Baitstation On Saturday

fat

headed out from rose bay at 6am on saturday morning . Dropped the lines in at long reef and headed towards the baitstation. Along the way hooked about 20 stripe tunas. Got to the shelf at 10.30 temp change from 24.5 to 25.6 over the shelf then out of now where there was about 7 other boats.Did a few laps before heading to 12 mile at about 1pm. Just want to know if anyone had any luck out there??????????

The ride back in was shithouse!!!!!!!!!

Edited by get-the-net

headed out from rose bay at 6am on saturday morning . Dropped the lines in at long reef and headed towards the baitstation. Along the way hooked about 20 stripe tunas. Got to the shelf at 10.30 temp change from 24.5 to 25.6 over the shelf then out of now where there was about 7 other boats.Did a few laps before heading to 12 mile at about 1pm. Just want to know if anyone had any luck out there??????????

The ride back in was shithouse!!!!!!!!!

yer mate quite a few boats got some striped marlin and i think a big blue was lost. We hooked a 500lb stripe lost him about 10mins later. :ranting2:

Jack

Get the net,

I know of at least 1 confirmed capture, from a boat that got 3 bites not that far from you.

Kingy Kid,

A 500lb Stripe would pretty much eclipse the current world record, sure it wasnt a Blue ?

Chris

Get the net,

I know of at least 1 confirmed capture, from a boat that got 3 bites not that far from you.

Kingy Kid,

A 500lb Stripe would pretty much eclipse the current world record, sure it wasnt a Blue ?

Chris

yer mate thats what i thought but my mate assured me it was a stripey (the bloke who was fighting it) must have been a blue then.... what is the record for a stripey?

Jack

We were fishing the Broken Bay comp.

Saturday we found a pack of about 7 or stripes about 5 nm's north of bait station. We managed a double hook up, one line got run over by another fish on 15kg and busted off, pulled the hooks on the other.

Sunday about 3 nm's west of bait station we scored a short bill and then a 110kg-ish stripe on a skip bait that we chased around on 10kg for two hours before losing at the boat.

Good fishing, shit results....

Guest Big-Banana

Great stuff guys, I mucked around with the tuna for a quick session for a few hours. Had a ball on 4 and 6kg gear.

Mainly stripeys, but did land a small Bluefin around 6kg. Got spooled on another (had a double hook up).

We fished sunday (what beautiful conditions) on the shelf east of 12 mile and hit a striped around 80kg which we pulled the hooks on after 20mins. :ranting2:

However all was not lost as a few hours later in 150 ftms whilst surrounded by acres of little striped tuna we hit this guy.

post-1271-1237532876_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately he came up dead so we boated him, he later weighed in at 155kg.

Not a bad fish for your 1st marlin Greg!!!

post-1271-1237533417_thumb.jpg

Cheers Rod

We on Time to tango lost a blue we are calling around the 350-400kg mark on sunday after 2 hour fight then 1 hour at the boat straight out the front of broken bay in 130fa. Biggest fish i have ever seen in 12 years of fishing, even being weighed.

It was a good fight on 24 with it being run over twice by another boat (we were bumb founded when we came tight again after that), two broken harnesses/gimbles, a scoole of leather jackets hanging under the boat, the extendable tag pole not staying out and a school of 30-50kg yft jumping 4-6 feet out of the water a couple of hundred metters away.

After getting it up to the surface we saw it was body wraped, i was on trace and could not lift its head. I could feel the 600pound trace streching like a rubber band.

The last time i had the leader it slipped through my hands and the trace gloves(rigger glove with the orange gloves that have the crisscross rubber over the top with the finger cut off) got stuck on the snap which started to pull me over the side until the snap opend up. 10 min later we had her back up and tryed to get the snap back togeather which is when it dived under the boat and poped the double on the marlin board.

Another boat Pacimo coming down from Port Stevend lost annother big blue after 3 hours ith the angler exhausted sitting on the cockpit floor in some rough weather and they tore the marlin board off. They didnt loose when the board came of after one of many atemps at the trace i think it went under the boat to.

Bloody marlin boards.

We called our fish 350-400 as on of the guys had fished cairns and got a 350 and said that our fish was way bigger and another guy has seen a 1100pounder weighed in Kona and said it wasnt in that class which we all agreed.

i have a new found respect for those deckies in cairns that grab the big girls without a flinch. I rember talking to a cairns decky years ago that said you have to fight them with the boat once on trace and he was so right.

At one stage i rember looking at my arm and it was shakeing just trying to hold on.

I will never forget the image of it taking a slow motion lazy jump with me in toe for one side of the boat to the other with one beat of its tale(wish we got a photo of that). I looke around and was the other gus picking up ther jaws off the cockpit floor.

I could stop fishing happly now after that sight. It was the fish of a lifetime out of sydney. I wont stop, ill get back out there and try again.

Edited by Davoo

Good call with the marlin boards Davoo(Bloody marlin boards.)They belong hangin up in the shed

, most of the top boats dont run with them and there are many reasons for that. Better luck on the next one.

Marlin01

Commiseration's Davoo, we heard you guy's on the radio and we we're quietly hoping for you.

With a fish like that their is a lot of luck involved in getting him in the boat on 24 doesn't matter how good the angler/crew and skipper work, sound's like you did all the right things; better luck next time.

As you said just seeing a fish like that is something you'll never forget.

Have to say though we also had a guy in another boat trolling around us as we wer'e fighting our fish, almost ran over the line a few times even though we waved him away and tried to call him off on the radio. Don't know what goes on in some peoples minds.

Cheer's Rod.

In the other boats defence they were about 500m away and only having a lookse, its just that we had a 1/4 spool left only, so he thought he was far enough away.

I have to admit that im guilty of going over for a look if someone is backing up, BUT

if a boat is bleering there horn and there is 3 guys in the cockpit weaving ther arms like mad men and the boat is backing up like mad with water coming over the transom you would kinda think that you may be in the way.

Any hoo they didnt cut it off(we did)

We realy wish we could of weighed not to just win the tournment but to see how big it realy was.

Not to put it in the calss of a 1000pounder but it was so long it just didnt have the depth down near the anal fin.

Grea fish