1 Or 2 Piece Rods

LittleNoah

Just wondering what are the advantages and disadvantages of both, (except the 2 piece is more compact to transport) I'm talking about when you're using them.

I have a preference for 1 piece and all my rods except my blackfish rod are 1 piece.

I've heard stories of rods coming apart while fighting a fish or when casting out.

So, what are everyones thoughts, what do you prefer and why?

:1fishing1::1fishing1::1fishing1::1fishing1::1fishing1:

Just wondering what are the advantages and disadvantages of both, (except the 2 piece is more compact to transport) I'm talking about when you're using them.

I have a preference for 1 piece and all my rods except my blackfish rod are 1 piece.

I've heard stories of rods coming apart while fighting a fish or when casting out.

So, what are everyones thoughts, what do you prefer and why?

:1fishing1::1fishing1::1fishing1::1fishing1::1fishing1:

i think personally it depends where the join is on the 2 peice rods. if it is low down like some of the new shimano rods it has very little impact on the feel of the rod. saying this, i feel with ultra light gear it is best to always have a 1 peice rod as any join will impact on the action of the rod. with graphite rods i have never had any come apart and some times it is the complete oposite.

I can support the rods coming apart theory.

I used to have an 8ft graphite rod which I used to get nice long casts. After a couple of months it would come apart every 50 casts or so which was really annoying seeing as it would fly into the water 2m below me :ranting2:

Now I use 1 piece for light stuff but I've got a 24kg T-curve spin rod which is two peice but I don't think such a good rod would give me any troubles.

IFS

Hi LittleNoah In regard to medium to heavy spinning rods..... Unless you have one piece rods that are up to the quality of the older Butterworths in the line class or custom made rods made out of quality blanks, some of the better two piece rods are designed specifically to be made two piece and are made well enough to separate the tip section and give the tip and the butt section their own task I.E. the two piece section creates a damper that makes the tip section more lively in itself and the bottom section being separated finishes up stronger and gives the butt section it's own power to take over the leverage by not having to "carry" and not having to react as an extension of the tip section........ The good quality 2 piece rods are more convenient to carry and transport....The manufacturers of Ugly Stik have the join section lower as Mark's said on the good quality light weight models and also on some of their shorter medium weight models. Whereas in their heavy beach rods they have opted for no longer than 12 footers which they claim gives their beach rod the leverage advantage over others brands when two pieced in the centre...... I have one of their heavy weight 2 piece 12 footers and it was so strong that I almost brought a power line down onto the road and the only thing that gave up was my spectacle frame.

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

LittleNoah,

These days there is little to seperate them. I just finished reading an interesting article on this subject in one of the well know fishing mags. Conclusion was that 2 or multi piece rods work very well these days. I've got a number of 2 piece rods ranging from 13ft beach rods to 6' bream rods for convenience sake & have never had an instance of them coming apart while in use nor any issues with their action whilst hooked up. I think it's also a bit of you get what you pay for as well. Some very well respected makers now produce 2 to 5 or 6 piece rods of extremely high quality. The only reason I've bought 2 pices rods is that they easily fit into the car. If transport is not an issue for you then purchase whichever suits your needs.

Cost isn't usually any different either. 2 piece Shimano Raiders for instance are exactly the same price as 1 piece.

Paul

Edited by kingys what kingys?

.....I have a preference for 1 piece and all my rods except my blackfish rod are 1 piece......

Isn't that funny - most of my rods are 2 piece, but my preferred blackie rod is 1 piece!!

I've had one of my 2 piece flick stick & my 4 piece fly rod 'come apart' whilst casting, just like IFS says - very annoying ...... just as well the hook stops that half from going down into the briney!! And I have 'snugged them up' really well too!

2 piece rods definitely makes it easier to travel with tho & most quality ones are very well engineered these days & work as well as 1 piece. It all depends on how many $$ you want to spend. Save up & get a good one.

Roberta

.....I have a preference for 1 piece and all my rods except my blackfish rod are 1 piece......

.....Isn't that funny - most of my rods are 2 piece, but my preferred blackie rod is 1 piece!!..........

Roberta

Funny alright especially when all of your rods are 1 piece and most of your rods are 2 piece :D

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

hehehe, looking back, that does look pretty funny!

Little Noah said ........I have a preference for 1 piece and all my rods except my blackfish rod are 1 piece......

Roberta said .... Isn't that funny - most of my rods are 2 piece, but my preferred blackie rod is 1 piece!!.....

Cheerio

Roberta

i prefer 1 piece. i have nitro magnum butt and casted a lure a bit heavier than the specs suggested. a loud cracking sound came from the rod and a small crack can be seen on the ferrule. if i go for two piece rods, i go for rods that are seperated from the handle. ie some daiwa saltigas

If the joins in rods were perfect we would all have eleven piece rods and keep them in the glove box.

If you have the room to store them or travel with them then go for a one piece every time. They bend and fight smoother and most people who have a two piece have had it seperate on a decent fish. If you dont keep it snug you will even have the top half follow your cast from time to time.

Dave