Cowan Creek On Sunday

King slayer

Hi Raiders,

Well, The Calamari Kid (aka Brett) and I hit Cowan creek on Sunday morning in the rain.

The mission was Jewie or nothing!

We had tried to get livies but failed the day before because of the rain. Went to a spot were livies had been prevalent according to scources (cheers pete!), and the sounder was promising. We managed only a couple of little livies and the soundings looked like some big predators were attacking from below, making the wouldbe livies too nervous to feed. Not all bad news.

I set out a small livie and not long after the rod bent over, slowly. As I wound up the fish had spat the bait, but since it was still kicking, back down she went. Not long after it hooked up. Here's the tragic part....

I was so excited to have something on since it's been a while between fish, so I wound way too fast and a very nice flattie came up at rocket speed! Broke the surface (yeah, I know you don't have to tell me) and shook the hook out. Would have been mid to high 60's. :1wallbash:

We had out some squid bait too but no takers there.

Headed off to Juno point for the tide change, for one hook up that wound up on the reef straight away. Also caught a little occy which was a nice addition to the limited bait supply.

Tried a few points on the way back down the creek for a few hits and misses which we put down to flatties.

Finally located some yakkas at the outrageously expensive cottage point cafe. I figured paying $35 for a pack of winnie blues, two pies and two small coffees was justification to use their jetty a while and load up on yakkas!

There was one more spot we wanted to hit on the way back. A nice sharp point with a good drop off. As we drifted in before anchoring bretts occy leg got hit hard and dropped, so we thought we had got the spot right at least.

Anchored up over the drop off and set out the baits

We had out live yakkas, squid and occy, also trying pillies at one point, and flicked placcies all over. Burley was consistently deployed as it had been all day.

I flicked a little 1/8 jig head with watermelon power minnow over to the shore to attempt a tailor or possibly flathead..maybe even jew! Did't know what hit me when a kingy took it! I was using 10lb braid, 10lb fluro leader and my 2-4kg flick stick which is normally just for squid and small fish fun.

The bugger had me sweating for a good 5-10 minutes as Brett diligently pulled up all four lines and anchor while reminding me to keep calm and untangling the delicate 10lb braid from the anchor line and two other lines he managed to sweep around during the start of the fight.

I'm not used to fightinh kings on such light gear but in the end and with much credit to Brett, my dear little outfit with (thankfully) a wise drag setting and some iron will to keep composed, We landed the bugger in the net first shot and I sat back panting for a while. :thumbup: Lots of fun and definitely the fight of the season for me.

Here she is

post-6713-1243834504_thumb.jpg

So we didn't get the jew and we got really wet. But it was great and even though the kingy was hardly a monster, it sure felt like one on the light gear!

Who said cowan creek has no fish? Not me.

Dave

Edited by King slayer

great effort on light gear :thumbup:

some massive kings call cowan at home at times. the system is full of juevenile fish but if you are patient and berley there is some great fishing to be had.

well done.

Nice session King Slayer..I don't think Cottage point can be beaten for baitfish and squid...it's certainly been a long kingfish season this year Dave and the way it's going hoodlums might show in Pittwater in big numbers soon...

Did you have a go at the point on the opposide to little jerusalem Dave?

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Nice session King Slayer..I don't think Cottage point can be beaten for baitfish and squid...it's certainly been a long kingfish season this year Dave and the way it's going hoodlums might show in Pittwater in big numbers soon...

Did you have a go at the point on the opposide to little jerusalem Dave?

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

We were in that vicinity, but I don't know the area well enough to say.

Brett might know. He has a map.

Cheers

great report

top effort on the king on 10lb gear

did you chase after it with the boat while fighting just wondering

didn't chase it but Brett pulled up the anchor so we could be free of lines for him to bust me off on. With a light line and drag I had no choice but to let him do what he wanted to, which was to circle around under the boat and dive frequently for the bottom. Since he stayed more or less under the boat there was no need to chase.