Uncommon Catches In The Harbour

donjuarez

hey all,

A mate of mine managed to catch a juvenile golden snapper in the harbour yesterday of about 15-20cm which was safely thrown back to grow some more... Far from an expert, but I thought that these were only available in the the more northern/tropical waters?

I recall a juvenile Cobia caught last year inside also, and a few months ago i also caught a zebra stiped 'aquarium' looking fish in middle harbour.. a cross between an angel fish and a batfish with a longish snout... what other uncommon fish have people come across lately?

hey all,

A mate of mine managed to catch a juvenile golden snapper in the harbour yesterday of about 15-20cm which was safely thrown back to grow some more... Far from an expert, but I thought that these were only available in the the more northern/tropical waters?

I recall a juvenile Cobia caught last year inside also, and a few months ago i also caught a zebra stiped 'aquarium' looking fish in middle harbour.. a cross between an angel fish and a batfish with a longish snout... what other uncommon fish have people come across lately?

Any pics, juvenile golden snapper are easily identified by a large dark spot near the tailfin area, hence they are refered to as fingermark until they grow then they are usually found on offshore reefs, I also believe they are a ralative of the mangrove jack, cheers Justin.

I wouldnt be too sure of it being a fingermark most likely it would be a moses perch which are commonly mistaken for fingermark and occasionally caught this far south

Fingermark(lutjanis johnni)

post-62-1232335600_thumb.jpg

Moses perch(lutjanis russelli)

post-62-1232335730_thumb.jpg

Edited by The Iceman

I've heard rumours over the years of Jacks in Queenscliff lagoon and Narra lake. The QL ones supposedly died off after a pesticide spill at the golf course upstream.

Mind you, some scientsts have indicated Jacks could well extend their range south as water temps increase. There is an upside to global warming!! :yahoo:

Bring on the jacks

I've heard of fingermarks and jacks being caught a couple of times around the lagoon and narrabeen but not for a while. I've seen some really small moses perch around jettys but never caught one.

Cobia do visit every now and then, there should be a few popping in with other sub-tropics around autumn time like samsons, amberjacks, spotted mackeral, frigates etc... One of my favourite times to fish autumn.

Those stripy fish are quite common, plenty of little fish like that none of us know about.

I wouldnt be too sure of it being a fingermark most likely it would be a moses perch which are commonly mistaken for fingermark and occasionally caught this far south

Fingermark(lutjanis johnni)

post-62-1232335600_thumb.jpg

Moses perch(lutjanis russelli)

post-62-1232335730_thumb.jpg

Defintely had the bright yellow fins, and the eyes of a squire... don't recall i it had the spot or not... is the spot on one or both sides? only looked at one side of the fish :wacko:

Over the years I have got Jacks, Diamond trevelly and estuary cod out of the harbour. Only the jacks have been mature specimens the others have been juveniles. With the current transistion from the El Nino effects, which pushed warm currents closer, to the La Nina, I think northern species catches will be greatly reduced.

Defintely had the bright yellow fins, and the eyes of a squire... don't recall i it had the spot or not... is the spot on one or both sides? only looked at one side of the fish :wacko:

What made you think it was a fingermark if it didnt have the fingermark spot? Would have been a dead give away I would have thought!!

scotty d - I believe that story about the lobster there are a fair few of them around if you know where to look, alot of guys free dive for them

There are also alot of red morwong in the harbour but i have heard they are crap eating, can any one verify?? Alot of spearers i know will only take one as a last resort...

30 yrs ago myself & the other local kids used to make fairly regular catches of Estuary Cod in Middle Harbour at Bunny Rabbit's and the salt pan wrecks. They were not tiny juvies either, most around 2-5kg, clearly they were resident and breeding in local waters. I recall recently an article by Mr purple charter boat about a monster tackle thief that lives in said wreck and will dust you on any tackle class. hmmmmm

Haven't seen a single cod since 1982 and never seen a Lutjanid in Sydney waters :(

EDIT: prior to the dioxin pro ban lobster were trapped commercially in the Harbour for the live trade, very close to shore. Close enough I could chat with the guy at normal conversation level while he retrieved his trap with two very nice specimens inside

Edited by Jigholio