Anti Virus Program?

mr magoo

Mr Magoo,

You should NEVER pay for any software if you can help it!-( I will get into trouble :wife: from others for saying this), but if it is there for free why not?.

Some good software for antivirus are: Bit Defender, or AVG. Norton is crap. Also, you should be using Mozilla Firefox as your web browser rather than IE5, it is way safer.

if you have any trouble let me know, i would be glad to help.

cheers,

Matt

hi Arman,

most of the decent antivirus packages rate the same protection these days,some miss this and some miss that but most catch the nasty ones as long as a signature has been updated for it...

ive been using avg free and its stopped everything for the last few years and i frequent some questionable sites that open you to more dangers....

here is the link http://www.download.com/AVG-Anti-Virus-Fre...&tag=button

nortons is very,very resource hungry and has been known to have conflicts sometimes so i never reccomend that when others are just as good run cleaner and some are free...

try some research on cnet http://reviews.cnet.com/?tag=hdr

or pcauthority http://www.pcauthority.com.au/Download/121...free-80169.aspx

the most important thing is to keep it updated at all times and set it to scan frequently..

its amazing how many pc i fix and see that last scan was mths or even over a yr in one case,no wonder they got hit.....

theres other free ones as well that are good but i can only comment on what ive used and most people i know use it as well..

hope this helps....

cheers...steve......

hi Arman,

ive been using avg free and its stopped everything for the last few years and i frequent some questionable sites that open you to more dangers....

theres other free ones as well that are good but i can only comment on what ive used and most people i know use it as well..

hope this helps....

cheers...steve......

I just downloaded the AVG and then had it do a scan. 616 Errors it found and would fix only 20 for free. WTF?To fix any more I have to purchase the software. The errors are not major - shortcuts on the desktop without links, etc.

I am running Norton 2009 and it seems to be limited in what it can detect and remove.

Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool seems to be pretty good also.

I really have no idea to be honest, my repairman does what's needed and he has loaded these programs on my PC.

Lets not confuse diferent types of software - is is better to have a dedicated on for each task, than a combo that does everything but at average at best.

For the antivrus - I'd suggest (freeware) AVG

For the malware/spyware removal - perhaps (despite recent changes) - adaware from Lavasoft. The free version would work fine with AVG resident/realtime protection (btw I use AVG 8 free and it never stopped after 20 errros - though I rarely have that much :D )

For the broken shortcuts, etc - perhaps CCLeaner will do for you?

HTH

Update: went through some sites that are known for leaving tracing cookies (sort of spyware). AVG 8 free detected all of them, (about 35, so more than 20) and moved to the valut no questions asked.

Edited by Kruzenvax

Always only go to the original site to get free download ( they may direct you elsewhere) as there are many sites that have simiilar names. I have used both of these and not had any unexpected issues. I like the others would avoid Norton where possible.

Adaware by lavasoft

www.lavasoft.com

Cache cleaner

www.ccleaner.com

Edited by pelican

One of your best defences against virii is NOT TO USE INTERNET EXPLORER. 85% of the computers in the world use it , and the *&%^$# who write these virrii know that.

There are a few good ones , Opera , Firefox , mozilla , even Netscape. You will find that most of them are far more functional than IE , and much safer from infection ( but NOT Immune).

Ross

cheers...steve......

Steve I'm disappointed :thumbdown: that you admit to going on the Canterbury Bulldogs forum site :074:

a Roosterman should know better

Chris

Steve I'm disappointed :thumbdown: that you admit to going on the Canterbury Bulldogs forum site :074:

a Roosterman should know better

Chris

chris mate.... you should know i would never go there as NO program will protect you from the sh#t that goes on there...

as for the topic, as ross said..... DO NOT USE INTERNET EXPLORER

anything to do with bill gates is a target and also most people use it so it has a bigger target base...

other browsers are not immune but a little safer..

if you need IE (these days sites are coded for firefox etc good)then you can get an add-on that allows "open with IE" with a simple right click on links...

always scan downloaded files with updated scanners and if you browse the x rated sites expect to have nasties trying to infiltrate you....

most cookies are just harmless data and somes onsold to advertisers and the like but some can be insidious and dangerous...

with pc's you should know how to do some basic housekeeping like...

regular backing up stuff you value

regular scanning with updated scanners

deleting temp files

uninstall programs not needed anymore using proper uninstall methods

avoid the free-ware games/apps etc as these are usually always loaded with extra stuff that is basically spyware etc...

just a bit to think about guys.....

use common sense and you should be able to keep safe and minimize having to get the experts in to fix a buggered pc...

and also save your sanity while not being able to surf raider :1prop:

cheers...steve.....

we're running Nod (not free does have 1 month free trial) very good, updates at least once a day and will send anything unknown off to be seen to. Also have Threatfire (again, updates at least once a day), and also have a-squared free, which is a root scanner or somesuch.

Have been running this setup on four different computers for well over 2 years with no probs.