Spotted Trevally?

Razza137

Question

ok, stupid me forgot to take a picture but ill describe it as best i can, hope someone can help

i caught it off the rocks at maroubra

it was about 40cm long, all black when i pulled it out of the water but after it was in the bucket for awhile it turned yellow with small black spots all over, it had a tiny mouth, probably 2cm, no scales- was slimy, shaped like a trevally but it had spikes down it's back like a bream

the fish i caught looks like this spinefoot same shape and features i think, only problem is that mine was larger and the wrong colour, according to fishbase they only grow to 28cm so it can't be unless there's a bigger version??

post-9488-1231204594_thumb.jpg

Edited by RaZZa!

15 answers to this question

what was the tail like? i think i have something

[EDIT 1]

Could be a black drummer?

Luderick? (doubt it)

Coral trout looks like it would fit the descriptions but it has a larger mouth..

Could have been a baby emperor

just needa know the tail shape

Edited by hawksburydave

Id say its a spinefoot. In the Aus Fiaherman's companion (can i say the name of the book?)..

"Capable of rapid colour changes"

"..grows to about 35cm"

"Handle with care and avoid the spines"

Now it says about 35cm, that doesn't necessarily mean it won't grow to 40 or so cm, but its rare

Id say it's a spinefoot or otherwise known as Stinging Bream, Black trevally

what was the tail like? i think i have something

[EDIT 1]

Could be a black drummer?

Luderick? (doubt it)

Coral trout looks like it would fit the descriptions but it has a larger mouth..

Could have been a baby emperor

just needa know the tail shape

Since when did they venture this far south?

hmmm...id definitely have to say it's some sort of spinefoot, i just can't seem to find a picture of the (Siganus nebulosus) if that can turn black and then yellow with black spots im pretty sure that would be it

heres some info razza

http://www.scuba-equipment-usa.com/marine/...nebulosus).html

spinefoot is another name... they have many common names....

they can range in colors from very light and sometimes hard to see spotted markings to very dark and pronounced markings....

hope this helps...

common bycatch when fishing for blackies at some spots..a real pest as they strip bait from hooks better than any letherjacket could dream of doing....

heres some info razza

http://www.scuba-equipment-usa.com/marine/...nebulosus).html

spinefoot is another name... they have many common names....

they can range in colors from very light and sometimes hard to see spotted markings to very dark and pronounced markings....

hope this helps...

common bycatch when fishing for blackies at some spots..a real pest as they strip bait from hooks better than any letherjacket could dream of doing....

the only thing that gets me is this was over 40cm and the colours weren't a slight variation of the spinefoot, it was totally different.... we were fishing for blackies though

Ive caught the deep water jigging for snapper and the colours do vary but i think its more to do with male and female.

And yes do NOT EVER EVER EVER TOUCH ANY PART OF THIS FISH.......The word PAIN will give you a new meaning if your unlucky enought.

Edited by snag

Copafisher caught a Spinefoot and the colour is a bit different to the one in this post , same species different colour variation.

http://fishraider.com.au/Invision/index.php?showtopic=37318

closer ??????????

yea that's a lot closer to what i caught just the wrong colour, maybe mine was half chameleon or something, when it came out of the water it was black, in the bucket it was yellow with black spots and when we got it home it was all black again

The genus is Siganus and there are over 20 species. I regularly eat them in Indonesia (most likely a different species). They are sometimes referred to as rabbit fish because of their small, toothy mouths. I have never handled them and not sure if all species are venemous.....best to play it safe and avoid touching the spines.

I do aquaculture research and have seen them farmed in floating sea cages in Indonesia. The species are probably different to the one you caught at Maroubra.

yea that's a lot closer to what i caught just the wrong colour, maybe mine was half chameleon or something, when it came out of the water it was black, in the bucket it was yellow with black spots and when we got it home it was all black again

Razza, the one we caught was around 40cm, and appeared to change colours from light speckled green when 1st caught to a darker green (almost black) when it came of hook and fell onto the transom. It had gone a pale colour as shown in photo by the time I cleaned & filleted it.

I recall there are many types of rabbitfish, as Jezzo indicated, but the common one in Sydney appears to be Siganus nebulosus, seems to be wide colour variations. Key appears to be the distinctive shape/fins, speclked appearance and the "emerald green eye" which one of the previous post links indicates. They taste quite good but I was extremely careful not to spike myself when handling it.

Cheers