Bobbin Head - Kids Stick Rods

sportfish

Went to Bobbin Head for lunch and a walk Sunday but after lunch the kids wanted to go fishing.

I explained that I had not brought their rods or mine so we could not fish.

They have been watching Malcolm Douglas and the 6 year old explained to me that all they needed was bait and they would be right, because they would use sticks they had picked up in the car park.

After seeing them dangling a chip on the end of there sticks in the water hoping for a bite I found some old fishing line and a few hooks in the boot of the car. No sinkers or anything fancy.

So i got them a few frozen prawns from the kiosk and let have a go with their stick rods.

To my surprise ( and the others that were fishing there) the kids caught heaps!!!

The light stick rod got a few little bream, 10 cm tailors and a couple of ??bat fish - see photo

post-7413-1235387342_thumb.jpg

The heavy duty stick also caught a few bream and tailor 9 10cm or so) but then it was almost ripped out of the 5 year olds hand by a 20 cm trevally

The photo was just as it was released - it wriggled and she tossed it before I could get the photo, but the heavy duty stick is visible near her foot.

post-7413-1235388152_thumb.jpg

I dont think I will get permission to by that new rod I was looking at any time soon after the kids show, maybe I might borrow a stick instead.

Looks like good fun, i remember doing that years ago when i was small.

That fish is called a monodactylus not a batfish, similar in shape but you don't get the batfish down here, more a tropical target.

Josh

Malcolm Douglas also inspired me as a kid to go fishing, I use to love how he'd catch huge GT's on home made lures made from plastic bags. :1fishing1: Looks like you guys had a great time,good onya.

I caught my biggest tailor(58cm) from that exact same wharf you guys were on by live baiting a yellowtail as a kid. Your report brought back memories. :thumbup:

Hey Sportfish... one of the most enjoyable posts I've read. It's great to see kids getting into fishing... they always remind us adults how much fun it can be.

Better limit the amount of Malcolm Douglas they watch... they'll be leaping around after crocodiles next :biggrin2:

Cheers, Slinky

Great Story,

my first fishing experience was useing a stick and line and hook found tangled around the rock, a piece of bread i spent 10 minutes looking for end result a puffer fish and then a mullet... haven't looked back since ..... Ahhhh to be a kid again good on you for taking the time to fulfilling your kids hair brained idea of catching fish with a stick... Most parents would just dismissed it and walked away.....

Go the kids!

They have kidpower - something we lose once we decide santa clause isn't real.

They have a sense of creativity, a sense of adventure and enthusiasm that we have long forgotten.

They see the magic of a place, especially if it's new - the new smells, the landscape, the water, the sand and the excitement they feel just radiates from their eyes.

Their mind goes into overdrive and they know exactly what they need to catch a fish - any fish. A stick, some length of line, a hook and a bit of something the fish might eat.

Believe me, they'll remember that day when they are YOUR age and telling the story to THEIR kids.

God love them....

Go the kids!

They have kidpower - something we lose once we decide santa clause isn't real.

They have a sense of creativity, a sense of adventure and enthusiasm that we have long forgotten.

They see the magic of a place, especially if it's new - the new smells, the landscape, the water, the sand and the excitement they feel just radiates from their eyes.

Their mind goes into overdrive and they know exactly what they need to catch a fish - any fish. A stick, some length of line, a hook and a bit of something the fish might eat.

Believe me, they'll remember that day when they are YOUR age and telling the story to THEIR kids.

God love them....

hmmm, wouldnt it be nice to be young again. when simple things can bring some much joy.

brings back memories of going down to the local creek using a spool of cotton thread (i kid you not) as fishing line and hook with bread for bait, catching eels and carp..