Biggggggggg Flatty

Brian

Hi Raiders,

Have literally just got back from my 440k drive from two days on the Hawkesbury. Got stuck at that F3 crash. Very messy. Makes me wonder where I might have been if I had not stopped for fuel at the time I did.

I spent a couple of days fishing with my fishing buddy of fishing buddies, Chappo, in a social competition. Well needless to say we did ok.

The overall point winner, in shore, was Chappo with over 5.5metres in total length of fish. Another fisho only 4 points behind and I followed up for 3rd with about 4.5m. You get bonus points for each fish over legal size. It was a great time and new friends made, tall tales told and some only needed to show the photo, nothing else said.

If Chappo could keep a fish on the hook he would have had about 10 metres, but hey this was competition and he did not know that every time he asked me for a hook I sharpened it before I gave it to him :1prop:

The comp started at 6.00pm on Sunday. We were all set and baited ready to start fishing.

The big flatty was on my first cast, first bait and in the boat about 6.10. Using live poddies it hit like a freight train and ran hard about 3 times but, it was not the usual flatty fight. Chappo called it for a ray, a shovel nose or some other rubbish and I was inclined to agree until it came up beside the boat. :1yikes: That's when the knees started to tremble, Chappo's not me, he had to get it in the net. I started to remember my gaff effort for him about 2 years ago on his king of a life time. :wacko:

She went in really easy and when I got here out I saw the hook was in her belly, on the outside. A No1 bait keeper. I think what has happened as she's grabbed the bait, run and I've struck back hitting her with the hook while she was hanging onto the fish. Every time I put pressure on her she'd go upside down and stop fighting and then as I'd wind back thinking it was rubbish, she'd right herself and off again. If she was mouth hooked I'd say I was no chance.

Don't know the weight but she went 96cm, I'm guessing about 7 or 8kg. Fat as a tick and very healthy. Got some quick happy snaps and back in the water. She swam off with 2 big flicks of her tail and glided back to the bottom. Beautiful. I sat shaking my head for about 20 minutes. I just scored the winning fish in the first 10 minutes. What a start. If I did not get another fish I'd still be smiling.

On any other day Chappos flatty at 62cm would be a big fish, and still is by any noraml standard.

It is amazing that with all the trawler traffic still going in the system it can still produce quality fish, in volume, like it does.

Thanks Chappo for asking me to team up with you. I had a great time.

And well done to Ken and the others for making it happen so well.

Cheers,

BP.

How do I get it in FOTM?

Edited by Brian

Hi Raiders,

Have literally just got back from my 440k drive from two days on the Hawkesbury. Got stuck at that F3 crash. Very messy. Makes me wonder where I might have been if I had not stopped for fuel at the time I did.

I spent a couple of days fishing with my fishing buddy of fishing buddies, Chappo, in a social competition. Well needless to say we did ok.

The overall point winner, in shore, was Chappo with over 5.5metres in total length of fish. Another fisho only 4 points behind and I followed up for 3rd with about 4.5m. You get bonus points for each fish over legal size. It was a great time and new friends made, tall tales told and some only needed to show the photo, nothing else said.

If Chappo could keep a fish on the hook he would have had about 10 metres, but hey this was competition and he did not know that every time he asked me for a hook I sharpened it before I gave it to him :1prop:

The comp started at 6.00pm on Sunday. We were all set and baited ready to start fishing.

The big flatty was on my first cast, first bait and in the boat about 6.10. Using live poddies it hit like a freight train and ran hard about 3 times but, it was not the usual flatty fight. Chappo called it for a ray, a shovel nose or some other rubbish and I was inclined to agree until it came up beside the boat. :1yikes: That's when the knees started to tremble, Chappo's not me, he had to get it in the net. I started to remember my gaff effort for him about 2 years ago on his king of a life time. :wacko:

She went in really easy and when I got here out I saw the hook was in her belly, on the outside. A No1 bait keeper. I think what has happened as she's grabbed the bait, run and I've struck back hitting her with the hook while she was hanging onto the fish. Every time I put pressure on her she'd go upside down and stop fighting and then as I'd wind back thinking it was rubbish, she'd right herself and off again. If she was mouth hooked I'd say I was no chance.

Don't know the weight but she went 96cm, I'm guessing about 7 or 8kg. Fat as a tick and very healthy. Got some quick happy snaps and back in the water. She swam off with 2 big flicks of her tail and glided back to the bottom. Beautiful. I sat shaking my head for about 20 minutes. I just scored the winning fish in the first 10 minutes. What a start. If I did not get another fish I'd still be smiling.

On any other day Chappos flatty at 62cm would be a big fish, and still is by any noraml standard.

It is amazing that with all the trawler traffic still going in the system it can still produce quality fish, in volume, like it does.

Thanks Chappo for asking me to team up with you. I had a great time.

And well done to Ken and the others for making it happen so well.

Cheers,

BP.

How do I get it in FOTM?

WOWWWWWWW :1yikes: THATS A SALT WATER CROC :1yikes: CRICKYS

When did fotm go? Took me two years to get a fish to go in it. Bugga :1prop:

top croc

head is bigger than yours mate

p.s

fotm is gone

It is bigger than mine and after getting a fish that big my head was really big :beersmile:

When did fotm go?

FOTM is in hiatus at the moment ... but the Bait Fishing records aren't!! Congrats on 1st place Brian :yahoo:

By the way, the DPI 'Weigh your catch by ruler' estimates a 96cm flattie would weigh 6.8kg so your estimation was pretty close mate

Cheers

Hodgey

Dear Brian and Chappo

`That's not a flatty, this is a flatty'. Boys sorry I missed out on the comp I would have loved to have been there when you hauled that beauty over the side. Good to see Chappo didn't get square over the kingy saga.

Chappo, all that coaching over the years must have sunk in eventually. But, `You can't fish, you come on'

Well done boys hope to catch up soon.

Regards, Hutcho

Holy :o thats a monster from the deep,and it looks in great condition too. my PB is 3 foot and 10 inches across the head.(didnt have any scales ).WOW fish like that are a capture of a lifetime u wont forget that in a hurry.

the ANSA record for a dusky stands at 9.44 kg caught in richmond river back in 83' for anyone wondering,doubt it will be broken any time soon.

Edited by Frantic