Quintrex Freedomsport

Tim

Hi guys

I've been doing a bit of looking around on the net to get an idea of the kind of boat I might buy.

These quintrex's seem pretty good. Do any of you own them, or have an opinion on them that you'd like to share? The 510 freedomsport seems about right. Does quintrex have a good reputation?

I was originally thinking that I'd like a centre console, but then got to thinking about long days in the sun, or driving home in the rain & maybe I'd prefer a bit more protection from the elements.

Cheers

Tim

Tim,

My mate has one.

its a pretty solid boat.

Ive fished it from chasing jews in the hawkesbury and weve been out to the shelf 2 or 3 times.

The ride is pretty solid and it has a nice wide beam so at rest its very stable.

it pretty much covers all angles of what you want to do.

apparently the "millenium hull" is the best out of the 3 designs you can choose from.

Tim

My mate has a 475 freedomsport with the millenium hull and 70/2 yammie.

It's a great stable little boat for inshore and offshore in good weather. They are a great allrounder for fishing watersports and family. They handle the chop pretty good for a tinny.

They get a :thumbup: from me, I can only assume the 510 would be better in open waters simply because it's a bigger boat

Tim,

I own a old small quinnie so I dont think Iam too biased. And remember this is only my opinion so I can be just as wrong as right.

I think you need to work out what you want to do in a boat first and put down the must haves and the wants.

The must haves could be price of course, 2 or 4 stroke, ride and tow weight (this may determine glass or ally), style (CC, cuddy, bowrider, half cab etc...). tow a skier, cover for the family, just fishing or cruising etc...

If I was looking for a straight fishing boat I would not buy a bowrider style of boat. One positive in theory for a bowrider is that you sit a bit further back than a cuddy style so the ride could feel a lot softer.

But if going off shore and conditions are not quite perfect and you get some water over the front it may be too much to get rid of quick, wether this is my thinking and not quite true in practise I dont know but I wouldnt take a chance.

Quintrex make some pretty good looking boats but there are other plainer options that may do the job without all the pretty colours if you are looking for a basic fishing boat.

But if you are looking for a family boat that would be great for a ski, cruise and picnic and some inshore on most days and offshore on the right day it would be a great boat.

Two bobs worth anyway.

Good luck

Patrick

I have owned 2 Quintrex boats a Fishraider 4.5 centre console & a 445 Hornet. Very happy with both of them. In my opinion if you want a boat purely for fishing in that size range the go is a centre console. Sure there's no protection from sun & rain but thats nothing a good hat some blockout & raincoat won't fix.

G'day Tim,

Mate I looked closely at all makes before I ended up with a Stacer 4.6. Have to say the Quinne boats are excellent as well.

Both Quintrex and Stacer are made by Tellwater and have excellent construction and are the pick of the boats in my opinion. The quinnie have a few more finishing touches than most and look great. Have a good look at all makes and take your time.

I went Stacer based on price. The quinnies on average are about 3 grand dearer than the same type of boat from other makers. They are a bit dryer in the slop cause of the flared bow and the millinium hull gives a good ride. Overall good boats i reckon.

:thumbup:

Thank you all for the tips and opinions. Much appreciated.

The boat I buy will be purely for fishing. I'm not into skiing, and my wife is extremely uninterested in boats (that means I get to buy a toy just for me and don't have to take anybody else into consideration... Yay!)

Ken, you reckon a bit of suncream & a hat, or a raincoat is all I need. I thought that too, until I spent a day out on a boat off Fraser. The heat really bothered me and I ended up with the shits by the end of the day. Maybe I'm just soft! haha

Cost is really a factor here, so I appreciate the tips on different makes & models that have been suggested here.

Cheers

Tim

P.S. I just noticed that I've become a "regular member". This website is becoming an addiction!

Ken, you reckon a bit of suncream & a hat, or a raincoat is all I need. I thought that too, until I spent a day out on a boat off Fraser. The heat really bothered me and I ended up with the shits by the end of the day. Maybe I'm just soft! haha

I've survived 20 years in a centre console in Sydney & 3 years in a Hornet here in Caloundra without any problems :biggrin2:

Maybe you need a better hat :biggrin2::1prop: & more cold liquid :beersmile:

Still there's an old saying "no brain = no pain" :1prop:

I've survived 20 years in a centre console in Sydney & 3 years in a Hornet here in Caloundra without any problems  :biggrin2: 

Maybe you need a better hat  :biggrin2:  :1prop:  & more cold liquid  :beersmile:

Still there's an old saying "no brain = no pain"  :1prop:

38418[/snapback]

Haha, maybe it was because it was Christmas and I'd been having plenty of "cold liquid" all week. A sober day was just too much for my body to handle!!!

Cheers

Cost is really a factor here, so I appreciate the tips on different makes & models that have been suggested here.

Cheers

Tim

P.S.  I just noticed that I've become a "regular member".  This website is becoming an addiction!

38413[/snapback]

Hey Tim,

If cost is a factor I can tell you that Quintrex will be the most expensive, and although arguably the best, expensive nonetheless.

Some things to consider perhaps are what type of fishing you do, whether you go it alone, running cost budget as all these things determine your boat type.

For example it may be difficult if you are on your own to launch a bigger boat under certain conditions. Boats over 5 meters can get tricky at times when your by yourself in the wind for eg.

Perhaps a Bow Rider is not the best fishing boat either and you need to look at a runabout or cuddy which have cover if thats what you want, and more useable space.

Bigger boats also have bigger motors and of course use more fuel. A mate of mine has a 5.75 Stacer and ive got a 4.6 Stacer. He has a 115hp and ive got a 50hp, consequently he uses double the fuel - and it pisses him off cause his boat aint much quicker on the water !

There is seriously a lot to look at and this is just a couple of things. Take your time and look at them all. All the main brands are pretty good and around the same money (except quinnie)

BTW Ally Craft and Trailcraft dont make a bad boat and are probably on the lower end of the price scale. Notice your on the coast so some Dealers are located in West Gosford on Manns rd which sell these brands. Of couse I love Stacer cause I got one so look at them too at Huetts in Cowan. :1prop:

If you look at Quintrex forget the dealer in Gosford and go to Terrace Marine they are heaps better.

Hope this helps. Good to see you becoming addicted.