Down Riggers

FishDrought

Firstly Merry Christmas Raiders,

Hope everyone has an enjoyable & safe time with plenty of fishing thrown in.

On the subject of Downriggers, I have been watching a large number boats all using downriggers & I would just like to know your opinions on worth as a fishing tool?

I have never used one & was thinking of getting one for the tinny are there any preferred brands or sizes & how do you use them?

Cheers

Jas :beersmile:

Edited by FishDrought

Guest Aussie007

give someone a chance to reply Posted Today, 10:13 AM Posted Today, 12:48 PM :074: after i seen all the reports of people using downriggers and catching kings early in the season i just had to buy one! than i went out on the weekend fishing just off the bottom without using the downrigger i caught a kingy now im about to sell the downrigger i think there over rated fair enough u have more chances of catching a fish quicker but there a pain in the ring to set up and use from what im seeing plus while using it u need to continously monitor the fish finder to make sure u dont snag the bottom it has its goods and bads the goods are when the fish move u can move with them the bads are if u have more than a couple people on board they dont wanna wait there turn to use the downriggers

Thanks for that Gazza,

I was an impatient little B, but I was getting harrased as the :wife: was going to get me one as a last minute Chrissy bonus tonight. As we all know if the missus is offering "free" fishing gear then she has really over spent this Christmas Haha. But I would never knock it back.

I didn't want to put cash out on something I might not use often , where as I can always use a new rod & reel combo, GPS, Lures, tackle, Prawning light, brag mat, gaff, A new E-tec :biggrin2: a new boat Etc etc etc

.Thanks again mate for your opinion.

Edited by FishDrought

Guest Big-Banana

I have two now, one Cannon Ezi Troll and one Scotty 1050.

They are good for a number of different fish, but Kings are something my catch rates have gone up a ridiculous amount with these downriggers. They are brilliant. Well worth the dosh.

Yeah mate,

persist and work out the best ways and places to use them and they're well worth the time and effort. There will be days when the usual anchor spots will not produce and down rigging the moorings or headlands will produce the goods. When talking about kingies, I can tell you towing baits will produce more fish!

i have done a bit of research about these myself recently and bought a penn fathom master. from what i've read, the brands to pick are scotty cannon or penn. make sure it's ok for saltwater use... i've seen some cheaper versions only fit for saltwater use.

on the same topic, gazza, i noticed you don't rate your downrigger setup. what is it about the setup which is frustrating? i'm about to install mine on the transom (fixed base) and am undecided about whether to point it straight back or at 90 degrees out to the side (2 options from penn).

what do people think would be better?

Guest Aussie007

I didn't want to put cash out on something I might not use often , where as I can always use a new rod & reel combo, GPS, Lures, tackle, Prawning light, brag mat, gaff, A new E-tec a new boat Etc etc etc

haha a new E-Tec aint streching it much ;)
on the same topic, gazza, i noticed you don't rate your downrigger setup. what is it about the setup which is frustrating? i'm about to install mine on the transom (fixed base) and am undecided about whether to point it straight back or at 90 degrees out to the side (2 options from penn).

i set mine up strait out the back and got told i had it all set up wrong :05: bloody thing didnt come with instructions :1prop: not that one would need the instructions but an idea on where to place it would have been good but i had already drilled the holes in my boat to mount it strait out the back as i thought thats how they were ment to be my boat is pretty wide i cant see the cable touching the prop if the downrigger's weight will keep the cable strait down (10lb weigth) to mount mine sideways i need to remove one of the hand rails and i use this hand rail to get into my boat i have no where else to mount it so it's just a pain in the bum i'd rather forget about for now

• 3 weeks later...

i have done a bit of research about these myself recently and bought a penn fathom master. from what i've read, the brands to pick are scotty cannon or penn. make sure it's ok for saltwater use... i've seen some cheaper versions only fit for saltwater use.

what do people think would be better?

I have mounted my Penn D/Rigger 90deg out to the side for a few reasons;

1) Its just a bit further away from the prop than mounted out the back.

2) If I get a second D/R on the other side it will be even further away from it. No tangled bombs.

3) Side mounted gave me better access to the winder(handy when fighting a fish by yourself)

The main downside is that if trolling shallower water the bomb cant be seen on my sounder. Other than that Im happy with the position, although i wouldnt mind one of those swivel brackets $$$$!

Cheers,

Ken

I have mounted my Penn D/Rigger 90deg out to the side for a few reasons;

1) Its just a bit further away from the prop than mounted out the back.

2) If I get a second D/R on the other side it will be even further away from it. No tangled bombs.

3) Side mounted gave me better access to the winder(handy when fighting a fish by yourself)

The main downside is that if trolling shallower water the bomb cant be seen on my sounder. Other than that Im happy with the position, although i wouldnt mind one of those swivel brackets $$$$!

Cheers,

Ken

Hi Ken, you'll need a longer boom if you mount a downrigger too far back along the side gunnel because you will foul the corner of the boat on the turns..... Also rather than have to buy an expensive swivel, consider portable rod holder mounting with cross gimbal slots cut into the male so as to be able to turn the boom back into the boat and a plate welded onto the top and drilled so that the bolt holes suit your particular downrigger mounting configuration and use a rod holder retainer rubber to take up any free play in the portable rod holder mount.

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Edited by jewgaffer

down riggers are a usefull tool but they come with a price not just $ you will become a ass hole doing things that a normal fisher person would never do

trolling around boats working people berly trail circling boats already hooked up

trying to pull kings from under uther boats and then there are the exuses they dropped there pick were i was down rigging ,because i'm going so slow i can come as close to uther boat as i wont

i became an asshole for about 2 weeks and then thought what am i doing i've become a down rigging ass hole

it was realy weard it seemed to be all about the fish and not fishing for fun or relaxation i very seldom use the down rigger now and have taken it off the boat

cherrs gary

G"day there ,

I have a question regarding whether or not you should be able to see the bomb on my sounder, I'm pretty new to the whole fishing from a boat trolling and using a down rigger but as yet I have not been able to see it on my sounder, Do I have the downrigger mounted in the wrong spot? It is down the back of the boat and is mounted to the side. Any help would be appreciated as I have not had much success to date.

Regards,

Norto. :thumbdown:

I think it is more about your sounder - e.g sensitivity, depth of the bomb and speed of the boat (e.g. if the bomb is dragged by the water outside of your sounder cone).

What I would do is to drop the bomb when the boat is stationary and play with the sounder/depth till you see it. Then start moving forward.

HTH

G"day there ,

I have a question regarding whether or not you should be able to see the bomb on my sounder, I'm pretty new to the whole fishing from a boat trolling and using a down rigger but as yet I have not been able to see it on my sounder, Do I have the downrigger mounted in the wrong spot? It is down the back of the boat and is mounted to the side. Any help would be appreciated as I have not had much success to date.

Regards,

Norto. :thumbdown:

down riggers are a usefull tool but they come with a price not just $ you will become a ass hole doing things that a normal fisher person would never do

trolling around boats working people berly trail circling boats already hooked up

trying to pull kings from under uther boats and then there are the exuses they dropped there pick were i was down rigging ,because i'm going so slow i can come as close to uther boat as i wont

i became an asshole for about 2 weeks and then thought what am i doing i've become a down rigging ass hole

it was realy weard it seemed to be all about the fish and not fishing for fun or relaxation i very seldom use the down rigger now and have taken it off the boat

cherrs gary

Don't forget bumping into boats as you go between moored boats single handed and try and use one as you hook up.

Cllecting other boats anchor ropes and free swimming live baits is another pastine for the craeless downrigger.

Not sure if affects the fish under my boat or anything but the stress leven on board goes up when people get too close and are fixated on watching the sounder not on the water and anchored boats. It's isn't teh downrigger that worries me but some of the blokes who seem to think they have extra rights jsut caus ethey own one.

Edited by pelican

Or when they drive over your bait lines & half a reel of $$$ braid get wound around their prop ( tragic) :05: . But honestly I have only had two incidents like that most people are running their downriggers with care and are pretty observant of others.

Do all riggers bolt/screw into the boat? or can you get ones that clamp on or say lock into a rod holder?

........Do all riggers bolt/screw into the boat? or can you get ones that clamp on or say lock into a rod holder?

..... Also rather than have to buy an expensive swivel, consider portable rod holder mounting with cross gimbal slots cut into the male so as to be able to turn the boom back into the boat and a plate welded onto the top and drilled so that the bolt holes suit your particular downrigger mounting configuration and use a rod holder retainer rubber to take up any free play in the portable rod holder mount.

Cheers :thumbup:

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Or when they drive over your bait lines & half a reel of $$$ braid get wound around their prop ( tragic) :05: . But honestly I have only had two incidents like that most people are running their downriggers with care and are pretty observant of others.

Do all riggers bolt/screw into the boat? or can you get ones that clamp on or say lock into a rod holder?

as mentioned above, a gimbal mount (fits into your rod holder) is a perfect portable mount. if you get the basic penn downrigger they have a bolted in base plate which you can slide your downrigger on/off at will (takes 5 seconds). clamp on bases as far as i'm aware are really only suitable for the smaller setups (tinnies / kayaks).... correct me if i'm wrong.

Edited by choad