Shimano Tld 15 Question

Coast_Bloke

Hey guys,

Looking at buying a TLD 15 or 20 for my outside rig. Would like to know if these are good overheads compared to say penn 330's etc. And if I could still use it for trolling. (main use would be bottom rig, and inside jew catcher)

Plus any info on a matching boat rod would be appreciated. Happy to pay good money, might even trek down to ABA if the price is right :biggrin2:

Ive got the 20 with 15kg and use it for kings and stuff off the rocks. Although caught nothing really big they are awsome reels. For bottom bashing i like my speedmaster for that or daiwa sealine sl 30 sh . THese will handle jew and are probarly cheaper. Just my thought

Edited by tyrone07

As a bottom outfit and jew outfit, a decent star drag will be ok. A lever drag is better but and opens you up to more options. You can definately use them for trolling, this is what they do best. :biggrin2:

However I would steer away from the tld15 all together as the Daiwa LD50H is a better reel IMO. The TLD20 is fine though.

Rods worth looking at off the rack are Shimano backbones, daiwas, live fibres.

Guest hottuna

Like Bashir i went the daiwa ld50h over a tld15, it gets abused running 50lb braid and 5+kg drag, best fish on it was a 40kg mako, and it performed perfectly. The 330gtis are good (i have the 320) which in the last 3 years has caught more kings than i can remember, though i have sort of retired her for the last 8months (newer toys to play with) but still works a dream. Tld 20s for are cheaper $ than the daiwa ld50h and sl30sh.

If you do more bottom bashing the high speed 6.1 or 6.3? of the daiwa sl30sh will get those baits up super fast, i love mine and gets some reasonable jig time in when the seasons hot.

Not that i`m a fan of shimano but also have a look at the torium (high speed) and tekota star drag level wind, there only fairly newish one the market 2years tops so not to sure how they stand up to abuse..

My money would be on a daiwa.

Dan

Cheers guys,

Will have a look at the daiwa's this week and see which one I feel comfortable with.

Sounds like I will steer clear of the tld15... the 20 looks good, the 20 2 speed even better but price is a killer for me on 2 speed jobs.

Thanks for replies.

anything above the tld20 is good.

i run at tld25 as my 10kg trolling reel. it performed perfectly on a 40+kg yellowfin until the double gave right at the boat.

as dan and bashir mentioned daiwa range is good. my 15kg trolling outfits are the sld 30s and i picked up my first marlin on it. after 2 and a half hour fight the reel did not miss a beat. i can say im very happy with these reels.

Went and did some pricing today.

I can get a Maple Hybrid 15KG Special Rod for $379.95, and they will throw in for free a TLD25.

Rod seems over priced, but I am not that experienced with the trolling rods.

Thinking about going with a Daiwa LD50H, as its a much lighter reel for bottom fishing. Holding a TLD25 all day would get hard.

Maybe down the track will get a good trolling rod, but I dont have the cash for both at the moment.

If you guys find or no about a good all rounder with not too much weight in it, give us a yell..

Cheers :thumbup:

Try getting in touch with Allen Glover (Shearwater) about the price of a good rod. He's on the coast as well :biggrin2:

PS - Hows Kincumber these days ? I had a house on the corner of Tora Ave & School St for about 15 years :biggrin2:

Yeh Kincumber is full of dero's :biggrin2: not where I live though... I live more south kincumber.

But I know most of the blokes in the fishen club at kincumber pub.. yeh few dero's, but most good blokes, who like a beer and a fish.. nothing too professional which suits me.. :biggrin2:

Edited by Coast_Bloke

Went and did some pricing today.

I can get a Maple Hybrid 15KG Special Rod for $379.95, and they will throw in for free a TLD25.

Rod seems over priced, but I am not that experienced with the trolling rods.

Thinking about going with a Daiwa LD50H, as its a much lighter reel for bottom fishing. Holding a TLD25 all day would get hard.

Maybe down the track will get a good trolling rod, but I dont have the cash for both at the moment.

If you guys find or no about a good all rounder with not too much weight in it, give us a yell..

Cheers  :thumbup:

35741[/snapback]

Having seen the product in question Id say your paying to much for the TLD and getting the rod for free!! Maples are new the freddies brand product. Made in china and I v strongly suspect based on there older wilsons/kilwell product. but without the even barely passable quality of the previous wilsons based freddies brand gear. you just need to look at the old maple reel you bought as an indication of product quality of the range.

I may be wrong but as they are proprietry product I reckon they have a sales strategy where they elevate the price of the rod based on the fact that they are always going to make the offer made to you. Personally I'd be wary even at that price minus retail cost of a TLD.

If you want a package have a a talk to the guys at ABA first as im sure they have equally good and probably better product that will suit your needs in that price range. ( here comes the plug) If you are prepared to part with a little more $ to get a rod perfectly suited to the reel you finally select and the fishing you intend to use it for feel free to email me at

aglover@shearwaterrods.com.au

:biggrin2:

Edited by allen glover

Well thanks for all the help :biggrin2:

But as I needed a new rig for this weekend, I went to "different" tackle shop and picked up a Penn 320 LD reel, on a Penn Powerstick PPS 6001 OHBH rod, plus 300 mts of braided... feels good to handle, and am happy with price.

This weekend will tell if investment was good :1fishing1:

Allen, will still talk yakka with you about other deal, as I still need a few more for different rigs.

Cheers guys.