Good Squid

chocofallon

Hi all,

My brother and I hit lake macquarie this morning planning on getting few table fish. Started out pooring rain and pretty crappy conditions so we headed out the channel sent a few baits out but after a few lost rigs due to snags and only a sargent baker boated we went for a troll down the coast for nil.

Up went the lures and we had an hour or so untill we had too pull the boat up so we rigged up the squid jigs to see if we could muster a few kingie baits for next time. First cast I was on and a big squid boated and then my brother landed two shortly after. It went like that for a while landing the rest of them and dropping quiet a few more. We were surprised so many were this big. So a bad day on the fish but the freezer is full of good bait and calamari is on the menu tomorrow night.

post-4631-1226219840_thumb.jpg

post-4631-1226219859_thumb.jpg

So all in all a good day.

Cheers,

Joe

Great work Joe.

Plenty of calamari and bait there.

Did you get all of them in one spot? Surprising to see so many that sized grouped together if so.

Cheers

Josh

Gday Josh within about 100 metres of each other really surprising as usually we have found one or two of that size together. so we were stoked with the catch. I reckon I lost one or two that were bigger.

Joe

Stuff the Kingy baits, bring on dinner :yahoo:

penguin

We couldn't let all of them go to the freezer. A couple of them are soaking in milk for tonights dinner.

Nice squid Joe and Arch,

It’s a shame Arch cant play football as well as he fishes :biggrin2: ……. Go Loko…..

Cheers Bob

Gday Bob,

how are you mate? Yes I think you should put Arch in goals from now on as I gave him plenty of practice with the net :1prop: Hope all is well mate and have to catch up for a fish and a beer on the harbour when I'm down.

Cheers,

Joe

nice catch of squid there boys..

soaking the squid in milk prior to cooking it is meant to tenderise it from what ive heard..

i always prepare and cut it all up in rings then soak it in milk for a few hours.. :thumbup:

cheers steve

Nice squid Joe and Arch,

It’s a shame Arch cant play football as well as he fishes :biggrin2: ……. Go Loko…..

Cheers Bob

You'll keep my friend!

But with the space my gut is taking up in the picture bob, i'll cover half the goals anyway. Could be an option for 09'

That is if I dont take up professional squiding.

Arch

I second that!

I agree guys they aren't all for the freezer

We ate a couple of them last night. They had been soaked in milk all night and my first batch I stuffed up tried frying them on a hot pan with garlic, sweet chilli, salt and pepper but they came out rubbery. Sedcond batch floured, spiced dipped in egg and crumbed into the hot oil and....Awesome.

Brilliant squid session there, Joe!! Would have loved to see the bigger ones that got off!! I really must try it around the weed beds here! Usually forget to take the jigs with me tho.

WHich jig did the damage this time?? Do you live there or visiting?

How about we have a Squid Social at Lake Macquarie!! I'll be there for one! You can show us the spot!! :wacko:

Glad you cooked some up for a feed. My brother Sails does a terrific squid 'fry up' and literally only cooks them for a number of seconds (with a timer) in the hot oil! Whenever I've tried stir frying them, they've been tough too. :mad3:

Well done

Roberta

Which jig did the damage this time?? Do you live there or visiting?

Gday Roberta,

Yep Lake Mac is home now but originally from Sydney so I'm trying to learn how the lake fishes. The first couple were caught on a orange yo zuri size 3 and a couple on a pink you zuri 2.5. However the one that did most of the damage was a size 3 yo zuri its has brown stripes and a green lines on it's back.

I don't know about the squid social in the lake as I have spent a lot of time for no results. But practice is starting to pay off in the bait gathering I just need to find the king fish up here. I just bought a new sounder so If I can't find them with that and don't bring home a kingie soon she will divorce me.

Cheers,

Joe

.... If I can't find them with that and don't bring home a kingie soon she will divorce me.....

I hope not! :wacko: Hang one or more of those smaller squiddies out the back & I reckon you should get whacked!! :biggrin2: Even bringing home the squiddies was success in itself! :)

Thanks for that info Joe - looks like I need more tackle!! :wacko:

Cheerio

Roberta