John Dory

slabslinger

As said They are usually in deep water and wait till june/july before they are in numbers in eustuaries

The entrance to Ganamatta bay and south west arm gets alot on the tiny yakkas with trimmed tails.

Not 100% sure, but i would think from behind... They are really slow so tend to just sit in one spot and then drift slowly towards their pray before inhaling with their gigantic mouths! Basically they dont take a bite out of the bait but inhale the whole thing so you should be able to catch them with a livey nose hooked if its small, but for a slightly bigger livey maybe put on a stinger to ensure a hook up...

Thanks everyone,

I have a few good spots in mind.

Just one other thing, do you know if they attack a livie head on or from behind?

Slabslinger

Never caught or fished for Dorey yet, so cant say for sure

But ... as a general rule of thumb, if the fish doesnt have teeth, then they will swallow bait fish head first

Never caught or fished for Dorey yet, so cant say for sure

But ... as a general rule of thumb, if the fish doesnt have teeth, then they will swallow bait fish head first

Of Clifton there waas a guy who got one on a squid jigs last year :wacko: Never caught one on anything artificial yet only squid strips and live yakkas

Did any Raider get one last season on plastics?

There were a few of us giving it a crack but never heard anything...

G

I hoped you'd forgotten about that... I tried a few times and blanked. Got a few nice Flathead and Trevally as by-catch though. Now I have to focus on northern species.

Cheers, Slinky

I think i instigated the dory on plastics comp! I tried a couple of times and got nothing, also caught absolutely nothing as a by-catch!! Actually, i havnt caught a dory for about 3 years now... Im gonna try again this year with the placcies, im thinking of drop shotting a largish squidgy fish in deep water, keep it in the strike zone a bit longer, what do you think?

Edited by dicko

i remember many yrs ago in early '80s we used to fish taronga zoo wharf and was awesome watching the dory so slowly stalk the lives then whack..... there mouth jettisoned out engulfing yakkas sometimes struggling to fit down their gullet and alot from memory were tail first....

strange as you'd think the spikes would be an issue....

the biggest we ever got was from a friends kid sister about 7yrs old that caught a yakka to have a massive dory way bigger than a dinner plate scoff it down then as it was lifted onto wharf spat it out.very lucky..unbelievable....

she had no idea of what a capture it was..size and way caught :074: ...

havnt heard alot about them over the last few yrs but i dont target them as i dont rate them as top tucker like others do,and as sport well theres no real fight but visuals as i said are awesome.....

use google earth/a depth contour map and look for deep water with good structure or moorings and your in with a chance....

cheers...steve....

Edited by roosterman

Each year the seasons seem to change - call it El Nino or whatever.

I guess a good indication of their arrival would be their showing at the Sydney fish market.

How to catch one is another issue. I for one, have never seen a live specimen.

I guess that's what makes them so intriguing.

Good Luck

Cheers

Mariner

I hoped you'd forgotten about that... I tried a few times and blanked. Got a few nice Flathead and Trevally as by-catch though. Now I have to focus on northern species.

Cheers, Slinky

haha i was going to ask the exact same question, i remember slinkys mission to catch one on an SP

Jack

I think i instigated the dory on plastics comp! I tried a couple of times and got nothing, also caught absolutely nothing as a by-catch!! Actually, i havnt caught a dory for about 3 years now... Im gonna try again this year with the placcies, im thinking of drop shotting a largish squidgy fish in deep water, keep it in the strike zone a bit longer, what do you think?

Was thinking similar, my thinking was stick a shad style plastic down near the bottom and then stick the rod in the rod holder while I fish the front of the boat casting the shore line for other species. They aren't fast moving over a long distance so maybe I have been retrieving to fast. Might be good while trying to catch squid along the edge of the kelp beds threw the harbour.

G

Was thinking similar, my thinking was stick a shad style plastic down near the bottom and then stick the rod in the rod holder while I fish the front of the boat casting the shore line for other species. They aren't fast moving over a long distance so maybe I have been retrieving to fast. Might be good while trying to catch squid along the edge of the kelp beds threw the harbour.

G

Yeah i was thinking the same about leaving it in the rod holder, maybe have it rigged about 1-1.5m off the botom... i was then going to have a livie in a rod holder on the other side of the boat so at least then il have my bases covered and know when they are around if the livie gets taken instead... also i think berly bombing would help as well if your not drifting, get a heap of small baitfish in the one area and keep them there...

As a young kid my brother and I have caught heaps growing up over the years at rose bay,parsley bay,watson bay and woolloomooloo bay all on live yakkas either free swimming or under a float at a depth of around 5 to 10 metres depending on where we were fishing. Just last november and december to my surprise I caught 6 john dory in 5 outing at the peak and 12mile fishing for kings on live yakkas just off the bottom.

Yeah i was thinking the same about leaving it in the rod holder, maybe have it rigged about 1-1.5m off the botom... i was then going to have a livie in a rod holder on the other side of the boat so at least then il have my bases covered and know when they are around if the livie gets taken instead... also i think berly bombing would help as well if your not drifting, get a heap of small baitfish in the one area and keep them there...

What about maybe putting a plastic on your livebait rig as well.

Maybe use a big heavy head as the sinker like on a paternoster and have the live bait suspended on a dropper a metre or so above the plastic.

Never know you might score 2 at once! :biggrin2:

G

Mate top idea! After watching some ifish episodes where they do similar things from the beach i have been thinking of trying that with little 2in gulp grubs above livies aimed at flatties etc to target bream and trevs in deeper areas, didnt think of applying it to the JD Challenge!

Slinky - is that packet of gulps still on offer for the winner?