Crack Down On Fisherman With Undersize Fish

snag

Was watching chanel 10 news today and they where showing fisheries cracking down on fisherman with undersized bag's and checking licences.

Good to see fisheries using our money to catch those people with undersize fish and giving out fines.

Lets hope it's not just an overnight thing and that they keep it up.

How do you change the attitude of ignorant people that think the law does not apply to them? It is an insult to call those people fisho's as they are ruining the breeding stock for the future of our sport.

I had the pleasure of fishing Botany Bay yesterday & landing my first Kingy of which I am still stoked, unfortunately he went 45cm so back in he went. A sad tale that was repeated often yesterday.

Heading back to the boat ramp at Kyeemagh, I struck up a convo with a couple of blokes who showed me their 'catch' as they were heading off:

8 x Kingfish the biggest being 50cm max

2 x Legal flatties one that wasn't about 27 cm

10 x Bream ( to most other fisho's the fish they had are baby snapper, not one over 25cm)

Basically anything unfortunate enough to end up on their lines was taken. When I asked ' what if the fisheries get you' they showed me the keeper bag, it has a snapper sinker attached to it " they turn up, you cut it" My response to them is not appropriate to be posted here.

Every fisho needs to be proactive about people taking undersized fish, We have to report these Bastards as we are only scewing over ourselves if we let it slide.

Anyway that's my vent for the day, hope you all have a great weekend fishing.

How do you change the attitude of ignorant people that think the law does not apply to them? It is an insult to call those people fisho's as they are ruining the breeding stock for the future of our sport.

I had the pleasure of fishing Botany Bay yesterday & landing my first Kingy of which I am still stoked, unfortunately he went 45cm so back in he went. A sad tale that was repeated often yesterday.

Heading back to the boat ramp at Kyeemagh, I struck up a convo with a couple of blokes who showed me their 'catch' as they were heading off:

10 x Bream ( to most other fisho's the fish they had are baby snapper, not one over 25cm)

Basically anything unfortunate enough to end up on their lines was taken. When I asked ' what if the fisheries get you' they showed me the keeper bag, it has a snapper sinker attached to it " they turn up, you cut it" My response to them is not appropriate to be posted here.

Every fisho needs to be proactive about people taking undersized fish, We have to report these Bastards as we are only scewing over ourselves if we let it slide.

prob the same guy i seen and talking about in my post i just wrote up yesterday! it makes me sick!!

I've seen this attitude with people myself the kind of brain dead drones us people with a little earnest's should not need to put up with at this moment or ever did you have a camera phone?I'd have inconspiculously dobbed. Fisheries can search without warrent any premise vessel or vehicle all they need for a conviction is evidence that would stand in front of a magistrate i.e photo's can not be disputed these clowns deserve a fine and knowdought the bofins commonly practice this if you see them again dob the (badword)!! purpertraiters in

Some people can only be educated to a certain level and even me who hates rules generally I think that it should be mandatory to have a fish measuring sticker of matt with fish types with you whan you have fishing gear so there is no excuses ( not that there is) These idiot swho are screwing it up for all of us might actually wonder what the measure is for them. Fines aren't enough as these blokes know the odds of getting caught are slim. I think repeat offenders should hav eto do some sort of short test to show they really do understand size limits and why they are there. That way we would all be winners

Positive enforcement is OK but confrontation and obvious photos is very dangerous as there is loads of agressive fishos out there. Call fisheries and report it and if there is a regular spot they hopefully will target it a bit more .

Good to see they got some media coverage and it should also be a mailout with boat rego or lic to keep the wider education and awareness levels up there. Won't cover everyone.

I e-mailed the boat rego & name to the Fisheries yesterday as I didn't have the phone with me, I have no idea if they will use the info or not. These blokes were of the opinion that they are a law to themselves which is funny when you consider they have a weighted keeper bag to escape the Fisheries inspectors. to me that demonstrates they know it is illegal.

That is a good call about the boat stickers Pelican, they should be mandatory.

"The Recreational Fishing Trusts are providing ongoing funding for fifteen fisheries officers positions, nine coastal and six inland. The nine coastal officers are based in the Clarence, Hastings, Port Stephens, Hunter, Sydney (2), Shoalhaven, Batemans Bay, and Far South Coast regions. The six inland officers are based at Inverell, Buronga, Albury, Bathurst, Wellington and Jindabyne."

I found this on the NSW DPI web site. The Sydney officers must be seriously overworked, having to manage a city with a population of 4.3 million people. No wonder a lot of people have never been checked, there is only two of them!!!!

THOSE GUYS THAT CONTINUALLY FLAUNT THE FISHING CATCH RULES WILL GET CAUGHT UP ONE DAY. EITHER BY FISHERIES INSPECTORS OR THE TIME WILL COME WHEN THOSE SMART.. a!!!!!!!!!! 's........ WILL BE TURNING UP REGULARLY TO FISH ONLY TO FIND............... there aint no bloody fish...........

..................... They have to realize that we all have to work and fish together................

Cheers BART :1fishing1:

Edited by bart

Maybe a fishing licence should be like a boat and vehicle licence.

Applicants would need to sit a test and answer correctly to the legal sizes of all fish and or common species.

Plus any other relevent fisheries information and requirements.

Is this not the case? Sorry I left Sydney 25 years ago when there were no licence requirements.

I guess the DPI is already understaffed and would find it difficult to man such a scheme.

Would be worth a suggestion to them though in MHO.

Cheers

Mariner