My 1st Kingie A Fluke?!

ASJ

Hello all,

Grabbed two of my beach rods, and some leftover squid (refrozen from a few days ago) last night, and left home at around 10:00 pm and got to the North end of Narrabean Beach at around 11:00 pm. I could see a lot of green lights on the end of fishing rods near the entrance to the lagoon, and so I decided to fish down south a bit as I didnt want to accidently tangle other peoples lines and cause a scuffle.

The tide was already falling and having started late I pretty much had to give up my hopes for a jewie. Well having set up by around 11:30 pm I sat down lit up a cig :smoke: and had a drink :beersmile:. Slowly time was ticking by with nothing happening and so I decided to lie down and have a sleep. Suddenly, at around 2:00am I awoke to the sweet sound of my reel peeling line. Immediately I got up, dashed to my rod, set the drag and then set the hook. Whatever this thing was it had a bit of fight to it and felt heavy. A few things popped up in my head, "Is it a jewie?, nah, it hasn't got strong head shakes, Is it a massive sting ray?, nah, I can feel a few wobbles and its not a constant pull...". While I was thinking this I realised that I was beginning to loose too much line. I began to thumb the spool to my reel, as my 30 pound reels don't have that strong a drag, but I wasn't worried about busting off since I have 80 pound braid on them. After about 10 minutes of pumping I began to see color. I saw the pinkish/purplish reflection from the fish's eyes in shine of my head lamp and the sleek grey body of a 1 meter................. bloody school shark :thumbdown: . After a quick release, rebait and cast, I sat down and continued the enduring vigil of a fisherman.

Another hour passed and I decided to check my rods. As I was reeling in one of them there was a bit of weight to it, more heavy than the usual star sinker and small strip of squid I had on there. After draging this thing through the sand and waves I was amused to see a worn out bream of about 36 cm on there. Having had a good feed of bream the week before I decided to let this one go. This bream was so worn out after being hooked for who knows how long, I had to hold it upright in the water for about 20 minutes before it recovered and swam off. Again another hour passed and it was around 4:00 am. Time for another check of the rods. The same rod that dragged in the bream dragged in a 30 cm toad fish this time <_< . The silly thing blew up like a soccer ball and I thought just as well cause I was able to roll it back into the water without the risk of getting my hand spiked lol.

It was about 4.45am and it was still dark. Sleep was beckoning and so I decided to end the session and pack up. I got up and headed toward the rod that hooked the bream and toadfish. Just as my hand reached out to touch it, the rod suddenly buckled and bent in half. For a seconded or two I stooded there and hesitated :blink: . I was caught of guard. Perhaps it was the long night without any sleep, but gee am I thankful reels have ratchets, cause the scream of the spool spinning against it put my arms back into gear. Quickly I picked the rod up set the drag and set the hook. This fish was freaking solid. Again I pressed my thumb to the spool and slowed my spool down. But even the added pressure of my thumb didn't slow this bugger of a fish. It headed south down the beach and with me slowly being dragged with it. After about five minutes I didnt feel any weight. I yelled out a profanity thinking the fish managed to bust off my 80 pound braid :mad3: . Feeling disappointed I quickly reeled some of the line back in. Then all of a sudden my rod was bent again and my reel was singing. Alleluia! The silly fish must have been heading back at me. With renewed enthusiasm I fought the fish for another 5, maybe 8 mintues. Then I saw It... holy crap. The fish lay on its side and with a final wave it beached with its torpedo like body shining with all its glory in the light of my head lamp. It was a MASSIVE Kingie! I grabbed its tail and dragged it back to my chair and other rod. Gee was this baby heavy. Then I realised my other rod was buckling too, and gee guess what, after a 5 minute fight another shool shark was landed this one also near the meter mark.

I packed up and had to play leap frog with my gear and the Kingie back to the car. Halfway there some nice blokes helped me haul my gear back. If it wasn't for them I would have had a heart attack. The kingie was so damn heavy and with all my arm muscles aching and sweat pouring from my head I probably would have collapsed. The good blokes wanted to have a few pics with the kingie and I happily obliged.

All packed and driving home I was singing the victory tune from the movie top gun feeling totally stoked :thumbup: . All the way home I was thinking of the unusaul circumstances of the catch: It was pitch black when I caught the kingie but dawn broke not so soon after. I was also using not quite so fresh strips of squid and quite small ones too. Infact they would have only been 5-6 cm strips of squid. And last of all it was caught at a beach? :blink: . What a FLUKE Huh?

Anyway heres the stats :

118cm

18.4 kg

KINGIE

post-8377-1230246579_thumb.jpg

post-8377-1230246687_thumb.jpg

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is one monster King :1yikes:

Very unusual to catch kingies in the dark they usual can't see a thing and if they ever do get hungry and want to hunt i think it would be by smell that kingie is one greedy fish taking such a small piece off squid

A.dAWg~~~

Top report ASJ, excellent reading mate! :1welcomeani: Welcome to Fishraider ASJ !!

Great kingfish mate, a definate contender for fish of the month-What a good way to introduce yourself! :thumbup: Next time get there closer to the top for your jewfish... it looks like you got there a bit late as sharks usually come in later in the run out.

For a minute I thought you were going to punt that soccer ball fair between the pine trees :D

I believe there are a lot of fish out the front at the moment.

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1: