as the lakes in central London aren't the places for creatures from horror movies :1prop: I do have a question though, how do you unhook one?

Tap him on the head, wait a few seconds and go to tap him again. When he raises his tentacles over his head to proctect himself just quickly pull the hook out.

On a serious note mate be wary if it is small with bluish spots cut the line quick. They are not good.

Tap him on the head, wait a few seconds and go to tap him again. When he raises his tentacles over his head to proctect himself just quickly pull the hook out.

On a serious note mate be wary if it is small with bluish spots cut the line quick. They are not good.

Thanks for that, IF I ever hook into one again i'll know what to do..Thanks for the heads up about the blue ring, my friend also told me so i'll be on the look out.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I would drop a line off the rocks near Coogee, as I am living down that way at the moment.

Went for an hour or so last night, and got a couple of flathead (I think) and a couple more fell as i lifted them up the rocks about 25ft.

Like all good fisherman I lost a good one too, not sure if it was a Flattie or not as it took me back and forth againt the surf, so quite strong?

Good times, i'll go back for sure.

:1welcomeani: to fish raider. Good to see your getting into a few fish in sydney.... Ive been over in london since march and still havent wet a line yet!!!! Its killing me as the spare time i do get is used for my first love surfing so i still havent managed a fish yet! Fingers crossed there is talk of a charter soon!