Mac Tuna

mitch

Hate to be the one to break the news to you but they aren't Mack Tuna  :biggrin2:  They are Frigate Mackerel & nice ones as well. Mack Tuna have black dots down around the pectoral fins. Great bait lousy eating  :biggrin2:

33667[/snapback]

nice frigates then :) look like good fun on light gear

---> Mack Tuna

2298tuna1.jpg

not mine unfortunatly.... :risata:

Chris

You beat me Mitch! :risata:

I called for Mack's as well Ken...Shows how much I know! :1prop:

Was good day out to clear the head and just forget about the rest of the world. And it worked a treat. Managed to keep dad under control and stopped him from buying bait, and he actually managed to hook one of these pocket rockets! Of course he blamed me when he handed me the rod and it pulled the hook! :1yikes::risata:

Here's a couple of piccies with dad and Mitch bendin' their rods. :thumbup:

Chased a few more as we were heading back home Mitch. I got smoked twice and dad got smoked one more time. I gotta say...they are finnicky VERY finnicky!

Guys I ain't putting the fish down :biggrin2: I have said here many a time Frigates are one of my top rated fighting fish. I love them :biggrin2: Pound for pound they go damn hard & if they grew to 20 kilos you would need 24kg gear to stop em. They fight far better than a Mack Tuna of similar size .

Nice fish fellas :biggrin2:

My best Frigate was around 1.8 kilos. I used to chase them with 2 kilo gear mainly as you need to be able to toss 5 to 7 gram lures a good distance to nail em. Light fly tackle is also very / more usefull as you can cast tiny flies that match the bait better.

Ahh good to see the frigates back, its about this time of year when you get heaps of reports of mack tuna in the harbour. I havent caught a mack in sydney since 1998. might have to hit up my secret shorebased harbour spot that never fails me. They go great on 2kg or 3kg mono :thumbup:

I gotta say...they are finnicky VERY finnicky!

Thats pretty common with Frigates Joe , they get very single minded when feeding on small bait. I had a lot of success using the little River2Sea "searocks" in the 7 gram size.

Theres a pic of them in my article on Frigates at this link Frigate Mackerel

Narra if this is the first sign of them then I would say they are about a month late. I have seen a few schools of them offshore though. I'll bet the harbour is crawling with them now so get out there around balmoral to the spit is a good area to hunt them. :thumbup: They normally don't hang around long in the harbour, a month is probably the limit.

awesome work guys.

they are definetly fun on the light gear.

they are awesome live or dead baits for marlin too.

biggest one ive seen is around 3kgs

would hate to see them bigger, definetly give you a run for your money.

looks like a beautiful day out on the water too.

lure i use for this sort of stuff is normally a tiny tiny metal slice/jig

its like seriously no bigger than a 20 cent piece including the hook.

some reason they love them.

sounds like the harbour is really turning it on at the moment.

... guess where I'm heading with my flyrod this week.  :biggrin2:

34074[/snapback]

I think fly would do well! There was one guy out there, didnt even leave Rose Bay, and he was getting into a few on fly. Apparently he landed about 10 fish!

nice work fellas

a friend was out last Friday aswell chasing the frigates but couldn't hook up as they were feeding on tiny bait (probably what you call eyes)

Ken or anyone else can you please clarify. What is the difference between striped and mac tuna

Adam

So Richard and me weren't the only ones to get into the frigates :)

Great session, report and pics guys! :1fishing1::thumbup:

Seems like all of Sydney's waterways are teeming with fish at the moment, great to see! :1yikes:

Joe

Edited by Pukka