Closure Of Gaden Trout Hatchery - Jindabyne

ADDIT: SEE MY POST HERE FOR A PETITION TO DOWNLOAD AND FILL IN PLEASE

mrsswordfisherman

Just got this in my inbox :1badmood:

Closure of Gaden Trout Hatchery - Jindabyne

A century of trout stocking poured down the drain for a short term gain.

Fellow anglers,

The NSW government has announced in its Mini-budget of 11 November 2008 cost-cutting

measures including “Consolidation of excess offices and research stations over the next three years

at Alstonville, Berry, Condobolin, Glen Innes, Gosford, Griffith, Temora, and Jindabyne Hatchery.”

On 12 November Hon Ian Macdonald, Minister for Primary Industries announced in a media release

“Eight facilities that are no longer needed by the Department will be closed,” he said. “These facilities

are at Alstonville, Berry, Condobolin, Glen Innes, Gosford, Griffith, Jindabyne Hatchery and Temora.”

So, the primary trout hatchery in NSW, with its irreplaceable stock of disease free trout and salmon,

is ‘no longer needed’!

The importance of Gaden Trout Hatchery to our trout fishery in NSW hardly needs explaining to

fellow anglers, but it appears that the State government doesn’t understand it at all, and is prepared

to shut or flog off the most important trout fishery asset built in NSW in the last 120 years of trout

fishing.

The only way to stop this happening is to put immediate and intense pressure on the State

government to stop the sale or closure. If you have any interest at all in the future of trout fishing as

a pastime, or in the future of the economies of many regional centres in NSW that depend on fishing

based tourism, PLEASE take some time and contact as many people as you can, by post, email or

phone, and make your views clear.

You should contact members of the NSW Labor government, asking them to reverse this decision;

you should ask members of the NSW opposition parties for support on this issue; you should contact

local government mayors and councillors and express your concern that closure of Gaden Trout

Hatchery will affect local economies; and you should raise the issue in local newspapers.

:1onono:

Just got this in my inbox :1badmood:

Closure of Gaden Trout Hatchery - Jindabyne

A century of trout stocking poured down the drain for a short term gain.

Fellow anglers,

The NSW government has announced in its Mini-budget of 11 November 2008 cost-cutting

measures including “Consolidation of excess offices and research stations over the next three years

at Alstonville, Berry, Condobolin, Glen Innes, Gosford, Griffith, Temora, and Jindabyne Hatchery.”

On 12 November Hon Ian Macdonald, Minister for Primary Industries announced in a media release

“Eight facilities that are no longer needed by the Department will be closed,” he said. “These facilities

are at Alstonville, Berry, Condobolin, Glen Innes, Gosford, Griffith, Jindabyne Hatchery and Temora.”

So, the primary trout hatchery in NSW, with its irreplaceable stock of disease free trout and salmon,

is ‘no longer needed’!

The importance of Gaden Trout Hatchery to our trout fishery in NSW hardly needs explaining to

fellow anglers, but it appears that the State government doesn’t understand it at all, and is prepared

to shut or flog off the most important trout fishery asset built in NSW in the last 120 years of trout

fishing.

The only way to stop this happening is to put immediate and intense pressure on the State

government to stop the sale or closure. If you have any interest at all in the future of trout fishing as

a pastime, or in the future of the economies of many regional centres in NSW that depend on fishing

based tourism, PLEASE take some time and contact as many people as you can, by post, email or

phone, and make your views clear.

You should contact members of the NSW Labor government, asking them to reverse this decision;

you should ask members of the NSW opposition parties for support on this issue; you should contact

local government mayors and councillors and express your concern that closure of Gaden Trout

Hatchery will affect local economies; and you should raise the issue in local newspapers.

:1onono:

Just got the same from Steve Williamson Jyndy guide...........Let's shut down all the hatcheries and undo 40 years of trout stocking.. Great Idea Macdonald..Why don't you get rid lof the useless marine Parks while your at it.

If any fisherman votes for these clowns next elections the need to see a shrink.

Ross

Some more reading for you Ross.

:thumbup:

A short history of Gaden Trout Hatchery

Early hatcheries in the Snowy Mountains

The New South Wales Rod Fishers’ Society was involved in the construction of the first hatchery in the Snowy

Mountains at the old Kosciusko Hotel on Diggers Creek in 1907. In 1924 that hatchery was dismantled and re-

erected near the site of The Creel guest house. This hatchery became a joint operation of the Society, the

Fisheries Department and the NSW Tourist Bureau. It was closed in 1941 because of the war and later the

equipment, along with that from the Caldwell Hatchery on the Maclaughlin River, was used to construct the

Gaden Trout Hatchery on the Thredbo River at Jindabyne.

There was also a very early hatchery at Cooma, built around 1929 by local enthusiasts of the Cooma

Fishermen’s Club. The hatchery equipment and building was moved to the Caldwell Hatchery on the

Maclaughlin River in 1939 by members of the recently formed Monaro Acclimatisation Society and much of

the same equipment was later used to build the Gaden Trout Hatchery on the Thredbo.

The Gaden Trout Hatchery

After the end of the War, the Monaro Acclimatisation Society reviewed the operation of the Caldwell Hatchery

and realised that the water supply at the hatchery site was inadequate.

In May 1948 an inspection of a site on the Thredbo River at Paddys Corner owned by Mr Bill Napthali was

carried out by representatives from Fisheries Branch, the Department of Public Works, the Monaro

Acclimatisation Society and the Shire Council. Work commenced shortly afterwards—the old Creel Hatchery

building was erected on site to provide temporary accommodation for the hatchery supervisor, Mr Reuben

Payten, who started work with the assistance of volunteers from the Monaro Acclimatisation Society.

The Caldwell and Tumut Hatcheries ceased operations after the 1950 season and their buildings were

dismantled and transported to the new Thredbo Hatchery and re-erected. Much of the equipment from the

three older hatcheries was recycled.

The official opening occurred on 31 October 1953, although work was not complete. The new complex was

named the Gaden Trout Hatchery after Mr Jim Gaden, one of the pioneers in trout acclimatisation in the area.

By 1956-57 Gaden Trout Hatchery as well as Burraga Hatchery and LP Dutton Hatchery at Ebor were

completed but production of ova from brood fish was inadequate—some 500,000 being obtained which was

supplemented by about 800,000 ova imported by the acclimatisation societies which were encountering some

financial difficulties in meeting costs.

Therefore during 1957–58, discussions started between the acclimatisation societies and the NSW

Government about management of the three main hatcheries being passed to the Fisheries Department. On 1

January 1959, on the recommendation of the Trout Advisory Council following a request from the three major

acclimatisation societies, Gaden Trout Hatchery, LP Dutton Hatchery and Burraga Hatchery came under the

control of the Fisheries Branch, Chief Secretary’s Department with supervisors being appointed to each

hatchery. In 1960–61 Burraga Hatchery was closed and its equipment relocated to Gaden.

Over the past 50 years the Gaden Trout Hatchery has been run by a dedicated succession of managers and

staff, supported by members of the acclimatisation societies and other fishing clubs. The facilities have been

continually improved, indeed in the last couple of years approximately $240,000 of anglers’ fishing licence

trust fund money has been poured into the facility to build a new hatching shed.

The Alpine Angler

Some more reading for you Ross.

:thumbup:

A short history of Gaden Trout Hatchery

Early hatcheries in the Snowy Mountains

The New South Wales Rod Fishers’ Society was involved in the construction of the first hatchery in the Snowy

Mountains at the old Kosciusko Hotel on Diggers Creek in 1907. In 1924 that hatchery was dismantled and re-

erected near the site of The Creel guest house. This hatchery became a joint operation of the Society, the

Fisheries Department and the NSW Tourist Bureau. It was closed in 1941 because of the war and later the

equipment, along with that from the Caldwell Hatchery on the Maclaughlin River, was used to construct the

Gaden Trout Hatchery on the Thredbo River at Jindabyne.

There was also a very early hatchery at Cooma, built around 1929 by local enthusiasts of the Cooma

Fishermen’s Club. The hatchery equipment and building was moved to the Caldwell Hatchery on the

Maclaughlin River in 1939 by members of the recently formed Monaro Acclimatisation Society and much of

the same equipment was later used to build the Gaden Trout Hatchery on the Thredbo.

The Gaden Trout Hatchery

After the end of the War, the Monaro Acclimatisation Society reviewed the operation of the Caldwell Hatchery

and realised that the water supply at the hatchery site was inadequate.

In May 1948 an inspection of a site on the Thredbo River at Paddys Corner owned by Mr Bill Napthali was

carried out by representatives from Fisheries Branch, the Department of Public Works, the Monaro

Acclimatisation Society and the Shire Council. Work commenced shortly afterwards—the old Creel Hatchery

building was erected on site to provide temporary accommodation for the hatchery supervisor, Mr Reuben

Payten, who started work with the assistance of volunteers from the Monaro Acclimatisation Society.

The Caldwell and Tumut Hatcheries ceased operations after the 1950 season and their buildings were

dismantled and transported to the new Thredbo Hatchery and re-erected. Much of the equipment from the

three older hatcheries was recycled.

The official opening occurred on 31 October 1953, although work was not complete. The new complex was

named the Gaden Trout Hatchery after Mr Jim Gaden, one of the pioneers in trout acclimatisation in the area.

By 1956-57 Gaden Trout Hatchery as well as Burraga Hatchery and LP Dutton Hatchery at Ebor were

completed but production of ova from brood fish was inadequate—some 500,000 being obtained which was

supplemented by about 800,000 ova imported by the acclimatisation societies which were encountering some

financial difficulties in meeting costs.

Therefore during 1957–58, discussions started between the acclimatisation societies and the NSW

Government about management of the three main hatcheries being passed to the Fisheries Department. On 1

January 1959, on the recommendation of the Trout Advisory Council following a request from the three major

acclimatisation societies, Gaden Trout Hatchery, LP Dutton Hatchery and Burraga Hatchery came under the

control of the Fisheries Branch, Chief Secretary’s Department with supervisors being appointed to each

hatchery. In 1960–61 Burraga Hatchery was closed and its equipment relocated to Gaden.

Over the past 50 years the Gaden Trout Hatchery has been run by a dedicated succession of managers and

staff, supported by members of the acclimatisation societies and other fishing clubs. The facilities have been

continually improved, indeed in the last couple of years approximately $240,000 of anglers’ fishing licence

trust fund money has been poured into the facility to build a new hatching shed.

The Alpine Angler

Thanks Robbielites,

Mate! it's all bad I have fished Jindy and Eucumbine for 45 years and I never thought in my wildest dreams that some peanut brained bunch of drones, who could not manage a choko vine over a sxxt house in allowing our trout fishery to fall into dissary, after it has achieved so much over so many years....I have a clear conscience .. i didn't vote them in....idiots the lot of them.

Roscoe

Raiders please read and respond - we have just received an email asking for people to sign this petition, download the pdf and send off or send email to Denise

Gaden_Petition__1_.pdf

gaden_petitions_page_2.pdf

Hi

I am the editor of the local newspaper in Jindabyne and am covering the story on Gaden Trout Hatchery and the proposed closure.

There will be a rally on Sunday 16 at 11am at gaden and petitions are being signed. I have attached a petition sent by local member Steve Whan and more details can be found on my website

www.jindabyne.yourguide.com.au

I welcome letters. Please feel free to circulate this as you see fit.

Kind regards

Denise

Denise Dion

Editor, Summit Sun

0429 902 956

6456 1574

denise.dion@ruralpress.com

The Summit Sun's website has local, national and world news - visit:

www.jindabyne.yourguide.com.au

When it comes to fishing issues (MPA's, closure of hatcheries etc), fishos must present a united front, in order to achieve any successful results. I have run off several copies of the PDF and will distribute throughout my company on Monday. Ten minutes of your time is all it will take, Raiders.

Cheers

Hodgey

i think this needs all of us to get this out to as many people as we can...

power to the people i say...stuff this labour mob we have and to the people that voted em in :pokey: ..

i will print out plenty and on my rounds with clients i will be slipping this in when i need signatures for work done :1naughty: ..

cheers....steve........

Edited by roosterman

Just printed mine off ...... I was going to suggest some form of petition & you beat me to it, Donna!! :1prop:

Don't be complacent - do your bit & get this off to as many people as you can!!

Cheers

Roberta

REMEMBER PEOPLE POWER ....... NOT THAT LONG AGO THEY WERE TRYING TO STOP US FROM FISHING ON BALMORAL BEACH!!! PEOPLE POWER STOPPED THAT TOO!!

A few more addresses to shoot emails etc off to ......

(I have finished my emails off with "I FISH AND I VOTE") 3 down, 10 to go!!

People to write to, email or call

NSW government

The Hon Nathan Rees (ALP)

Premier of NSW

GPO Box 5341

SYDNEY NSW 2001

Phone (02) 9228 5239

Email thepremier@www.nsw.gov.au

The Hon Steve Whan (ALP)

Member for Monaro

110-112 Monaro Street

QUEANBEYAN NSW 2620

Phone (02) 6299 4899

Email Monaro@parliament.nsw.gov.au

The Hon Ian Macdonald (ALP)

Minister for Primary Industries

Level 33 Governor Macquarie Tower

1 Farrer Place

Sydney NSW 2000

Phone (02) 9228 3344

Email

macdonald.office@macdonald.minister.nsw.gov.au

The Hon Jodi McKay (ALP)

Minister for Tourism

Minister for Small Business

Level 37 Governor Macquarie Tower

1 Farrer Place

SYDNEY 2000

Phone (02) 9228 5668

Email Newcastle@parliament.nsw.gov.au

The Hon Phillip Costa (ALP)

Minister for Rural Affairs

Minister for Regional Development

Level 34 Governor Macquarie Tower

1 Farrer Place

SYDNEY 2000

Phone (02) 9228 5055

Email office@costa.minister.nsw.gov.au

The Hon Kevin Greene (ALP)

Minister for Sport and Recreation

Level 36 Governor Macquarie Tower

1 Farrer Place

SYDNEY NSW 2000

Phone(02) 9228 5331

Email office@greene.minister.nsw.gov.au

NSW opposition and other parties

Mr Andrew Fraser (Nationals)

Shadow Minister for Primary Industries

1/9 Park Avenue,

COFFS HARBOUR NSW 2450

Phone (02) 6652 6500

Email coffsharbour@parliament.nsw.gov.au

Mr Barry O'Farrell (Liberals)

Leader of the Opposition

Parliament House

Macquarie Street

SYDNEY NSW 2000

Phone (02) 9230 2270

Email LOP@parliament.nsw.gov.au

Mr Andrew Stoner (Nationals)

Leader of The Nationals

Parliament House

Macquarie Street

SYDNEY NSW 2000

Phone (02) 9230 2281

Email oxley@parliament.nsw.gov.au

Mr Adrian Piccoli (Nationals)

Shadow Minister for Regional Development

NSW Government Offices

104-110 Banna Avenue,

GRIFFITH NSW 2680

Phone (02) 6962 6644

Email Murrumbidgee@parliament.nsw.gov.au

The Hon. Duncan Gay (Nationals)

Deputy Leader of the Opposition in the Legislative

Council

Parliament House

Macquarie Street

Sydney NSW 2000

Phone (02) 9230 2329

Email duncan.gay@parliament.nsw.gov.au

The Hon George Souris (Nationals)

Shadow Minister for Sport and Recreation

98 Bridge Street,

MUSWELLBROOK NSW 2333

Phone (02) 6543 1065

Email upperhunter@parliament.nsw.gov.au

Mr Donald Page (Nationals)

Shadow Minister for Tourism

Shop 1, 7 Moon Street,

BALLINA NSW 2478

Phone (02) 6686 7522

Email ballina@parliament.nsw.gov.au

The Hon. Robert Brown (The Shooters Party)

Member of the Legislative Council

Parliament House

Macquarie Street

Sydney NSW 2000

Phone (02) 9230 3059

Fax (02) 9230 2613

Email Robert.brown@parliament.nsw.gov.au

Local government

Mr John Cahill

Mayor, Snowy River Shire Council

2 Myack Street, Berridale

Telephone: (02) 6451 1195

Email records@snowyriver.nsw.gov.au

Other Snowy River Shire councillors to write to

at same address:

Deputy Mayor Councillor Neen Pendergast

Councillor Peter Beer

Councillor Bob Frost

Councillor Tony Hayes

Councillor Jan Leckström

Councillor Kris Laird

Councillor John Shumack

Councillor Bill Smits

Mr Vin Good

Mayor, Cooma-Monaro Shire Council

81 Commissioner Street

Cooma 2630

Telephone: (02) 6450 1777

Email: council@cooma.nsw.gov.au

Other Cooma-Monaro Shire councillors to

write to at same address:

Martin Hughes -Councillor

Tony Kaltoum -Councillor

Jenny Lawlis -Councillor

Dean Lynch -Councillor

Stephanie McDonald -Councillor

Roger Norton -Councillor

Jack Nott -Councillor

Winston Phillips -Councillor

Federal government Letters to the editor

Although the Federal government has no direct say in Mr Martyn Pearce

the way recreational fishing is run in NSW, you can still Editor, Cooma-Monaro Express

express your dissatisfaction about the NSW Labor 51-55 Massie Street

government’s closure of Gaden Trout Hatchery to: Cooma NSW 2630

Email editor.cmexpress@ruralpress.com

The Hon Dr Mike Kelly AM, MP (ALP)

Federal Member for Eden Monaro Ms Gail Eastaway

PO Box 6022 Editor, Monaro Post

House of Representatives 220-226 Sharp Street

Parliament House Cooma, NSW, 2630

Canberra ACT 2600 Email info@monaropost.com.au

Email mike.kelly.mp@aph.gov.au

Letters to the Editor

The Hon Tony Burke MP (ALP) Daily Telegraph

Minister for Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry PO Box 2808

PO Box 6022 Sydney, NSW 2001

House of Representatives Email yoursay@dailytelegraph.com.au

Parliament House

Canberra ACT 2600 Letters to the Editor

Email tony.burke.mp@aph.gov.au Sydney Morning Herald

GPO Box 3771

Sydney 2001

Email letters@smh.com.au

Letters to the Editor

Canberra Times

9 Pirie Street

Fyshwick ACT 2609

Email letters.editor@canberratimes.com.au

It has been suggested ....

When writing your letters...

Write to as many people as possible.

Keep your letters clear, polite and to the point.

Address to each person individually (ie not a photocopied letter or group email)

The portfolios of politicians are noted above, so, make points that are relevant to their particular portfolios.

Also write to your local NSW Member of Parliament. If that person is not listed below, find their contact details on the NSW Parliament website, http://www.parliament.nsw.gov.au.

Do not send attachments with emails - put your message directly into the body of the email.

Numerous individual letters will be more influential than petitions.

Key issues to raise are:

The importance of trout stocking in NSW hatcheries have been needed for over a century to sustain the recreational trout fishery in streams and impoundments.

The importance of hatcheries being managed by government and anglers who have a desire

for equitable and ongoing availability of fish stocks for public angling.

The pivotal role of trout fishing in the Snowy Mountains economy, including jobs based on

angling tourists (estimated in 2001 by Dominion Consulting as $70 million per annum)

The extraordinary contribution made by recreational anglers, clubs and acclimatisation societies over the past 100 years, volunteering time and effort and contributing the financial support that made Gaden Trout Hatchery possible in the first place.

The State governments ongoing dependence on acclimatisation societies to distribute fish from the Gaden Trout Hatchery.

The unique importance of the disease-free trout, brook trout and Atlantic salmon stock held at Gaden.

The lack of any other hatchery operation in the State capable of producing significant amounts of disease free stock.

The waste of over 50 years of investment in this valuable asset if it is sold to the private sector for short term financial gain.

Edited by Roberta

Just printed mine off ...... I was going to suggest some form of petition & you beat me to it, Donna!! :1prop:

Don't be complacent - do your bit & get this off to as many people as you can!!

Cheers

Roberta

REMEMBER PEOPLE POWER ....... NOT THAT LONG AGO THEY WERE TRYING TO STOP US FROM FISHING ON BALMORAL BEACH!!! PEOPLE POWER STOPPED THAT TOO!!

A few more addresses to shoot emails etc off to ......

People to write to, email or call

NSW government

The Hon Nathan Rees (ALP)

Premier of NSW

GPO Box 5341

SYDNEY NSW 2001

Phone (02) 9228 5239

Email thepremier@www.nsw.gov.au

The Hon Steve Whan (ALP)

Member for Monaro

110-112 Monaro Street

QUEANBEYAN NSW 2620

Phone (02) 6299 4899

Email Monaro@parliament.nsw.gov.au

The Hon Ian Macdonald (ALP)

Minister for Primary Industries

Level 33 Governor Macquarie Tower

1 Farrer Place

Sydney NSW 2000

Phone (02) 9228 3344

Email

macdonald.office@macdonald.minister.nsw.gov.au

The Hon Jodi McKay (ALP)

Minister for Tourism

Minister for Small Business

Level 37 Governor Macquarie Tower

1 Farrer Place

SYDNEY 2000

Phone (02) 9228 5668

Email Newcastle@parliament.nsw.gov.au

The Hon Phillip Costa (ALP)

Minister for Rural Affairs

Minister for Regional Development

Level 34 Governor Macquarie Tower

1 Farrer Place

SYDNEY 2000

Phone (02) 9228 5055

Email office@costa.minister.nsw.gov.au

The Hon Kevin Greene (ALP)

Minister for Sport and Recreation

Level 36 Governor Macquarie Tower

1 Farrer Place

SYDNEY NSW 2000

Phone(02) 9228 5331

Email office@greene.minister.nsw.gov.au

NSW opposition and other parties

Mr Andrew Fraser (Nationals)

Shadow Minister for Primary Industries

1/9 Park Avenue,

COFFS HARBOUR NSW 2450

Phone (02) 6652 6500

Email coffsharbour@parliament.nsw.gov.au

Mr Barry O'Farrell (Liberals)

Leader of the Opposition

Parliament House

Macquarie Street

SYDNEY NSW 2000

Phone (02) 9230 2270

Email LOP@parliament.nsw.gov.au

Mr Andrew Stoner (Nationals)

Leader of The Nationals

Parliament House

Macquarie Street

SYDNEY NSW 2000

Phone (02) 9230 2281

Email oxley@parliament.nsw.gov.au

Mr Adrian Piccoli (Nationals)

Shadow Minister for Regional Development

NSW Government Offices

104-110 Banna Avenue,

GRIFFITH NSW 2680

Phone (02) 6962 6644

Email Murrumbidgee@parliament.nsw.gov.au

The Hon. Duncan Gay (Nationals)

Deputy Leader of the Opposition in the Legislative

Council

Parliament House

Macquarie Street

Sydney NSW 2000

Phone (02) 9230 2329

Email duncan.gay@parliament.nsw.gov.au

The Hon George Souris (Nationals)

Shadow Minister for Sport and Recreation

98 Bridge Street,

MUSWELLBROOK NSW 2333

Phone (02) 6543 1065

Email upperhunter@parliament.nsw.gov.au

Mr Donald Page (Nationals)

Shadow Minister for Tourism

Shop 1, 7 Moon Street,

BALLINA NSW 2478

Phone (02) 6686 7522

Email ballina@parliament.nsw.gov.au

The Hon. Robert Brown (The Shooters Party)

Member of the Legislative Council

Parliament House

Macquarie Street

Sydney NSW 2000

Phone (02) 9230 3059

Fax (02) 9230 2613

Email Robert.brown@parliament.nsw.gov.au

Local government

Mr John Cahill

Mayor, Snowy River Shire Council

2 Myack Street, Berridale

Telephone: (02) 6451 1195

Email records@snowyriver.nsw.gov.au

Other Snowy River Shire councillors to write to

at same address:

Deputy Mayor Councillor Neen Pendergast

Councillor Peter Beer

Councillor Bob Frost

Councillor Tony Hayes

Councillor Jan Leckström

Councillor Kris Laird

Councillor John Shumack

Councillor Bill Smits

Mr Vin Good

Mayor, Cooma-Monaro Shire Council

81 Commissioner Street

Cooma 2630

Telephone: (02) 6450 1777

Email: council@cooma.nsw.gov.au

Other Cooma-Monaro Shire councillors to

write to at same address:

Martin Hughes -Councillor

Tony Kaltoum -Councillor

Jenny Lawlis -Councillor

Dean Lynch -Councillor

Stephanie McDonald -Councillor

Roger Norton -Councillor

Jack Nott -Councillor

Winston Phillips -Councillor

Federal government Letters to the editor

Although the Federal government has no direct say in Mr Martyn Pearce

the way recreational fishing is run in NSW, you can still Editor, Cooma-Monaro Express

express your dissatisfaction about the NSW Labor 51-55 Massie Street

government’s closure of Gaden Trout Hatchery to: Cooma NSW 2630

Email editor.cmexpress@ruralpress.com

The Hon Dr Mike Kelly AM, MP (ALP)

Federal Member for Eden Monaro Ms Gail Eastaway

PO Box 6022 Editor, Monaro Post

House of Representatives 220-226 Sharp Street

Parliament House Cooma, NSW, 2630

Canberra ACT 2600 Email info@monaropost.com.au

Email mike.kelly.mp@aph.gov.au

Letters to the Editor

The Hon Tony Burke MP (ALP) Daily Telegraph

Minister for Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry PO Box 2808

PO Box 6022 Sydney, NSW 2001

House of Representatives Email yoursay@dailytelegraph.com.au

Parliament House

Canberra ACT 2600 Letters to the Editor

Email tony.burke.mp@aph.gov.au Sydney Morning Herald

GPO Box 3771

Sydney 2001

Email letters@smh.com.au

Letters to the Editor

Canberra Times

9 Pirie Street

Fyshwick ACT 2609

Email letters.editor@canberratimes.com.au

It has been suggested ....

When writing your letters...

Write to as many people as possible.

Keep your letters clear, polite and to the point.

Address to each person individually (ie not a photocopied letter or group email)

The portfolios of politicians are noted above, so, make points that are relevant to their particular portfolios.

Also write to your local NSW Member of Parliament. If that person is not listed below, find their contact details on the NSW Parliament website, http://www.parliament.nsw.gov.au.

Do not send attachments with emails - put your message directly into the body of the email.

Numerous individual letters will be more influential than petitions.

Key issues to raise are:

The importance of trout stocking in NSW hatcheries have been needed for over a century to sustain the recreational trout fishery in streams and impoundments.

The importance of hatcheries being managed by government and anglers who have a desire

for equitable and ongoing availability of fish stocks for public angling.

The pivotal role of trout fishing in the Snowy Mountains economy, including jobs based on

angling tourists (estimated in 2001 by Dominion Consulting as $70 million per annum)

The extraordinary contribution made by recreational anglers, clubs and acclimatisation societies over the past 100 years, volunteering time and effort and contributing the financial support that made Gaden Trout Hatchery possible in the first place.

The State governments ongoing dependence on acclimatisation societies to distribute fish from the Gaden Trout Hatchery.

The unique importance of the disease-free trout, brook trout and Atlantic salmon stock held at Gaden.

The lack of any other hatchery operation in the State capable of producing significant amounts of disease free stock.

The waste of over 50 years of investment in this valuable asset if it is sold to the private sector for short term financial gain.

Roberta

I spoke on my radio program this morning about the closure and I cannot see why us fisherman should not have the restocking of our freshwater system owned and run by the very people who we pay to oversee it and have run the show for many years NSW Fisheries. Are we to believe that they are privatising all our fisheries..when we see a government body selling off these sort of assets one has to think................why!

Ross

I agree, Ross! Just the taxes they receive from all the fishing gear we buy, boats, tackle & clothes (not to mention our Licence $$) would more than pay for the current operation to continue ..... but it all goes into "General Revenue" and gets wasted on other useless plans like the Desalination Plant! But why can't they just leave it like it is now! Further down the line, I reckon the effect on tourism in those areas receiving the fingerlings would feel a massive downturn as the fish disappear! Not all our waterways have natural spawning, especially of Rainbow Trout.

They sound just like the Wran Govt back in the dark ages when they were selling off all the other State Assets for short term $$ gain.

I have 'bodgied' up a 2nd page for signatures so it takes 15 signatures & am hoping that Donna may be able to add it to the first one to download. I have printed mine on the back of the 'original' and will then just double copy the 2nd page for more signatures to send.

Donna has put a link to it on the next posting! :)

Walk the neighbourhood & get your neighbours to sign it!

Roberta

Edited by Roberta

I agree, Ross! Just the taxes they receive from all the fishing gear we buy (not to mention our Licence $$) would more than pay for the current operation to continue ..... but it all goes into "General Revenue" and gets wasted on other useless plans like the Desalination Plant! But why can't they just leave it like it is now! Further down the line, I reckon the effect on tourism in those areas receiving the fingerlings would feel a massive downturn as the fish disappear! Not all our waterways have natural spawning, especially of Rainbow Trout.

They sound just like the Wran Govt back in the dark ages when they were selling off all the other State Assets for short term $$ gain.

I have 'bodgied' up a 2nd page for signatures so it takes 15 signatures & am hoping that Donna may be able to add it to the first one to download. I have printed mine on the back of the 'original' and will then just double copy the 2nd page for more signatures to send.

Anyone wanting a pdf copy of this page, just pm me your email address & I'll email it to you.

Walk the neighbourhood & get your neihgbours to sign it!

Roberta

It has been added

see here

mrsswordie

:mad3:

I can't believe it. I will certainly sign and post to my local member. I will also try and call a talk back radio station during the week. Please help and do the same.

We need to make everyone aware of this!

Can we please put a page telling the wider group of Raiders about this important issue -

Perhaps on the Fishing Reports page? please....

:(

Cheers

Ted

There was some sort of meeting and signing of a petition that made the 6pm chanel 7 news in Sydney. Local Member down there is defying the party and organising support for the hatchery. How messed up is politics and crap decisions?.

Edited by pelican

Gut wrenching stuff, I did my work experience at Gaden Trout Hatchery.

Sooner or later we will wake up one morning to find we aren't allowed outside as the Government has deemed nature is an unwanted drain on it's slush fund.

Petitions signed, E-Mails sent and I am a bit annoyed as I have been on Hamilton and missed the rally held today.

Windy

Ahh I can't believe I missed this post...

Pages are printed and will be aiming for 500 signatures over the next 2-3 weeks ;)

We should have a 'Raider Challenge' to see who can get the most signatures...

1st prize - Thankyou for a top job

2nd - Job well done

3rd - Hey, there were only 2 better...

Any thoughts?

Times are tough and I feel that over the next few seasons fishos are going to have to help eachother as there are alot of things going on where access will be lost or this or that will be lost...

Maybe form our own little action group for clean ups, creating awareness, fundraising etc etc?

Cheers

Ben

From the SMH:

Govt backs away from closing trout farm

November 21, 2008 - 11:13AM

The NSW government is backing away from its mini-budget decision to close a trout hatchery in the Snowy Mountains region.

The Garden Hatchery in Jindabyne was to be shut down as part of a series of closures of excess offices and research stations within the Department of Primary Industries.

But the decision was opposed by Labor's MP for Monaro, Steve Whan, who has led the fight to stop his government closing the facility.

Primary Industries Minister Ian Macdonald said on Friday the closure of the facility would now be delayed and options to address the facilities would be discussed.

"The Department of Primary Industries and stakeholder groups will now work towards building up concrete proposals for the on going viability of the hatchery," he said in a statement.

"It's important to remember the government's under enormous economic pressure, the financial crisis is starting to bite, so everyone has to work together jointly to find a viable solution."

Mr Whan said there was now a "clear path" to retaining the hatchery and its staff.

It was a vital resource for the local community and freshwater anglers across the state, he said.

Cheers

Windy

• 2 weeks later...

Is this people power

Amazing to see politicians turn round in a split second

I guess we can belive it when it is in writing

http://www.smh.com.au/news/opinion/fingerl...8257318851.html

Fingerling good: the fishy political tale behind closure of trout hatchery

Michael Duffy

December 6, 2008

Other related coverage

Fingerling good: it's a baby shower of bass

Advertisement

The following story is not the biggest to emerge from state politics recently but it's probably the strangest. We might call it the Mystery of the Trout Hatchery.

It concerns the Gaden Hatchery at Jindabyne, which produces baby fish used to stock most of the trout streams and lakes in the state. Because trout have difficulty breeding naturally, the Gaden Hatchery is essential to the existence of trout in most of NSW.

In its mini-budget of November 11, the State Government announced the hatchery would be closing. No alternative arrangement was announced, so it looked like the end for trout fishing, which has been practised with enthusiasm for more than 100 years.

The decision caused considerable anguish among anglers and also the people of the Snowy. Fortunately someone stepped forward to lead a campaign to save the trout hatchery. This was Steve Whan, the energetic local member, whose seat of Monaro is one of the most marginal in the state. Whan proceeded to circulate a petition, hold a rally, speak in parliament and issue a barrage of press releases.

The first mystery of the trout hatchery affair is that Whan had been told nothing at all about the decision to close Gaden until the morning of the mini-budget. The Opposition have suggested this beggars belief, because Whan is both a Labor member whose future could be affected by the decision and parliamentary secretary for the Department of Primary Industries, which runs the hatchery. But this week Whan and the Minister for Primary Industries, Ian Macdonald, told the Herald Whan had no prior knowledge of the decision.

Whan told the rally and anyone else who would listen he would fight the government (his government) until it reversed its decision.

"The electorate's interest are my first duty" he said in one release, then in another, "I have proven that I am willing to stand up for my community to save Gaden." The crusade attracted considerable local news coverage. Before long, you could not be a voter in Monaro and not know of the great job Whan was doing fighting the government (his government) to stop the closure.

The rally was held at the hatchery on November 16, the Sunday after the announcement. According to a report in The Monaro Post, Whan told the several hundred people there he was confident the government would have a change of heart within two weeks. As we shall see, this turned out to be prescient.

He also told the crowd that the government was not aware of what the hatchery meant to the economy of the Snowy region.

If this was true, it means Minister Macdonald has a poor memory, because only six weeks before the mini-budget he had issued a press release welcoming the beginning of the trout fishing season and noting that in the Snowy Mountains region the activity "is estimated to inject $70 million a year into the local economy and support 700 jobs".

This leads us to the second mystery surrounding the affair, which is why the government would have made a decision that seems so dumb, both economically and politically.

It wanted to save money and the hatchery costs some $600,000 a year to run. But if that produces $70 million a year in local income, it is one of the great multiplier effects of all time.

Why would the government move to destroy that in order to save a mere $1.2 million before the next election? And why would it do this knowing the decision could lose Whan a lot of badly needed votes? Governments have been known to buy marginal seats for more than $1.2 million, so to give one away for that much seems politically reckless.

Fortunately though, it looks as if the government has been saved from its idiocy by Whan. The parliamentary secretary might not be involved in his department's decisions before they are made, but he certainly has good input afterwards. On November 21 he arranged and attended a meeting between the minister and Steve Samuels, president of the NSW Council of Freshwater Anglers. The next week, Whan told parliament, "The upshot of those discussions is that the Gaden trout hatchery will continue to produce [baby fish] for the region."

The minister confirmed this week that as a result of the meeting he now wants to "keep Gaden in public hands but reduce the government's continuing financial exposure". (The latter point is probably a reference to a proposal to take more of the hatchery's funding from fishing licence income instead of from general revenue.)

So, after a lot of heartache for anglers and the people of the Snowy, it looks as if the hatchery has been saved and in double-quick time. Thank goodness for Whan. The man is a local hero. It's even possible he might gain a few votes from the whole affair, come the next election.

There is one final mystery here. Late this week Minister Macdonald told the Herald it had never been intended to close the Gaden hatchery, but merely to sell or lease it to private interests so that the production of fingerlings would continue. The NSW Council of Freshwater Anglers' Samuels told the Herald it was the first time he had heard of this.

And it will come as yet another surprise to Whan, who in his triumphant crusade referred frequently to a proposed closure, both directly and by reference to the devastating effect it would have on the local economy.