Fishraider Official Marine Park Poll

FISHRAIDER OFFICIAL POLL ON MARINE PARKS  

1,031 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think recreational fisherman should be excluded from Sanctuary Areas within Marine Parks?

• YES
    • NO
  2. 2. Would you support a Marine Park where recreational fishermen are not excluded from Sanctuary Areas?

• YES
    • NO

Voted

I have always been amazed at the amount of sea grass that is floating on Wallis Lake - I used to think it was only bad weather that had caused the sea grass to break off or be pulled from the sand.

I now know it is caused largely by the netters/pro fishos & it is compounded on the nights when they go prawning! Half the lake seems to float on the top during the 'out tide' when the prawns are running, due to the dragging of the lake floor.

As Sails & the other chap said, they have seen first hand the massive damage done when they were deckies on prawn & scallop trawlers - the fact that they used chains to destroy everything in between the 2 boats dragging them is wanton destruction & I only hope that all fishing trawlers don't do that any more ..... but deep down, I reckon some are probably still doing that very same thing, as $$ & profit rule.

We have a Marine Park with Sanctuary zones & exclusion zones up here in Forster, starting from the southern end of One Mile Beach & going all the way to Stockton beach, Newcastle. Tuna boats still net the bait schools in these areas, - I rang Fisheries to complain after 3 boats netted Burgess Beach on the one night & they said that the Tuna boats have a 'history' of bait netting in that area & are allowed to continue to do so, so long as it is for their own 'personal use' & they don't sell it to anyone else. I don't recall reading any of this when the Marine Park information was put up on the net for discussion & or what was available to the public in printed form. The fact that these boats have taken out the entire school & broken the bait chain available to the pelagics in the area doesn't make sense, but it doesn't seem to matter any more to Fisheries, either. We don't get the big fish off the breakwall any more - the tuna & mackerel - that used to be regularly caught up here in the past.

There is the information that they want you to see & a helluva lot more that you will never see, as they know that you will not agree to it.

Cheers

Roberta

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for your comment billfisher. Voting always has a "self interest" component. This is giving an indication only of people's feelings and is not meant to "put our case in a better light"

If we were intending to run a campaign here and get out on the hustings we certainly would be using very different means of preparing our case. This is a simple poll to gauge opinion.

Perhaps you or any other member would like to email me the questions you feel need to be addressed and let me know in who's interest they would be.

Lets keep the comments coming folks - perhaps we will scrap the poll and just leave this open for comment posting.

mrsswordfisherman

If I was formulating a poll I would go for something on the lines of:

1. Do you think that there should be a moratorium on the creation of new marine parks in NSW?

2. Do you think there should be an independant scientific review of zoning of existing marine parks along with proper community consultation? Such a review would including the assessment of real threats and the consideration of all options for their management rather than blanket bans and spatial grabs. Such a review should take into account the socio-economic value of recreational fishing to coastal communities and those who visit them.

The members of Fishraider support the concept of preserving our marine habitats so that future generations can enjoy the great outdoors and one, if not the most popular of pastimes, recreational fishing.

Fishraider members are therefore not against the concept of Marine Parks, but rather a system within Marine Parks where Sanctuary Zones are used to exclude recreational fisherman from the most accessible and productive areas.

So we ask you for your input on what is being proposed by the so called "National Parks Association" lobby group.

I support the idea of mobile exclusion zones,where areas have time to recover and be monitored .Just remember how much coast line we have.I also support more resources being pushed towards law enforcement of the small minority yet greatly damaging anglers doing the wrong thing.

I support the idea of mobile exclusion zones,where areas have time to recover and be monitored .Just remember how much coast line we have.I also support more resources being pushed towards law enforcement of the small minority yet greatly damaging anglers doing the wrong thing.

:1welcomeani: To Fishraider, Mike on the Island.

What I myself and I'd say many others can't follow is the fact they are providing Artificial Reefs to congregate most species and on the other hand they are clashing with their own principles by providing Marine Park sanctuaries to protect migrating fish and thereby stopping recreational fishers from fishing for the same species that will also be attracted to the Artificial Reefs they install and maintain or close to shore FADs for that matter.

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

How can anyone who calls themselves a fisherman NOT want recreational fishing excluded from Sanctuary Zones? We are killing the future of a passtime we all love and respect. I do not believe anyone who has not possessed a fishing license for multiple years should be allowed to vote. That is like a life long Holden owner voting on whether or not Ford has a right to exist. They have no emotional connection to preserving fish for future generations! What's the next step? Who in legislation do we need to wake up?! This burns my bottom!! :1badmood:

Whist I support protection and conservation of fisheries, I don’t support the extent… I don’t pay my licence fees not to go fishing!!!! I thought the main focus of introducing recreational licences was to improve fisheries not to stop people fishing. The government and these green groups have lost touch of reality….

• 2 weeks later...

Voted, thank you for the opportunity. I missed this in the news last month, don't know how I managed that. This whole situation is appalling. I'm still trying to catch up and read up on all the threads, I'm not a particularly active member here but that will change now. I've had a quick read through the NPA proposal, what they are proposing is ludicrous and there is no real relevant information or evidence. The proposed targets are simply picked from the air, there is no rational reason as to why 20% was chosen, or even any real proper study on fish stocks in each region, let alone in the proposed no-fish zones.

The proposal made absolutley no reference to the potential social and economic impact on retailers and communities who depend on recreational fishing. There was some flowery wording on how it will be beneficial to have fish stocks but no hard numbers.

What can I do to help? The AAG seems to be the best group to join, but are there regular meetings? Where do we start?

• 1 month later...

Just stumbled on this topic and have voted. This has really fired me up.

Never voted Liberal at parliamentary election but if the NSW Labor implements this policy i'll be voting Liberal at the next NSW election. I think we should put our voice to the Liberal party and with the other million angler votes I don't think Labor will be willing to lose the election.

If they do, we can talk to our local Liberal member about making this a topic at the next election. Say NO to marine parks restricting recreational fishing..

Looks like the NPA wants to mop up the areas popular with anglers which are still open to fishing. SWR is a popular destination for Sydney anglers. With a marine park in Sydney, one at SWR plus all the existing ones there will be no escaping the marine park juggernaught.

Fact-finding mission under way over marine zones

Posted Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:01pm AEST ABC News

The New South Wales National Parks Association (NPA) is putting its case for marine sanctuary zones to be established in the region stretching from north of Newcastle to Nambucca Heads.

The State Minister for Primary Industries, Ian Macdonald, is currently considering the bioregional assessment for the Manning Shelf.

The NPA's marine project officer, Nikki Hammond, says a fact-finding mission is under way in the South West Rocks area.

Ms Hammond says there is a strong argument for a Manning Shelf Marine Park to protect important habitat and threatened species.

"I'd say that South West Rocks is definitely an area that should be looked at for marine protected areas," she said.

"You've got your grey nurse sharks there which are a critically endangered species, you've got less than 500 left along the entire east coast of Australia.

"So it's important to protect their habitat out there and also you've got a range of other marine life out that way that actually it would be beneficial to help protect."

• 2 months later...

just seen this!! opps

vote is in!

i believe that there should be more than just this marine park. in those areas only catch and release,and to enforce this have regular fishery inspections in and around those areas. This year i've fished every second day almost and only seen the fisheries 4 times. their stronger present will make people abide by the rules and help the fish stocks. give out fines for illigal acts!!

not too sure but im assuming the funding for the fisheries is lacking. if thats the case give the waterways and police the duristiction to check fish and give out fines. i've seen them out alot more only checking licences tho.

also the construction of this de sal plant in the bay is def not going to help..... government should have done more testing before construction..... an area im pissed off about!

fish stocks have improved in the bay since the stopping of the trawlers!!

just seen this!! opps

vote is in!

i believe that there should be more than just this marine park. in those areas only catch and release,and to enforce this have regular fishery inspections in and around those areas. This year i've fished every second day almost and only seen the fisheries 4 times. their stronger present will make people abide by the rules and help the fish stocks. give out fines for illigal acts!!

So you are saying you want more marine parks? I seriously doubt that I would bother fishing in an area that was catch and release only. It's a big part of the sport being able to take home a small bounty for the table.

PS: The greenie funded 'scientists' have been busy countering catch and release by anglers by claiming high mortality - in journals such as 'Science' and Nature.

In my view our best option (as fisherman) is to give support to Marine Parks ... but we need to vehemently oppose the "no recreational fishing zones"

That's really just supporting defacto recreational fishing havens - not what we have come to know and experience as 'marine parks' (which equate to 20% or more green zones where all fishing is banned). It has been tried to get concessions for angling in various marine parks in NSW but the ideology behind them demands at least 20% be 'green' and even catch and release angling is not allowed.

Edited by billfisher

So you are saying you want more marine parks? I seriously doubt that I would bother fishing in an area that was catch and release only. It's a big part of the sport being able to take home a small bounty for the table.

PS: The greenie funded 'scientists' have been busy countering catch and release by anglers by claiming high mortality - in journals such as 'Science' and Nature.

fishing marine parks yes but im not going to support non fishing marine parks.... i love my fishing. if u wouldn't bother then it would be beneficial then to have it...... others who fish for fun and catch and release will prob fish in those areas. hence the improvement in numbers of stock.

yea keep a small bounty but not a bucket bounty....... catch for a feed for the family not for the army. tell me an average family of four maybe only eat a fish each..... depending on size???

when i fish for kings i'll only keep 1 for a feed. but catch and release the rest. maybe its a matter of reducing the bag limits........ what is it 20 for bream or something around there??? tell me tho if u reach that bag limit you'll have food for at least a month. and if u go out more than that in a month multiply the amount of other boats and thats the dramatic effect...... so maybe reduce bag limits.

i fish for the fun majority of the time and not necessarily for food.

• 4 months later...