Need Boat Buying Advice

nsaykali

hi guys, long time reader first time poster.

its finally time to buy my self a boat, i am currently looking at a few different brands of boats.

i am interested in getting my self a aluminium centre console boat, between 4.8m and 5.2m

i have looked all over the internet and have come across a few brand boats, a few of those being

formosa

stessco

bermuda

brooker

bluefin

savage

lydcraft

trailcraft

all these boats in the centre console range appeal to me, and are around the 20.000 price range (second hand) that i am looking to spend.

now i would like some feedback on some of these brands i any of you have centre console boats.

any help would be really appreciated.

thanks in advance!

hi guys, long time reader first time poster.

its finally time to buy my self a boat, i am currently looking at a few different brands of boats.

i am interested in getting my self a aluminium centre console boat, between 4.8m and 5.2m

i have looked all over the internet and have come across a few brand boats, a few of those being

formosa

stessco

bermuda

brooker

bluefin

savage

lydcraft

trailcraft

all these boats in the centre console range appeal to me, and are around the 20.000 price range (second hand) that i am looking to spend.

now i would like some feedback on some of these brands i any of you have centre console boats.

any help would be really appreciated.

thanks in advance!

Thats quite a varied list and suprising it doesnt include two of the most common hulls in Stacer and Quintrex. I cant speak for all the brands but i think the bluefins are good value and well built and now (new only) come with 4mm bottoms. Good luck and remember buying secondhand get it well inspected and/or deal with a dealer you can trust.

I suggest you take a trip up to Cowan and see Huey (craig) at Huett Marine and have a chat about what you want and your budget. He is very open and honest with information about all boats not just what he sells.

Don't ignore the value of good motors and well set up trailers.

The brands you mention all have varied hull designs - where are you going to fish and in what conditions and is the size limit a storage thing or a budget thing as slightly bigger boats in some brands go up into a new catagory in terms of ride and space? With CC in the smaller ranges you are quite exposed so one question you have to ask is how wet a boat it is and where are you going to store everything.

Hi Nsaykali :1welcomeani: to Fishraider. I've heard a lot of good things said about Formosa for their high sides and dry ride and also good things that one of our sponsors Huey and others have said about some of the better Stacer models as a dual purpose estuary and sea boat within reason. I've moved from full cabs and half cabs to open console boats myself as they provide more fishing room to have others fishing with me, and unless a centre console is a metre longer and wider at the price you mention, I think, in my position needing launch and retrieve help, I would stick to my smaller side console which fishes three or four comfortably for the type of fishing I prefer.

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

thanks for the reply guys,

i will be using this boat to fish around sydney harbour, port hacking, botany bay.

would also like the boat to have a bit of balls to be able to go to and a little outside the heads on a good day.

i am interested in getting myself a centre console because it is a more practical fishing boat when going out with a few mates for a fish.

i do most of my fishing with mates so launching and retriving will not be an issue.

as for the storage side of things, a box seat and a few compartments would be enough for me, and maby some side storage. would also need a live bait tank etc,

my main concern is i dont want to buy a hull thats crap to drive, would like something that can chop through waves (and not fall apart in a few months)

i have seen the specs on the formosa and they are 3mm sides and 4 mm bottom.

as for the quintrex, the centre consoles are over my budget of 20 grand unless something pops up :)

Forget ypur mates as only 2 will ever show so that is 3 up for the day and easy to fish the back of a cuddy 3 up unless fly fishing and have all that protection as well. Capacity ( people) on some is surprisingly low as well

If it doesn't have hydraulic steering price in new cables as well as they turn sharp bends in most and under the floor so don't last as long as they should and wiring looms in bilge also have a shorter life.

Sorry for my bias but love CC on a nice day but sick of a mates that is wet as all hell, conole is too far foward and breaks your back so lucky you are standing You don't fish the front that much as have anchor or drogue out. Anchoring is a breeze though. Winter mornngs are just sooooooo uncomfortable without protection so we end up looking like michelen men. No sun protection on hot days drifting or drizzle protection on overnighters.

That size is not quite big enough for full self draining decks on a lot of em so you loe that safety factor as well if going outside or later through bars.

Try and get out on some similar size boats in different formats and attend teh Rosehill boat show in a couple of weeks and see what is around.

Edited by pelican

my main concern is i dont want to buy a hull thats crap to drive, would like something that can chop through waves (and not fall apart in a few months)

Pelican raises some good points , all worth keeping in mind.

Sorry for my bias but love CC on a nice day but sick of a mates that is wet as all hell, conole is too far foward and breaks your back so lucky you are standing You don't fish the front that much as have anchor or drogue out. Anchoring is a breeze though. Winter mornngs are just sooooooo uncomfortable without protection so we end up looking like michelen men. No sun protection on hot days drifting or drizzle protection on overnighters.

Geoff

thanks again for the input guys,

i have heard the same things come out of peoples mouths about centree consoles about getting soaked, bumpy rides due to the fact that there is hardly any weight at the front of the boat.

i think i might start looking into a cuddy or half cabin type boat.

thanks for the reply guys,

i have seen the specs on the formosa and they are 3mm sides and 4 mm bottom.

as for the quintrex, the centre consoles are over my budget of 20 grand unless something pops up :)

The boats you mentioned are all pressed tinnies - a design not known for a smooth ride in choppy waters. A lot of them tend to crack as well if subject to a lot of pounding. Have you considered other designs, eg fiberglass, plastic (Polycraft), or even plate alloy?

thanks again for the input guys,

i have heard the same things come out of peoples mouths about centree consoles about getting soaked, bumpy rides due to the fact that there is hardly any weight at the front of the boat.

i think i might start looking into a cuddy or half cabin type boat.

Definately have a look into a cuddy cabin style boat in the 5m range,it will get you fishing both in the

bays & close offshore chasing reds & kings.It will keep you & your fishing gear alot dryer,plus gives

a bit more room for when you have 3 people fishing from it.The boat i have now the 5.5m bluewater

stessl is probably the best tinny i have owned,lots of room,wide & deep,plus a nice ride in most

conditions.Quintrex,trailcraft & savage all make pretty good cuddy cabin aluminium boats & for

probably less than $20,000 with a bit of bargaining these days,you should get yourself a pretty

good deal in a boat only 2 or 3 years old.

The outboard motor that comes with it is just as important if not even more than the boat,make

sure it runs perfectly,has been looked after well & you just cant go past a 4 stroke these days.

I have a 115kp Suzuki 4 stroke on mine & its just unreal,so quiet,economical & reliable.

cheers

Steve

Getting the right boat you first have to look at your fishing styles......

If you bait fish at anchor then a centre console is not the right boat but if you lure cast you can't beat it!

My main styles are lure casting, jigging and cubing so a centre console is perfect for me. I use to fish out of a bass boat so open to elements are what I'm used to. A good investment in quality wet weather gear is important for long outside runs or bad weather.

I'm fortunate enough to fit a large boat so I was able to get one with a "T" top and have installed wing clears for the console for added protection in low speed travel in less than average conditions.

Personally I think glass is the only way to go for comfort and ride. In the $20k mark have a look at seafarer vamps and others.

G