The Men In Grey Suits - Sydney Harbour

fishmaniac

G'Day all,

This is just a quick report on my interesting weekend.... Sorry in advance about no pics.....

Went out sat morning for a quick fish. Got to my spot and started fishing for kingies. The first king was hooked and after playing him out on 8lb he was near the boat.

A nice fish around 60cm when a BIG shark came and swallowed him whole. The shark was about 3-3.5m (nearly as big as my tinnie).

About 10 minutes i get a take on 8lb and struck immediately to what felt like the bottom. Then i realised the bottom doesn't move. A long sustained run saw my 100m of braid dissapear while we quickly pulled up anchor and gave chase (by this stage i was almost looking at an empty spool).

A few head shakes made me think it was a shark and not a big ray. We gave chase for not one work of a lie.. about 2km!!! I had not made more than about 5m back (apart from what we had drove to catch up) in 15mins. And on 8lb with a flourocarbon leader.. who would i be kidding to land this monster... So i locked up and busted it off..

We managed a few more kings (all undersized) and troled up tailor and bonito later that morning.

Sunday i went out with the mrs. I was chatting to a boat that was nearby and mentioned the shark. He didn't seem to take it that seriously. Sure enough it wasnt long before i had hooked a king and so had the other bloke. I managed to land mine and let him go for another day. Unfortunately the other king was snatched boatside of the other fisherman by a monster of a shark. This time it made its power and size well known taking the fish at the surface..

All i said was "I warned ya mate..."

It was either a big bronze whaler or a big bull shark. And this doesn't surprise me after my brother has had 2 encounters with bull sharks (about 1.5m and around 3, respectively) under the gladesville bridge in the last 6 months.

One evening this week or perhaps on the weekend i will probably head out with 24kg and give this kingie bully a bit of a taste of his own...

I have spoken to others who fish regularly and this is not a one off. 2 days in a row cetainly speaks for itself. So think twice before chucking ppl in a dohnut in the harbour. I certainly won't me taking a dip in areas adjacent to deep dropoffs for sure any time soon.

That would have been one chilly experience indeed.

Are sharks territorial?

To have had fish mauled two days in a row by possibly the same noah is frightening to say the least, especially inside the harbour.

Good heads up for those who like to take a dip.

Mate,

Don't want to be a killjoy but if the shark is nearly as big as your tinnie, hooking it up on 24kg is definitely NOT a good idea. A big shark like that is massively powerful... 200-300kg of fish could easily put you in the water. Not a place I'd want to be with a shark.

Cheers, Slinky

Mate,

Don't want to be a killjoy but if the shark is nearly as big as your tinnie, hooking it up on 24kg is definitely NOT a good idea. A big shark like that is massively powerful... 200-300kg of fish could easily put you in the water. Not a place I'd want to be with a shark.

Cheers, Slinky

Yea i know mate. My plan was to have a bot of sport and keep my distance. If it was not too big, I would guide it to a beach like the large area in rose bay and convert to landbased. That way it would not risk causing complications with the boat. As i am very aware after experiencing the power of tuna only a portion of the size of this fella!!!

Thanks for the concern mate!

Cheers, Andrew

Where abouts in the harbour was this Andrew, always good to know where they are roughly.

How many bonito did you get also, haven't heard of them being caught in a long time in the harbour.

Cheers

Josh

Yea i know mate. My plan was to have a bot of sport and keep my distance. If it was not too big, I would guide it to a beach like the large area in rose bay and convert to landbased. That way it would not risk causing complications with the boat. As i am very aware after experiencing the power of tuna only a portion of the size of this fella!!!

Thanks for the concern mate!

Cheers, Andrew

Hey fishmaniac. Loads of people swim at Rose Bay but i would love to see their faces if you pulled one into the shore there.

We got a couple of bonito on the troll within the harbour on the fringes of feeding tailor. All were of a good size (including the tailor), around the 40-45cm mark.

The shark was encountered around Chowder Bay, but i had a shark take a bait aimed at kings only two weeks ago near shark island also. I have alsoe seen them surfacing at Dobroyd head. Funny that the shark i hooked was heading for shark island (i thought that was absolutley classic)!

Kingy Kid, i can assure you it wasn't a 50kg king, otherwise i would have been spooled before i had my anchor rope up :1prop:

Cheers, Andrew

And this doesn't surprise me after my brother has had 2 encounters with bull sharks (about 1.5m and around 3, respectively) under the gladesville bridge in the last 6 months.

thanx heeps for the warning mate i go under ther with frnds on ther tinnies and one frend lives right next to the bridge on the water an me an her almost went out on a blow up boat there ...... never doin that agen i never would ov expected big sharks of that size neer there

G'day, I put a same post last about sharks in Botany bay.

There was a 3m shark what looked like a bronzie crusing on the surface middle of the bay..

It seems like sharks are struggling to get feed out there so coming in for easier meals,

let's not be part of that..... :(

keep safe.

Cheers

Richard

G'day, I put a same post last about sharks in Botany bay.

There was a 3m shark what looked like a bronzie crusing on the surface middle of the bay..

It seems like sharks are struggling to get feed out there so coming in for easier meals,

let's not be part of that..... :(

keep safe.

Cheers

Richard

I wouldn't say they're struggling, i think they are attracted here by the amount of tasty pelagic fish that are close to the coastline and inshore as well as the big schools of yakkas, pillies and slimies we've been seeing recently.

Probably only a matter of time before they become a problem on beaches.

I used to surf a lot and there are a lot of places I wouldn't surf any more. One thing that always surprises me is how cool some punters think it is to go for a swim in the harbour.

I used to go out with a Canadian girl and we went for a swim at Fairlight. I stuck in close to shore, and shat myself as I watched her swim further and further out. She ended up about 100 metres out, and I was just sitting there thinking "what if?".

When she swam back in I told her she was nuts and she brushed it off. A few days later I read in the local paper how there was a few bronze whalers around Fairlight recently...handed the paper to her and watched her read the article as she slowly internally shat herself, went pale and obviously started thinking "what if?"

No chance I'd swim in the harbour any more...Fairlight pool is great at high tide!

:1prop:

ANDYYYY Mate,,,,

nice post, need to get some picks of the sharks. ill be ready when your ready to go get the sharks. i got the rod ready and the phone by myside waiting for you to say its on. its a shame you didnt get to land the kingfish though.

good too see you getting alot of action on the water.

fellow raider iqbal... :1fishing1:

Gee it sure makes you think.

Had something similar happen a year back,hooked a decent King on light line.They always head for the piles where I was fishing so I thought NO CHANCE......instead it took off like a maniac into open water even though I was applying little pressure. Thinking afterwards I'm positive it was avoiding being dinner for the sharks.I landed it quite easily as it was so exhausted by the time it stopped running! :1welcomeani:

Edited by StarCitySlic

I have recently hooked sharks in the harbour around 1.5 meteres drifting with live yakas (double hook ups ) (lost 1) wasn,t that deep either drifting past watsons bay , not sure what kind of sharks they were but from the size of the teeth on them i reckon they could easily take a mans leg off ect, i cut the line boat side.

You wont catch me swimming around there. :wacko:

I also have a small recording on my phone of another over a metre i have had beside the boat , savage looking thing with rasor sharp teeth also cut the line :)

Hmmmm I dont suppose you would be able to say which pro? I knew of one in particular that "ALWAYS" finds big sharks whilst out chasing kingys LMAO!!!! Even when we have fished alongside each other over the past few years,,,,,,, weird. I might need to get my scripts updated :biggrin2:

Dan

I also spoke to that guide and quizzed both his clients about the experience. I absolutely believe they saw a very, very large Tiger shark near Balmoral and another large shark also possibly a tiger but smaller a short time later. The guide is not going to lie in front of his clients and vica - versa. We lost our first kingie yesterday to a shark (got the head back) and there was another shark at Clifton Gardens today. There was a pair of hammers amongst kingies on Friday in the upper Harbour.

There are heaps of sharks from January to April every year so it should come as no surprise.

JD

post-2415-1233743464_thumb.jpg

A mate and I were cruising near Clifton Gardens yesterday morning (Tuesday) and witnessed an identical incident.

Two other boats were at the marker fishing and doing okay on light gear too, from what we could see, one of the three blokes in a runabout was hooked up for a couple of minutes and slowly winning, when a BIG Fin and tail surfaced next to their boat and snatched his fish off the surface. We were probably 25-30metres away from the guys and we saw that it was a good sized shark from where we were.

Five minutes later the same guys rod buckled over and flipped up and over the gunnel and into the drink. none of them looked real keen on going in after it. :074:

Fishing with two buddies a bout 3 weeks ago and

one of them had a small king on ,then it got a lot smaller......

damn sharks!

post-3896-1233808141_thumb.jpg

Nice pic Jas!!! :mad3: sharks!. Ah well, shows we arent the apex predator in the water. Just that time of the year where there are stacks of sharks around, and have been since october feeding off the salmon schools off the heads and beaches. Hmmmmm might be time for a session off Dee Why.

Dan