Parramatta River

mattbowen

Hi Matt,

All of the parramatta river holds fish but generally bream and flathead are the main ones you will end up with that are worth keeping. For kings and jew you would probably need to be east of the harbour bridge or at least near by but i have heard there is a deep hole west of the bridge that holds jew. Near balls head if my memory serves me correctly. I know some hate giving away spots so i hope i havent hurt anyones feelings. You will need a sounder to find it and a lot of patience according to a friend. I used to live in brichgrove and again i heard that blackfish are taken off the headland there. Never caught one myself so up to you if you want to try. I think finding your own special spots is part of the enjoyment so just get out there and experiment.

Cheers Mike.

ps. I have read that you should not eat fish caught west of the bridge but i do sometimes and i am still alive.

Yep anywhere on the river i believe is ok. I was told the other day Birkenhead marina is out for fishing but thats cos it has security guards there that move you on. I am sure this is not the only place that this happens. If its private property then i would suggest finding somewhere else but there are loads of places accesible to the public.

You can, from memory I think there are only carp and eels. Carp are great fun. They pull hard and give you a run for your money.

There are decent Bass in there as well :biggrin2:

Hi Matt

Try fishing at Clarkes Point Reserve. I fish there a lot with my kids and am always surprised at what we bring in. Two weeks ago I cast out a prawn bait on a bream rig and it was hit by a 60cm kingfish (thrown back) as it hit the water . Same day I reeled in a nice but undersized blue swimmer crab attacking my prawn and getting tangled in the line. Over the time we have caught Bream , Flathead , Flounder Leatherjackets and believe it or not squid on a prawn. At night it can produce some good jewfish. Just around the corner is Figtree Bridge which is great on a run in tide casting out to the sandbar in the middle. My daughter caught her PB Flathead at this spot (don"t ask for measurements its her PB). If you want try blackfishing this is a great spot

as there are a couple of locals who are more than happy to let you on to their knowhow. :1fishing1: