New Profish Yak

spongy

Guys,

I just took the dive and went out and bought a Viking Profish yak.

Hope I can learn everything I can from you experienced yakkers out there.

Looks like I will be spending more time in my new toy than in my boat in the next month or so.

Cant wait to hook up my Sydney kingies from a yak.....

Anyone heading out onto Sydney Harbour in a yak keen to catch up for a paddle?

BTW, Thanks Pete from GoFish for a great deal on the Profish.

Jeff

Mate its my dream to catch a king from a yak but with a stuffed back at the moment Im not game. I usually creep around Narrabeen lake and chase estuary fish, its much more physically managable. Not much I could tell you about paddle yak fishing tho, I chose the easy (and sane :1prop: ) option and bought a hobie! (sorry paddlers, I do admire your determination)

Mate its my dream to catch a king from a yak but with a stuffed back at the moment Im not game. I usually creep around Narrabeen lake and chase estuary fish, its much more physically managable. Not much I could tell you about paddle yak fishing tho, I chose the easy (and sane :1prop: ) option and bought a hobie! (sorry paddlers, I do admire your determination)

hobies are agood yak BUT they are twice the price of a tempo and they are Not twice the kayak .......

ill get a hobie in a few years time but for my needs now the tempo was ideal .

hobies are agood yak BUT they are twice the price of a tempo and they are Not twice the kayak .......

Yeah I like the tempo. I was actually originally looking for a tempo, but decided the more streamlined Profish would be slightly more efficent at the cost of load carrying capacity and stability.

Hope to see you out on the water.

Jeff

No I wasnt implying anything other than a hobie is a lesser yak. The ONLY thing a hobie has over anything else is having your hands free and stealth, which for my kind of fishing is a huge advantage. If I was into trolling and more open water stuff, it wouldnt be a huge deal and Id prefer to paddle simply cuz I love to paddle, but trying to sneak up on a weedbed in a metre of very quiet backwater I cant even see as an option in a paddle yak (feel free to correct me if im wrong). Yeah theyre pricey but they suit my needs, and I agree - why spend more if you dont need to.

Edited by yakfishing

No I wasnt implying anything other than a hobie is a lesser yak. The ONLY thing a hobie has over anything else is having your hands free and stealth, which for my kind of fishing is a huge advantage. If I was into trolling and more open water stuff, it wouldnt be a huge deal and Id prefer to paddle simply cuz I love to paddle, but trying to sneak up on a weedbed in a metre of very quiet backwater I cant even see as an option in a paddle yak (feel free to correct me if im wrong). Yeah theyre pricey but they suit my needs, and I agree - why spend more if you dont need to.

yakfishing

you can sneak up in shallow water i do it all the time in narrabeen chasing flaties and bream in the tempo ..

But i do like the idea of hands free fishing so its only a matter of time before i get a hobie ....

might see ya on the lake sometime

craig

yakfishing

you can sneak up in shallow water i do it all the time in narrabeen chasing flaties and bream in the tempo ..

But i do like the idea of hands free fishing so its only a matter of time before i get a hobie ....

might see ya on the lake sometime

craig

Do you have padding around the paddle or something when you do that? Thats the only thing I worry about when it comes to stealth with paddles, when you put the thing down it sounds so loud and it would be worse underwater. I dont even like opening my tacklebox in those situations. Maybe im just overly paranoid

Sorry for hijacking your thread Jeff, but this is probably useful information for you too.

Do you have padding around the paddle or something when you do that? Thats the only thing I worry about when it comes to stealth with paddles, when you put the thing down it sounds so loud and it would be worse underwater. I dont even like opening my tacklebox in those situations. Maybe im just overly paranoid

Sorry for hijacking your thread Jeff, but this is probably useful information for you too.

no padding it can sit the padle on my lap without to many dramas , i know what you mean about being paranoid though , i believe its a skill that has to be learnt so as to take full advantage of the stelph a yak can deliver .one of the reasons i love fishing from these craft is the stelph side of it .

love sneeking up on a fish and blasting out an sp and watch it being taken .........

cheers

craig

In both my Sit in and Hobie, I had a Ping Pong Bat tied with bungy to the side of the yak, so that when drifting, I can make discreet changes in direction, slow down or even stop by 'back paddling' it. It was long enough to reach both sides of the yak. It is surprisingly efficient - 'specially in the hobie if you are heading towards oyster covered structure or rocks & can't turn in time & haven't got the paddle in hand. I now just use my net instead - it also works surprisingly well & allows me to make tighter turns, too!

I am sure you will work out something similar for 'quiet manoevuring!'

Cheers

Roberta

In both my Sit in and Hobie, I had a Ping Pong Bat tied with bungy to the side of the yak, so that when drifting, I can make discreet changes in direction, slow down or even stop by 'back paddling' it. It was long enough to reach both sides of the yak. It is surprisingly efficient - 'specially in the hobie if you are heading towards oyster covered structure or rocks & can't turn in time & haven't got the paddle in hand. I now just use my net instead - it also works surprisingly well & allows me to make tighter turns, too!

Cheers

Roberta

you see this is why you should be writing a book :1prop::1prop:

Cheers

Roberta

That is an excellent solution Roberta, :thumbup:

I will be adding one to my Malibu Mini X on the next outing, As soon as I get My ute back from the Smash repairs :thumbup: