What Is The Biggest Bream That You Have Ever Seen

arpie

Hi all

A few years back, my elderly neighbour knocked on my front door at about 9pm at night, to show me the bream he caught on Seven Mile Beach, whilst he was fishing for Tailor!

He was using a full pilchard on a gang of 3 hooks & this is what he caught!

4lb 5oz bream caught from the beach!

post-2231-1239264011_thumb.jpg

When the fish struck, it gave a sluggish fight & he thought it was a shovel nose shark (a common bycatch of bream fishing here.) He was dragging it up the beach, when he saw it was a massive bream & then took a lot more care, hoping not to break it off & lose it in the wash!

It was huge & is by far, the biggest bream that I have ever seen!!!

What's the biggest bream that you have a pic of???

Cheerio

Roberta

Roberta that bream you neighbour caught dwarfs my mate Italian Sam's bream which was the largest of four legals Sam caught when we fished at the Vines in April a few years back.... I reckon we might see a few big bream pics in this topic of yours :thumbup:

post-829-1239266163_thumb.jpg

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

hehe Hi FIshbones - I was talking to him today, to confirm the weight of the bream at 4lb 5oz (on post office scales) as I had remembered it as 5lb something! Good thing I checked! When I asked 'how long it was' he said "I never measure them, only weigh them!" Shame! It was huge! I know that after he filleted it, he kept the skeleton in the freezer for some time, as a 'trophy'!!

My heaviest bream to date is was a 39cm one, weighing in at 1kg (caught last week) even tho I had caught a longer one last year (41.5cm) that was a 'slab' in comparison & still only weighed in at less than 1kg ...... all the more amazing, the one that Gordon caught!

I had previously caught one (that I hadn't measured or weighed) on One Mile Beach here, on a bit of worm, in the middle of the day, clear water, casting & walking between gutters, as I returned to my car. This was after casting & walking the other entire length of the beach! Once again, it gave a sluggish fight & I assumed it was a 'rubbish' fish & was about to 'kick it' up the beach, when I realised it was a very nice bream! No-where near as big as Gordon's, but up around the 1kg mark. Whilst walking past a bunch of young blokes onthe beach, who said "Catch anythi ...... HOLY SH!T"! as I showed them my bream! I enjoyed the adulation!

You will note that, in the pic, Gordon did not 'hold the bream forward' to give an exaggerated view of it! If anything, he held it so close to his body, it was actually larger than the pic shows!!!

I bet there are some pics of some other good bream, from Spencer or other top bream spots ....... hope some make the light of day!

Cheerio

Roberta

Edited by Roberta

Wow Donna... what a horse :thumbup:

I bet Stewy was spewin' :1badmood: (not really, I bet he was proud as punch)

Roberta.... I think that might be the original bream. It must be about 10000 years old to grow to that size. Never seen anything like it. :1yikes:

My PB is about 2.4lb... I caught it in a fishing festival on the Little Swanport river on the east coast of Tassie when I was a kid... the bugger of a family friend entered it in the comp under his name instead of me getting a junior entry. I would have won the junior section with it and got a new rod and reel (A Jarvis Walker Erskine Deluxe from memory) but as it was in the adult comp it got a minor prize of a carton of beer (which needless to say at the age of about 7 or something, I didn't see any of)

As a grown up 38cm is my PB (which Little Slinky has already equaled) :biggrin2:

Cheers, Slinky

Mrs SFM,

That is a beast of a fish. I really think that bream give a great fight for their size but for some reason i always find myself putting them back. I find them such a great fish to look at as well as catch. Roberta what a great post. It would be nice if people (should they know) elaborate on the line class as well as some these days fish with incredibly light lines.

Cheers. Mike.

Not the bigest on this forum but the bigest in my boat.

09032007255.jpg

and a great little deckie :1prop:

Hen and Chicken Bay

4lb braid

38cm

Slider Smoke yellow core

and yes it was caught by my 5yo deckie

Edited by Squizy

Hey! Some nice fish there!! That fish is almost as big as the holder, Squizzy! Bigger, actually!

Stewy, that fish is a horse! - how big did Donna's fish go?

Gordon was using about 12-15lb at the time (targetting tailor), so he was amazed when he got the bream!

.....a family friend entered it in the comp under his name instead of me getting a junior entry......

Shame, SLinky! Amazing how some people have to 'win at any cost! your name should have been up in lights!

Roberta

Here's my p.b on a plastic.

Shore based at H.C bay.

41cm's fork length & 1.38kgs.

I'm trying to scan one I got on bait many years ago that was 1.93kgs. I'll post it when I get it right. :wacko:

The biggest bream I've ever seen took a live tailor meant for jew. It had big, crooked buck teeth & was easily 55cm long & at least 5 lb. No pics to show unfortunately. :(

Cheers,

Grant.

Donna, that grin says, beat that. Squizy, her smile is bigger than the fish, but terrific catch, Grant, well that was okay. Glenn, nice fish. :biggrin2:

Roberta, OMG. did he plant that one or what. I have never seen bream so big, my biggest was only 33-34. Would love to catch a stonker like that.

Cheers

Mrs Flightmanager

Nice fish, guys!

Looking forward to seeing your 'bigger one' Grant - at 1.93kg it would have pretty close to Gordons I think ..... times it by 2.204 = 4.254lb! So Very close!

Shame there is no pic of the cracker 5lber!!

I have heard of absolute monsters being pulled from the Hawkesbury in the 'old days', say 50s-70s.

Roberta

You are rigth, Cath, the Grin usually says it all, eh?

As far as the pics go I reckon we should appoint an odd number of judges to vote, or better still a number of odd judges.... So far, in my opinion the photo of Squizzy's little daughter with her bream would make a top desk top background :thumbup: and a smaller photo of Glen and his bream would make a top fridge magnet for my latest back pain repeats :lol:

Cheers

I once saw a guy catch one off the rocks at long reef years ago that had to be about 6lb!!!!

at the time i had one in the freezer that i caught of the end of milson island that wieghed spot on 4lb and this thing dwarfed mine.

He didnt weigh it or take a photo or anything - gutted, scaled and filleted it on the rocks and threw the carcass in the drink!

If it were me I would have found a good taxidermist! It was definately the fish of a lifetime.

Pete.

I once saw a guy catch one off the rocks at long reef years ago that had to be about 6lb!!!!

.........He didnt weigh it or take a photo or anything - gutted, scaled and filleted it on the rocks and threw the carcass in the drink!

If it were me I would have found a good taxidermist! It was definately the fish of a lifetime.

Pete.

:Funny-Post: The drink with the bream carcass in it is one drink you would't share particularly if you're taking a taxi home

Cheers :beersmile:

Not the bigest on this forum but the bigest in my boat.

09032007255.jpg

and a great little deckie :1prop:

Hen and Chicken Bay

4lb braid

38cm

Slider Smoke yellow core

and yes it was caught by my 5yo deckie

What a great photo.

Boy some nice there guys..

Cheers

Roffo

PS. My PB was at never fail up near spencer, we were sitting along side the cliff face out of the wind storm when a 55cm monster with buck teeth climbed on to my nipper on 4lb mono..

even though the photos dont do this fish any favours

it went 47 fork

this bream was from porto bay racks in the hawksbery

its a pb for me and came on a minnow grub gulp

the week before i got a 45 fork smashing my pb and when i netted this fish i thought id got the magic

50 fork ive been chasing

the fish would have smashed its way into the 2kg club and personely after seeing scott towner way his

40 fork 1.87kgat the 4wd and fishing show estimate this fish to be 2.5 -2.6 kg

i didnt have a camera on board and was alone so i brought her home for the photos

then realesed her into terrigal lagon