Baby Kingfish For Sale?

thereddragon

dont think rules apply for commercial fisherman.

They do but not to aquaculture fish. So I'd say they were farmed. Could you make out the label? It say product of Bal---- rest illegible.

Edited by billfisher

They do but not to aquaculture fish. So I'd say they were farmed. Could you make out the label? It say product of Bal---- rest illegible.

i meant the same rules as rec fishos....oops

Hey mate,

I have thought the same thing myself. A few months ago i was at eastwood and saw kingfish which were clearly undersized for sale.

Furious, i rang Fisheries to report the incident expressing my concern.

I was informed of the following:

- If the fish are caught from local waters, the size limit applies (65cm in NSW and 75cm for SA for example)

- If the fish are farmed or imported then the size limit does not apply

When speaking to the fisheries, they had informed me that they had heard of a few complaints about this shop selling undersized fish and were monitoring the sources of the fish, as they were unsure of the reliability of this business.

If you are unsure, give fisheries a call and give them a heads up. It could be an illegal sourcing of undersized fish.

Give them a buzz and they will keep it on their record and follow it up.

Andrew

What state or country is BA?

I think it may read, BABY KINGFISH,

I would guess that they are farmed Kingies, the tail that is visible on one

of the fish in that photo looks rather small, this is a characteristic of farmed

Kingies. They have no predators to avoid and no baitfish to chase, so

therefore they dont develop a large forked tail.

Cheers

its definatley farmed i heard from a guy at sydney fish markets a few weeks ago that they farm them down near wollongong and also overseas. I dont think even commercially they are aloud to target kingfish wasn't it banned those kingfish net thats y we're getting a rise in kingfish population over the last few years

Down at the fish markets in paddies EVRYTHING was undersized!! Flatties for sale at 20cm-ish, bream ranging from the length of my pinky to the length of my hand (no where near legal), whiting which averaged about 15cm, it was terrible. I have pics if anyone wants to see!!

With the whiting though almost every fish market I go to they are usually just undersize

Edited by breamzilla

It's really hard to educate people to only keep legal sized fish when they are able to buy them under-sized commercially. To me, that is a major flaw in our system.

Would nationwide size limits work? If we had them, we could put farm and import restrictions on minimum size for the species that occur naturally in Oz?

BTW, those kingies look a bit cloudy in the eye... I wouldn't buy them... but I'm a fresh fish snob! haha

It's really hard to educate people to only keep legal sized fish when they are able to buy them under-sized commercially. To me, that is a major flaw in our system.

Would nationwide size limits work? If we had them, we could put farm and import restrictions on minimum size for the species that occur naturally in Oz?

BTW, those kingies look a bit cloudy in the eye... I wouldn't buy them... but I'm a fresh fish snob! haha

Aquaculture takes pressure off our wild fisheries so I don't see the need to restrict it with unecessary measures like size limits.

was fishing today at botany and seen a boat with three chinamen, the gay caught a small bream and i was looking at him waiting to throw it back, never hapend :1badmood: who can we report stuf like that to,

and should I be writing down the boats rego number

I worked in the seafood industry for 5 years and yes it is legal to be selling Kingies at that size due to commercial fisherman being exempted from certain rules and regulations depending on where they were caught. Having said that, not many kingies for sale are wild caught about 90 percent are farmed down in South Australia and Qld.

They are mostly farmed fish or from other states, but i put this to you guys, what if i went out and bought some of these fish that are clearly undersized like Trevally, Kings, Whiting and wanted to use them for bait?? What if i did this and the fisheries came up to me and wanted to do me for illegal undersize fish??? What could one say to avoid a fine, you tell them the truth and will they believe you?????

I think this one has been looked at before and similar to the prawns where only bait prawns can be returned to the water same went for fish. Someone showed where it was written for prawns etc. Was designed that way so there is no chance of OS or interstate fish ( even when dead) transferring disease or parasites to local native population.

All third hand as I haven;t read it about fish but it was definately the case with prawns

Guess you would get done for pollution or littering if it wasn't a properly sourced bait?