Port Hacking Species Fest'..

Pukka

Well, judging by Mitch's report it looks like the frigates are everywhere! :1yikes:

Bassifier and mee good self hit the Hacking this morning and yep, the frigates were on fire here also.

Firstly, we went to the mouth of the river to see if there was any surface activity and it didn't take us long to find the Frig's scything thru the waves. These were on the small size however so after we'd both caught a couple each we decided to head upriver.

Our intention had originally been to find some nice bream off the grass, but with these speedsters around the popper plan went on the back-burner. Motoring along our eyes lit up as we spotted massive bait schools and even bigger frig's chasing them.

Some half a dozen fish later with tiring wrists, arms and shoulders we took a break and jigged deep for a while to see what was making the great arches appearing on the sounder. Well, the arches turned out to be a mutlitude of different species and we caught our fair share of all of them including; snapper, tailor, yellowtail, frigates, trevally and a lone soapie jew! :1yikes:

Later in the day Richard also got bust off royally by a rather large kingy and we spotted a few more but couldn't tempt them into taking our lures.

After the pelagic fun slowed down we headed to the rocky shorelines to get back to our original plan of catching a few bream. A couple of casts later we had bream of all sizes smacking our poppers with Rich' getting a particulary nice fish which is pictured below.

As the wind got stronger we decided to give the frig's one more go before hometime and a couple more were added to the boat before we got tired of chasing them around the bay.

What a day it was.. it seemed like every species in NSW was feeding on the masses of bait fish in the Hacking. Awesome.

Pukka

Guest Jocool

Onya Joe and Rich! Arent they awesome on light gear! :thumbup: I gotta admit, I never landed one the other day, but Geez....don't they run hard! :1yikes:

When I use to fish the stones live baiting we would give our left nut for a live frigate for bait the saying was better a dead frigate than a live yakka. Did you give any thought? To using a frigate as a live bait.

PS that must have been top fun :thumbup:

Top report and pics Joe!

and my friends wonder why i don't want to leave the port at the moment!! all the species are really firing right now..kings, frigates, bonito, watsons, salmon, tailor, bream, snapper, jew and a few others i have heard various report about

missed out on a fish today, but the canoe is plenty dried out for tommorrow afternoon :)

cheers

Chris

Good report as usual pukka also any 1 fish terrigal haven the frigates are on and also a trusted source got a 4 kg mack tuna off the point all on single tail white soft plastics. Got to love them on the bream gear

awsome report Joe :thumbup:

I would give my casting arm to get out there at the moment but bubs, bdays, weddings and work are making it impossible. At least u have some great pics, the action photos makes me feel like I am out there. :thumbup::thumbup: are they just taking bass minnows etc?

awsome report Joe :thumbup:

I would give my casting arm to get out there at the moment but bubs, bdays, weddings and work are making it impossible.  At least u have some great pics, the action photos makes me feel like I am out there. :thumbup:  :thumbup: are they just taking bass minnows etc?

34448[/snapback]

Hey Rick, thanks mate and thank you to all who replied. :thumbup:

Richard had success using a P'seed Bass Minnow and I was using a Watermelon/Pearl Ecogear Minnow-S.

The faster you retrieved the more interested they seemed to get, but it was hard work trying to keep the speed up and my wrist would just 'lock-up' on some casts.

Hope you get the opportunity to get out there Rick, I've a feeling they could be around for a while longer yet.. fingers crossed.

Joe

Edited by Pukka

I have never tried plastics on Frigates before but they love white. A small white plastic would have to be a goer. The good old barrel sinker is very effective also. Either painted white or scraped shiny with a knife & have it free running on the line above a small treble. Cheap & very effective.

Guest hottuna

Was out sunday arvo down near the weir at grays point. That upper area had hundreds of big frigates churning the water to foam all the while people swimming and looking in amazment. Had the waterway all to myself. Landed a few.........

dan

Was out sunday arvo down near the weir at grays point. That upper area had hundreds of big frigates churning the water to foam all the while people swimming and looking in amazment. Had the waterway all to myself. Landed a few.........

dan

35468[/snapback]

gday

do you mean the diversion wall up from Grays Point? or the weir at Audley? either way , cool , i havent seen them that far up.

what did you get the frigates on?

cheers

Chris