Hit The Fads - I Mean Fad Again Today

dandas

Just to make sure I was not imagining things the otherday I went out today to maqke sure there wqas actually a FAD and not just a big floating yellow piece of cheese in the middle of the ocean.

The FAD was still there - Phew.

I was with a mate this time and not just on my own. The conversation always gets more interesting on those days.

I made sure we were at the FAD by daylight this time and we arrived to see Dollys jumping around all over the place. We trolled past the FAD and had a quadrouple hook up. Good fun with 2 guys. Only one keeper, the rest were too small.

Turned around and trolled past again for a triple hook up. All too small. Turned around again fore a single hook up which we kept getting every time we went passed for the next half hour or so. Everything was undersie by about 5 cm.

A couple more boats had arrived by this stage so I decidsed to head to the Port Hacking FAD.

Well I hadn't read the posts here so after a 40 minute bumpy ride in choppy water I discovered the FAD was gone. We turned around and went back to the far FAD off Botany and hooked up a few stripeys on the way. We used them for bait when we got to the FAD and managed to pull in about 20 more dollys but only 2 were legal.

There were a few boats that came and went but then another boat arrived who really pissed me off. We were watching them pulling in dolly after dolly and they werew keeping them all. I could see how small they were and I knew from all the ones we caught there weren't many big ones round. They just kept pulling them in and keeping them.

I wanted to say something but the guy I was with made a good point that you just never know when you will see them again and what they will do.

Headed back in and stropped off at the peak for a quick look but didn't get anything so made our way back to the boat ramp.

As usual, I wouold rather be catching undersize fish and throwing them back than floating around not catching anything at all.

Dan

Hi Dan

Heading out tomorrow from Sylvania waters and was going to hit the port hacking fad. After reading your report I won't go looking for it I'll just head for the Botany bay fads.

Did you come across any fish traps at all.

Any one else fish the fads today or yesterday.

Hookerbruce

Hi Dan

Heading out tomorrow from Sylvania waters and was going to hit the port hacking fad. After reading your report I won't go looking for it I'll just head for the Botany bay fads.

Hookerbruce

I hit Terrigal and Broken Bay FADs on Sunday - lots of small dollies and we lost a nice fish just off the broken bay fad... water was pretty good out wide.

Dan

I was at the the b/b fad some 4 weeks and had a simular thing with another boat out there with a bag full of small dollies. :thumbdown::thumbdown:

I dont know why they would even bother as you wouldn't even get a feed off them they where that small.

Maybe the fisheries should do more mobile patrols around these areas. So all of us other free paying fisho's get there moneys worth.

cheers

bob

Edited by aussie big bob

Hi Dan

Hookerbruce

Hi Bruce.

Nope, the only thing I saw was the single FAD - Botany wide.

We were at the Hacking Fad last Thursday and only boat there all day, not surprised the fad broke free as it was being dragged almost completly under by the strong current, we had to push into it the whole time, but it was worth it as we brought home 5 big dolly's all around the 80cm mark :1fishing1:

Schools of rat kingies swarmed around the boat everytime we slowed down which were fun on the bait jigs, 2-3 at a time kept us occupied between the dollies.

Heard last night that the fad was bobbing around of Cronulla beach, maybe the dollies followed it in :tease:

We were at the Hacking Fad last Thursday and only boat there all day, not surprised the fad broke free as it was being dragged almost completly under by the strong current, we had to push into it the whole time, but it was worth it as we brought home 5 big dolly's all around the 80cm mark :1fishing1:

Schools of rat kingies swarmed around the boat everytime we slowed down which were fun on the bait jigs, 2-3 at a time kept us occupied between the dollies.

Heard last night that the fad was bobbing around of Cronulla beach, maybe the dollies followed it in :tease:

You know they probably would have followed it. May be worth taking a look.....

well done there buddy. Bad news about those muppets keeping undersized fish, where are the fisheries guys when you need them. should get there rego and phone them in, thats what I say.

Good report btw.

cheers

Has anyone tried dropping livies down deeper around the fad to try and tempt a bigger fish. I'll be out on sunday ( along with plenty of others i assume) and i think i'll have a crack with big livies if the main run of fish are only small. 5.5 Cruiscraft explorer with a 150 etec so say g'day if you run across us.

Cheers Shane.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to make sure I was not imagining things the otherday I went out today to maqke sure there wqas actually a FAD and not just a big floating yellow piece of cheese in the middle of the ocean.

The FAD was still there - Phew.

I was with a mate this time and not just on my own. The conversation always gets more interesting on those days.

I made sure we were at the FAD by daylight this time and we arrived to see Dollys jumping around all over the place. We trolled past the FAD and had a quadrouple hook up. Good fun with 2 guys. Only one keeper, the rest were too small.

Turned around and trolled past again for a triple hook up. All too small. Turned around again fore a single hook up which we kept getting every time we went passed for the next half hour or so. Everything was undersie by about 5 cm.

A couple more boats had arrived by this stage so I decidsed to head to the Port Hacking FAD.

Well I hadn't read the posts here so after a 40 minute bumpy ride in choppy water I discovered the FAD was gone. We turned around and went back to the far FAD off Botany and hooked up a few stripeys on the way. We used them for bait when we got to the FAD and managed to pull in about 20 more dollys but only 2 were legal.

There were a few boats that came and went but then another boat arrived who really pissed me off. We were watching them pulling in dolly after dolly and they werew keeping them all. I could see how small they were and I knew from all the ones we caught there weren't many big ones round. They just kept pulling them in and keeping them.

I wanted to say something but the guy I was with made a good point that you just never know when you will see them again and what they will do.

Headed back in and stropped off at the peak for a quick look but didn't get anything so made our way back to the boat ramp.

As usual, I wouold rather be catching undersize fish and throwing them back than floating around not catching anything at all.

Dan

Hi Dan

Great report and i agree with the other fishraiders the idiots that take undersize fish are just plain stupid what they dont realise is that they're taking fish stock that will keep us all smiling in years to come, and these morons are the first to whinge when the fishing gets tough and we dont catch as many- should have taken the rego mate and reported them, lets hope that karma really exists

Has anyone tried dropping livies down deeper around the fad to try and tempt a bigger fish. I'll be out on sunday ( along with plenty of others i assume) and i think i'll have a crack with big livies if the main run of fish are only small. 5.5 Cruiscraft explorer with a 150 etec so say g'day if you run across us.

Cheers Shane.

yes mate i was out on the fad at sydney which has now been moved near whale reef . if you want to land the big ones like i did getiing 2 nice dollies one 73cmand the 82cm and totally smoked on another one. drop your livies down about 40,50 m down depending on depth. youll be amazed at how a livie can jump out of the water getting chased by a dolly , pulling the sinker right out of the water , give it a go , i can pretty much guarrantee that you will lessen your chances of catching baby dollies .

Also about these punters taking undersize fish, have enquired with fisheries . THERES NOT MUCH YOU CAN DO BUT WRITE THERE REGO DOWN & REPORT THEM TO FISHERIES . Only if fisheries gave power to the responsible fishos then maybe we could do someting about this ..................

I know of some people given authorisation by fisheries to control these situations on heavily fished landbased locations . I am currently in the process of applying for a similar role to protect my local ledge about similar issues and others like rubbish dumping.

anyways happy fishing & hope you get the bigger dollies

nick

yes mate i was out on the fad at sydney which has now been moved near whale reef . if you want to land the big ones like i did getiing 2 nice dollies one 73cmand the 82cm and totally smoked on another one. drop your livies down about 40,50 m down depending on depth. youll be amazed at how a livie can jump out of the water getting chased by a dolly , pulling the sinker right out of the water , give it a go , i can pretty much guarrantee that you will lessen your chances of catching baby dollies .

Also about these punters taking undersize fish, have enquired with fisheries . THERES NOT MUCH YOU CAN DO BUT WRITE THERE REGO DOWN & REPORT THEM TO FISHERIES . Only if fisheries gave power to the responsible fishos then maybe we could do someting about this ..................

I know of some people given authorisation by fisheries to control these situations on heavily fished landbased locations . I am currently in the process of applying for a similar role to protect my local ledge about similar issues and others like rubbish dumping.

anyways happy fishing & hope you get the bigger dollies

nick

I was at botany looking at a new boat :wacko: didnt buy it but saw a boat hastily cutting up about 20+ undersize dollies. :thumbdown: Not a good look. Where is whale reef?? :1prop:

Regards

I was at botany looking at a new boat :wacko: didnt buy it but saw a boat hastily cutting up about 20+ undersize dollies. :thumbdown: Not a good look. Where is whale reef?? :1prop:

Regards

whale reef is about 7 to 10 nm ne from north head(sydney harbour , manly) .

I do not have the co ordinates but some one might be able to assist you with the co ordinates .if you have a book with gps marks for nsw it should be in there .

We went out to the place the fad was at the year before but it had been moved to this location there is another fad not far from there aswell.

One is the wave boy & the other is a fisheries fad .

There also plenty of fish traps near twelve mile reef you coud give a go but again i do not have marks we came accross them going out to browns passing through 12 mile .

good luck mate NICK