One For The Yak Crew

mitch

G'day Raiders,

Just thought I would let you all know that the ABT is running a Kayak bream tournament in 2009. This might be your time to shine Roberta.

So whos in? I don't own a yak as yet but I will be borrowing one to enter.

2009 Hobie BREAM Kayak Events Announced

As you may have read in the advertisements in Fishing Monthly Magazines, ABT and Hobie Australasia have teamed up to create the inaugural BREAM Kayak events. The series is compact in 2009 to fit into a timeframe which allows us to conduct the Hobie BREAM Kayak Grand Final in Forster at the end of March in conjunction with the Forster Family Fishing Carnival.

The Grand Final is unique in that there is no entry fee and all competitors fish out of identical Hobie Kayaks that are supplied for you! Qualification process is outlined in the rules.

Kayak events are all enter-on-the-day, however, you can streamline the process by downloading an entry form and bringing it along with you.

DATES

17 January 2009 Sydney Kayak Tournament (Bayview Park, Parramatta River)

22 February 2009 Sunshine Coast Kayak Tournament (Mooloolah River)

15 March 2009 Gold Coast Kayak Tournament (Budds Beach, Nerang River)

21-22 March 2009 Forster Kayak Tournament (Forster, NSW)

24-25 March 2009 Hobie Kayak Grand Final (Forster, NSW)

hehehe I am definitely in the Forster one :) :) Hope to get into the final, too - practising already ...... probably by Wild Card/Lucky Dip rather than my fishing efforts in coming in the top 4 or 5! :) :) Looking forward to meeting up with you, Mitch!

Now that Hobie has come on board (A hobie Outback is for the winner of the Forster event) it will surely TAKE OFF!! They'll close a large chunk of the Breck Channel to boats, so only the yaks can use it too! :)

Anyone wanting some more info on the Yak comp as well as the week long fishing event, please pm me your email address & I can send you some info. I was in this year's & got some terrific prizes for fishing & lucky dips as well!

Yeeha!! SHould be FUN!!

Roberta

A hobie SPORT is the prize for the Junior event too! :) :) Make a holiday of it with the kids!

I am definatly in for this one, currently in the process of sorting out my livewell as you need to weigh your two biggest bream alive, finally there is a tournament for Kayak anglers in sydney, well dont abt and hobie.

i joined up the abt today im in

I will be there one way or another. Looking at buying a Kayak soon, so will hopefully get one before the comps. Looking at the Hobie outback, have been looking at them for a while and they look the goods. Will try and find a second hand one as there pretty exxy.

Mitch

Outbacks are good yaks, Mitch - not quite as fast as the Revos, but very stable. Keep your eyes open in the usual spots for used ones or pm me your email address & I will keep an eye open for you too! :) You'll love it!!!!

CHeerio

Roberta

• 2 weeks later...

I'd be in tihs, but I don't have a live fish tank in the Yak, I either take a photo and let them go, or take a photo and dispatch for dinner.

What constitutes and acceptable live tank? I have a Cobra Pro-Fisherman with an insulated tank, I guess I could run an aerator through that.

If anyone has ideas, I'm all ears.

Otherwise I guess I'll go fishing as usual.

Stay well

I'd be in tihs, but I don't have a live fish tank in the Yak, I either take a photo and let them go, or take a photo and dispatch for dinner.

What constitutes and acceptable live tank? I have a Cobra Pro-Fisherman with an insulated tank, I guess I could run an aerator through that.

If anyone has ideas, I'm all ears.

Otherwise I guess I'll go fishing as usual.

Stay well

a mate showed me his setup for a live tank and its brilliant

1 esky- attach a battery powered camp shower drill out an overflow holein the esky .job done

when switched on the water is constantly recycled and so always fresh .

this is what i will be doing

craig

Edited by craigtempo

Hi Beach Defender

The Forster round of the ABT Yak event is a Photo & release comp (bream, flattie & whiting) and the Hobies supplied for the '2 Bream only' final will already have the Live tank attached to the yak! (They supply the yak too ..... I believe it will be a Hobie Outback)

Cheers

Roberta

anyone heard of any updates etc regarding the comp???

im definatley in like i said before. i own a hobie rev. whats classified as trolling??? if i pedal once or twice whilst flicking is that trolling???? what if you hook up and start heading towards snags or boats etc and need to paddle/pedal out? is that trolling? :unsure:

is there a limit on size tanks for 2 bream????30L ????

Edited by nargse1

As I understand it, Trolling is with a rod fixed in a rod holder or hand held, without imparting any action to it whilst (in this case) pedalling or paddling the yak. Pedalling whilst casting & retrieving is not considered to be trolling. You can also cast & retrieve whilst drifting in the current or wind. If the movement of the drift alone is pulling the sp or lure, it's trolling. Any rod being 'worked' must be hand held & only one rod used at a time. If you want to do something to a 2nd rod, the first rod's lure must be out of the water.

If you hook up, of course, you can pedal away from structure to play the fish - the same as the ABT guys do in the boats with electrics! You just can't 'tow a lure or sp' as you go from A to B.

Does that help??

Cheers

Roberta

Edited by Roberta

As I understand it, Trolling is with a rod fixed in a rod holder or hand held, without imparting any action to it whilst (in this case) pedalling or paddling the yak. Pedalling whilst casting & retrieving is not considered to be trolling. You can also cast & retrieve whilst drifting in the current or wind. If the movement of the drift alone is pulling the sp or lure, it's trolling. Any rod being 'worked' must be hand held & only one rod used at a time. If you want to do something to a 2nd rod, the first rod's lure must be out of the water.

If you hook up, of course, you can pedal away from structure to play the fish - the same as the ABT guys do in the boats with electrics! You just can't 'tow a lure or sp' as you go from A to B.

Does that help??

Cheers

Roberta

yeah does help. do people actually fish SP's and lures with two rods at the same time???? i couldnt see this working unless you you had those daiwa bait casters (i think vieno or something) with the auto twich retreive bar on it.

any1 made up there live tank yet?

im mounting my fishfinder this weekend. anyone put one on that has a revolution??? id like to see where. im thinking in one of the side mesh areas up near the seat.

cheers damien

Hi Damien

google ..... "fit a fishfinder" kayak and hit the Australia button (not the Web) and you will get good info. Just make sure there are no bubbles in the silicon when you fit it. Most of us have put some sort of foam around the entire transducer to give it more protection too. Some folk fit the screen to a pole that fits into the 'sail' hole, so that it is totally removable & then you don't have to drill any holes in your yak. The transducer in yaks usually goes in the front hatch, not the rear (like boats.) We don't go so fast, so don't get the 'noise' factor.

Just make sure you do your homework, as it is important to set it up correctly the first time you do it!!

Re the Live fish tank - some are using an esky that has an aerator in it (you must change water regularly tho), or have fixed a small bilge pump to put water in near the bottom of the esky, with a hose going from the top of the esky to vent the overflow water thru one of your rear scupper holes.

I have trolled 2 lures from my yak at Glenbawn whilst casting a 3rd rod towards the front & edges with no hassles - all spinning gear.

Cheers

Roberta

I am surprised that they havnt updated there site yet as to any prize money offered for the top 5 placegetters, only 100 bucks for big bream per round and 500 bucks for series big bream, I hope that they are offering a percentage of payback as per entries like most other ABT comps, Roberta have u heard anything on the grapevine regarding this, Im sure that they will have to offer some sort of monitary prizes, I fished the last squidgies series on the harbour, (not abt), and first prize got 2850 bucks from a total of 120 odd fishos who each paid 60 bucks to enter, I reckon there will be about 60 kayak fishos judging from the response's from guys and girls on other sites, that equals a prize pool of 3 grand, they of course have to pay insurances and other costs to run it, however isnt that what sponsers are for, will be interested to see if anything changes closer to the date, cheers Justin.

Hi Justin

I have heard that there will be prize money (except at the Forster Qualifying event which will have a Hobie & other yak related gear as prizes.)

I guess they'll update the website when they know how many are entering the various comps ........ remember the Grand Final is Free Entry anyway ...... I'd just be keeping an eye on the website for updates, or, if you have joined the ABT as a member you can contact Steve Morgan & ask him yourself :) He cleared up a couple of questions that I put to him ...... but I am not expecting to be in the top 4 or 5 anyway, so not expecting any $$! :wacko: I'll just call my entry fee a 'donation', along with all the lotto tickets I take out too!

Cheerio & tight lines

Roberta

Hi Justin

I guess they'll update the website when they know how many are entering the various comps ..

Cheerio & tight lines

Roberta

I understand what you are saying, however not sure they will know numbers at the sydney round until day of the comp as it is register on the day only, I thought that they would at least list the percentage of payback per entries, will just have to wait to find out I guess, I know the sydney round has generated a fair bit of interest locally and expect to see a fair turn out, I'm not expecting to win or place, but it would be nice to put a couple in the well, cheers Justin.