First Go With Blades

Hey guys/girls, just bought my first ever blade a couple of days ago and decided to give it a go yesterday and today. yesterday pickedup a 48cm flattie in the waranora (heaps of other fish on the bait i was using as well :)

today I picked up a larger model at about 55cms or so drifting the front of the wonnie bubt wanted to go further upstream. drifted down from the foot bridge to the road bridges flickin at the pontoons when i get hit bigtime I think its a bream but its pulling drag at an alarming rate, drag was set to just over 1 kg. after a couple of mins ity throws the hooks only to attack the lure again and drop again after a min or so. when i get the lure back i see 1 of the owner hooks is bent out of shape. straightened it a bit but every hookup i got was lost probabley from the broken hook.

has anyone else had problems keeping fish on these blade things?

alot of the new blades these days are coming out with the double hook insted of trebles my opinion is get rid of them befor you use them replace them with owner trebles and a small split ring this has happened to me the first time i used a blade with the double hook set up the hooks pulled appart straightned and nearly pulled through i spoke to the guys at my local tackle shop and they said alot of people are saying the same thing so hopefully it will be changed to trebles soon

mick

Hi landbased

I had experienced the same thing except one of the barbs broke off in the mouth of a bream. I used it again for a while and was getting hits but some failed to stay hooked. I put it down to the barb on the back treble. I went and replaced them with new trebles and rings (managed to hook myself in the process) only problem is I haven't been back out to try it out. I like the blades have caught bream, whiting, flatties on them.

First change the spilt rings and and the trebles to owner and with my blades I normally take off the bottom hook and leave the rear ones and doesnt make a difference on the way it swims(thats what I think) and its still effective.

As Musty said, blades does not like snag(not you JORG if u read this). If u feel u got snagged, Dont force it but just lift the rod tip and pull the line off the guides and use the tip as a spring and let go of the line. This normally works for me as long I didnt force the trebles deeper to the snag(Not u JORG).

thanks for the replies guys. but it already has owner hooks (trebles) and owner rings i know this because i put them on :) and yer i did find out about the snags.

as far as the style of fishing i was flicking out and lifting the rod and letting it fall again for the bream, and the flatties was a smoother but quickretrieval.

I carry a lot of spare trebles and am always changing them on blades

Using a slower taper rod helps with keeping the trebles in the bream as often they are only liphooked and you need the rod to absorb the lunges

cool thanks for that, I am using quite a stiff carbon graphite rod but i also have a nice slow one that i like to use for whiting so i will give that a go next week :)