Sp Rod

jahajo

Hey fishraiders

Ive got a budget of around 100-250 and i am just wondering what people think on what might be a good rod. Ill be using it mainly for hardbodies and plastics on bream,whiting,flatties and the occasional pelagic.

The reel i will be using with is a daiwa exceler with 4lb braid.

Cheers

You could have a look at the Daiwa infeet or saltwater series rods. About $230-240, i've got the saltwater series and its great for mixing between sp's and pelagic work. The tierra seems to be pretty popular as well, cheaper around $140.

Cheers

Josh

G'day Hazza,

I've got an Infeet rod and it's fabulous but I haven't tried it on pelagics and to be honest I think a decent salmon is too much fish for it. It's a very slow actioned blank compared to a lot of other rods which is great for protecting and cushioning light line but not so good for putting the 'hard word' on a tough fish. It would handle it with no drama but you'd have to be very patient.

I'd have a look at Berkley Drop Shots too at the lower end of your price range... fantastic value for great rods. There's a 7'2" 2-4kg stick that is magic and I caught everything from bream to kings on mine before upgrading to T-Curves.

Josh does a lot of fishing so his recommendation on the Saltwater Series is definitely a good one to investigate.

Cheers, Slinky

G'day Hazza,

I've got an Infeet rod and it's fabulous but I haven't tried it on pelagics and to be honest I think a decent salmon is too much fish for it. It's a very slow actioned blank compared to a lot of other rods which is great for protecting and cushioning light line but not so good for putting the 'hard word' on a tough fish. It would handle it with no drama but you'd have to be very patient.

I'd have a look at Berkley Drop Shots too at the lower end of your price range... fantastic value for great rods. There's a 7'2" 2-4kg stick that is magic and I caught everything from bream to kings on mine before upgrading to T-Curves.

Josh does a lot of fishing so his recommendation on the Saltwater Series is definitely a good one to investigate.

Cheers, Slinky

You can try the raider rod they are not bad for it's price!

G'day mate, I have been using a Shimano rack Raider for alot of my SP fishing, 6'8" 3-5 kg, a great little rod hard to go past for the price, another is the Berkley Pro Tactic 7' 2-5kg, a fair bit more costly but worth every cent, either of these rods would be worth looking at..

Cheers..

The Team Daiwa Tierra is a great rod for the price. I have seen big flatties, salmon and rat kings caught without a problem on a 2-4kg version. I just bought one for my father in law which I matched up with the exceller 2000 reel and it is a nice little set up.

Not sure if they quite fit into that price bracket but the T-Curves are a nice bit of gear as well.

ive got a new series strudwick softbodz 7'0 6 to 8kg that ive had since chrissy,not sure if its in that price range but its light and got loads of grunt right through to the foregrip,it handled plenty of snapper,samson over xmas and im not talking about undersize fish it might be a bit overkill for 4lb braid but

i picked up browning rod today got it for sp s its a 7 footer 1/4-5/8oz lure wt and 6-17lb line

and am wondering if i have made the wrong choice was gonna get a starlo stix the browning runs an IM7 blank like some of the berkleys do and has fugi guides and is very sensitive but i have not used it on the water

i cant find much if any info on it model number is AG7040MH if anyone knows if its descent give us a holler

i also go a viva 30 too for the rod the smallest reel they had

i picked up browning rod today got it for sp s its a 7 footer 1/4-5/8oz lure wt and 6-17lb line

and am wondering if i have made the wrong choice was gonna get a starlo stix the browning runs an IM7 blank like some of the berkleys do and has fugi guides and is very sensitive but i have not used it on the water

i cant find much if any info on it model number is AG7040MH if anyone knows if its descent give us a holler

i also go a viva 30 too for the rod the smallest reel they had

Depends what sort of plastics you intend to throw around. Being a 6-17lb rod I would assume it would be quite stiff, which can make flicking smaller weighted plastics difficult. I have a similar size rod (8-17lb) that I use for chasing kingies and jews, but if you are after bream/flatties etc you may be better of with a 4-8lb rod. Keep in mind that you will generally throw 1/16 - 1/4 jig heads at bream and flatties.

You could always use it as an excuse to keep it for kings and get yourself another bream setup!

Thanks fishraiders for all the sugesstions :biggrin2:

I decided to buy the Starlo Stix pro tournament 2-4kg. :thumbup:

If any body has any ideas how to transport the rod could you please post them up.

I was thinking maybe a piece of condute.

Cheers hazza :yahoo:

Not sure what you mean about transporting it but i had one delivered the other day and it came in a long cylinder made of cardboard. It very strong cardboard so should last a while. They had just stuffed some newspaper in either end. Is that what you mean? It was like a monster post pack from the post office and i am going to keep it for when i transport my rods in the car so they dont rattle around. As per usual i am sure someone will have a better idea. My mate has a long cylinder made from PVC with a screw cap on the end mounted under his ute that fits a few rods. All of the rods are in cases so i think they are reasonably safe from bashing around in there.

What i mean is that this rod is a 7''3 onepiece.

Because this rod is awkard to put in the car i was wondering how you could transport it on the roof racks so it doesnt get damaged.

Cheers hazza

Edited by hazza

I am surprised as i have one thats 7 foot and that fits in a little hatchback. I have to put down the back seat and have it sitting up on the dash but it works. You might like to think about the cylinder of pvc. You could just tie the piping down on your roof racks when you want to go fishing. It would probably need some sort of padding inside. I am sure piping comes a lot cheaper than your new bream rod. I obviously take the reel off before putting it in the pipe. By the way I just bought a 7 foot Daiwa Team Advantage rod 2-4kg and wait til you cast your new one. Sounds like a beauty. I launched a little metal lure very early in the morning(lost it in the dark) miles onto some rocks by accident as i wasnt used to it.

What i mean is that this rod is a 7''3 onepiece.

Because this rod wont fit in the car i was wondering how you could transport it on the roof racks so it doesnt get damaged.

Cheers hazza

I've read articles and have been told that 2 piece rods and furrule technology today is so good that there is little difference between 1 and 2 piece rods.

If you still have the tags on it, maybe exchange it for a 2 piece, though that is probably out of the question.

Transport being high on my priority list, 2 piece rods are a goer for me. I ended up selling my one piece to a fellow raider as the hassle of transporting a 1 piece in my small car was too much.

i have no problems transporting that rod in a small car, unless you own a 2 seater ute

but if you have roof rack, i'd think about adding a pvc tube to your rack so you can safely transport it everywhere. you can do this for other rods

g'luck with the rod, its one of my favourite rods. imo i think they are undervalued

g'day Hazza

PVC plumbing pipe makes a great inexpensive rod tube. Glue a cap on one end and an adaptor & screw cap on the other.

For padding all I use is an offcut of a car sponge in the bottom and glued under the lid, then I put rods in a rod bag before they go into the tube.

As long as the tube isn't too big the rod won't have a lot of room to move around too much. I've never broken a rod in mine except when I tried once to stuff to many in it for a long trip.

Cheers, Slinky

• 2 weeks later...