Spit Canoe Kings 15112008

kingiemaster

Howdy raiders,

Went out in the canoe yesterday morning.

Got some squid and put em in the NEW bait tank.

Down rigged the squid around the Bluff with my NEW down rigger.

But it was very quiet with nothing on my NEW sounder.

I and everyone I spoke to blamed it on the full moon.

With the Souwester picking up and more rain I decided to head back to the Spit and drop a squid around the moorings off the marina on the way back to the launch pad.

Paddling into the wind I was thinking I should be rewarded with a fish after all this effort.

Sure enough the rod goes off and a nice just legal King comes up.

Released a just under a 10 minutes later in exactly the same spot.

Gutting the one I kept I could feel something hard in its belly and thought it was a crab claw only to find this...

post-3858-1226787378_thumb.jpg

Here's a photo of the fish and me NEW toys.

post-3858-1226787431_thumb.jpg

Spent the rest of the day at home refining my set up. Will post details and pics on Boats section for those that are interested.

Cheers

Dave

PS G'day to the fellow Yak tragic in the very nicely fitted out Hobie that kept me company. Didn't get your name. I hope you found some fish. Good luck to you and your Mrs with the soon to be born bub.

Canoe looks great, and well done blooding the new gear. :thumbup:

I think you saved the Kingy from a slow painfull death. :biggrin2:

Imagine trying to pass a squid jig - my eyes are watering just thinking about it. :wacko:

My thoughts exactly!!!!!

Great resuts again! looks like you got the canoe set up great!

Ha!

There's a squid fisherman out there wondering how the squid he'd hooked managed to bust him off. Mystery solved eh?

It's got to happen more regalarly than we think. What self-respecting kingie could resist a struggling squid being dragged towards shore by a little pink prawn? I've certainly had a few follows in my time.

Good report kingiemaster and congrats on a good fish. You'll get the downrigger working before you know it.

Dave, well done.

I was pulled up at the spit as it went up with the yak on the roof on my way home from Cliefden and I hopped out and looked over the side and saw you and the hobbie paddling under the bridge. You were too far away to hail. Well done on such a consistent record on the MH kings. I have fished MH three times this season so far for donuts every time, usually to be told I should have been there yesterday.

David

I am sure a lot of other raiders will be happy to see that.

We can skip the messing around for timid squid.

And start downrigging 2 gram pink Yo-Zuri's for hoodlum kings in the harbour.

ITS A BREAK THROUGH I TELL YA!

Well done mate, the effort makes it twice as good.

Arch.

Hey Kingiemaster,

Mate thats freaky about the squid jig.

I lost a pink (3.5) one near the spit bridge about 3 weeks ago. It was an old one too as i have had it for a couple of years.

If it was mine there would have been no mono tied off to it?

My knot failed when i cast it :1prop:

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Dave the name was Paul and seeing as i was on the water from 10 00pm it was good to have somebody to talk to,mate its funny that i packed up my kayak and as i left totally crosseyed i was so tired, pulling out of the parking on to the spit bridge i saw 10 or so red hire kayaks bunched up and i actually saw u fighting that king tattooing the smile on my face for the hike home, well done hope to seeya again sometime. By the way thanks for the good luck wish for the new bub much appriciated

Well done & interesting report kingmaster.

he he...poor squid, just when he thought things couldn't get any worse..... :1yikes:

Definately one for the books, never heard of anyone ending a fishing session with MORE squidjigs then he started with!!

Edited by hooked4life