Another Good Flattie

Hodgey

G'Day all,

The postie delivered a large padded bag on Monday, containing a couple of reels I had purchased from Slinky. There was a 2500 Stradic Fh and a 2000 SOL, and, as expected, both reels were in faultless condition. Monday and Wednesday nights I gave the Stradic a whirl on some landbased action after work. Managed to snare a 63cm model on Monday night and a 57cm model on Wednesday. The reel was as smooth as silk. :thumbup:

Today was the first opportunity to try the SOL. Matched it to my TD-SOL 701 LXS rod, and placed my other SOL on a TCurve. Now all I needed was something to 'test' it on.

First cast was an absolute shamozzle :blush: Narrowly missed a sand pocket in the weeds (by about 10 bloody feet) and had to dredge it back. Not a very auspicious start, Hodgey. Second cast lands where it was supposed to the first time, and I boat a flattie of 50cm ... one for tea. Next cast ... and the SOL is singing that sweet smooth song I wanted to hear! :yahoo: This fish had a lot of power and gave deep pulsing shudders through the rod. Deno wound his rod in and sat back to enjoy the show. It took a while, but we finally managed to slide the net under this little lady

post-3198-1235267694_thumb.jpg

80cm and once again in superb condition. The 1/8oz jig head was firmly embedded in the roof of her mouth and required some adept plier work to remove it without harming her. Quick photo and send her back where she belongs

post-3198-1235267813_thumb.jpg

Next cast and another flattie of 50+ falls foul of the new SOL and 4" Gulp Minnow in Lime Tiger. We spent the rest of the morning dropping as many fish as were landed. One more memorable moment bears recounting though :biggrin2:

Cast into one of the sand pockets and I'm on. Judging by the frantic headshakes it is not a real good fish. As it nears the boat, I say to Deno: "Get your rod in mate ... I've got a nice fish following mine". I lower the rod tip, my little flattie lays in the sand and the bigger one lays beside it. Deno drop his plastic down to the bigger one ... and it scoffs it without hesitation! :074: 56cm, and into the esky it goes :yahoo:

10 minutes later ... and it almost happens again :1yikes: This time my fish is 46cm and it is being shadowed by a girl approx 70cm. Sadly she spooked before Dene could have a crack at her. I finished the morning with 10 fish, 5 of them for the table. Thanks once again for the reels Tony. They have gone to a good home ;)

Cheers

Hodgey

WOW!!! What a top session!!! Sounds like some good mojo came with the reels!!!

Shame you didn't have the video on for the 'double capture'!!!

Is the entrance still closed up? THe dolphins still in there?? Surprised that there are any fish left!

Terrific day on the water! Well done Hodgey & Dene!! :yahoo::thumbup:

Roberta

Hi Roberta

Yes, the entrance is still closed. There is a substantial distance between the channel and the entrance now ... it will take a huge flood and a lot of digging to open it. :(

The dolphins are still there and the calf is almost as big as the adults now. They only way they're going to leave is through the (eventual) opening of the entrance. Parks and Wildlife are monitoring them and have stated in the local paper that there is no risk to them at the moment.

Cheers

Ian

What a great session. I think the mojo is already down there with Deno and Hodgey, Roberta. That big girl is a beauty.

Those lime tiger gulps have become a bit of a recurrent theme in your posts Hodgey... I'll have to make sure I give one a good run when I head out to jumpinpin for the first time.

Nice work boys and great report Hodgey. Wish I could have popped myself in the padded bag and joined you on the water!

Cheers, Slinky

What a great way to break in the new gear Hodgey! :thumbup: Some of Slinky's charm must have rubbed off on those reels! :074:

Love the photo of the fish being released and it would have been great to see Deno catch the one following yours.

Top report (as usual)

Cheers

Peter

G'Day Hodgey as always an excellent post. Awesome catch! You certainly come up with the goods.

How nice of slinky to send his mojo with the reels :tease: not that you needed any!

That would be awesome to actually see the second flatty following the hooked fish, I have only ever caught flatty's in murky water.

Where are you fishing? From what I can read in the posts the estuary is closed off? I am thinking of heading down to St Georges Basin not this weekend but next to give it a shot.

Thanks again for your help regarding my setup. Much appreciated.

Regards,

Rob

Where are you fishing? From what I can read in the posts the estuary is closed off? I am thinking of heading down to St Georges Basin not this weekend but next to give it a shot.

Regards,

Rob

G'Day Rob

Tuross Head is located roughly 140km south of St Georges Basin.

Good luck on the Hawksbury, and have a great time fishing 'the basin' :thumbup:

Cheers

Ian