Snapper A New Pb For Ray R

Ray R

Hi Raiders, Hutcho1 and I went out in search of some reddies today, headed out around Box Head very early and sounded our way up the coast, we found some good reefy, gravelly areas and decided one of these spots. This was a good choice as there were some fish, Hutcho scored a nice one first, a 54cm red, then he followed that up by a nice little 40 cm model so we new then this spot was a good one.

We kept the berley going and soon I was into one, relief as I had yet to catch one, 42cms and I was stoked.

Hutch got another and he was very pleased the we had finally found a nice spot after years of bashing up and down the strip.

Then It was my little outfit that started screaming line off, I grabbed it and new this was a nice red, it took alot of braid and then I saw my backing line I thought well this is it I'm gone but the backing held strong and I was relieved to finally put the brakes on atleast a little bit, managed to get some line back and I held my breath as the backing to braid knot came through the guides and was able to get a few wraps on braid back onto the spool.

So after another 5-6 minutes of slowly inching this thing closer to the boat we saw it was a beauty and Hutcho guided the net under it and we were over the moon with this capture as it was on my Rack Raider and Stradic 2500 combo, 6lb braid and 10lb FC Rock fluro leader.

We scored a couple more little reds and after catching some bakers and wrasse decided that we should head back in via the bream spot we found last week.

We berleyed up and found a few just legal entree' sized bream and I scored a nice flattie.

Then we called it a day and what a day it was , that is my biggest snapper I have caught and mate it is a good looking fish.

Now I will sign off here but look for Hutcho's reply as I am sure he will elaborate on the 50 kg stingray he caught and how I some how managed to half submerge myself over the edge of the boat and drop my Rack Raider over in the drink..

Gotta go now to a friends for a B-B-Q..

Cheers..

post-3371-1244274224_thumb.jpg

post-3371-1244274242_thumb.jpg

post-3371-1244274268_thumb.jpg

post-3371-1244274292_thumb.jpg

post-3371-1244274315_thumb.jpg

post-3371-1244274343_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ray R

well done Ray on a beautiful red :thumbup:

ive never caught a legal snapper before and its next on my wish list (after i crack my 50lb jewie :biggrin2: )

you guys are so close to shore as well, maybe i can sneak out there in my boat.

well done Ray!

Ge I headed out around 6ish this morning and just managed a few blackies...not that i am complaining but I think the "trouble n strife" would perfer reddies and I can't say I blame her.

Pat

Good looking fish for sure. A very nice snapper on bream gear there Ray R, great work :thumbup:

Also, magnificent red colouring on the snapper in that 1st picture.

Did you bring the catch to the BBQ? would have made a great feed :P

Mondo and fellow raiders,

Sorry about the late reply I was at the same BBQ (snapper fillets with ginger, chilli and garlic) and Black label bourbon. What Ray left out was absolutely the funniest thing I have ever seen fishing but to that later. During our hunt for the snapper I hooked up to the biggest animal I have ever had on the end of a line. After an epic half hour battle going around and around the boat I hauled in a huge stingray. This thing was massive we have called it for 50kg but it could have easily been bigger. We cut it loose and I now have a new back problem and great respect for my Diawa SOL 500 and Sakana 15kg rod.

As Ray explained after our snapper fish we headed back into Lobster Beach and caught the bream. Then Ray latched on to nice trev and finally bought him into the boat. Then it all happened in a flash. As he was attempting to free the fish he dropped his rod and reel straight over the side. As all good fisho's would do he instantly reached over to grab it, lost his balance and got completely stuck. His huge frame was half in and half out of the water, he was basically counter levered with the top half of his body under water. I immediately grabbed hold of his pants but he was starting to pull me in with him. Believe me he is no light weight. He was going no where when all of a sudden he realised breathing would be a good idea and fairdinkum he was thrashing around like a green marlin at the end of the gaff, arms going everwhere and gulping for air. Finally I got enough of his clothes and dragged him back into the boat. (did not help my back either). The funniest thing was he still had his hat, sunnies and wet smoke in his mouth after the incident. It is certainly one of those, you had to be there stories, but I nearly fainted laughing and I am still laughing telling this story. Luckily he didn't injure himself and we were lucky enough to get his rod back.

It was nearly as funny as the day he bite the head off a live whiting for a bet, but that's another story.

Thanks for a great day out and brand new story for the fire at Crescent.

Regards, Hutcho

Mondo and fellow raiders,

Sorry about the late reply I was at the same BBQ (snapper fillets with ginger, chilli and garlic) and Black label bourbon. What Ray left out was absolutely the funniest thing I have ever seen fishing but to that later. During our hunt for the snapper I hooked up to the biggest animal I have ever had on the end of a line. After an epic half hour battle going around and around the boat I hauled in a huge stingray. This thing was massive we have called it for 50kg but it could have easily been bigger. We cut it loose and I now have a new back problem and great respect for my Diawa SOL 500 and Sakana 15kg rod.

As Ray explained after our snapper fish we headed back into Lobster Beach and caught the bream. Then Ray latched on to nice trev and finally bought him into the boat. Then it all happened in a flash. As he was attempting to free the fish he dropped his rod and reel straight over the side. As all good fisho's would do he instantly reached over to grab it, lost his balance and got completely stuck. His huge frame was half in and half out of the water, he was basically counter levered with the top half of his body under water. I immediately grabbed hold of his pants but he was starting to pull me in with him. Believe me he is no light weight. He was going no where when all of a sudden he realised breathing would be a good idea and fairdinkum he was thrashing around like a green marlin at the end of the gaff, arms going everwhere and gulping for air. Finally I got enough of his clothes and dragged him back into the boat. (did not help my back either). The funniest thing was he still had his hat, sunnies and wet smoke in his mouth after the incident. It is certainly one of those, you had to be there stories, but I nearly fainted laughing and I am still laughing telling this story. Luckily he didn't injure himself and we were lucky enough to get his rod back.

It was nearly as funny as the day he bite the head off a live whiting for a bet, but that's another story.

Thanks for a great day out and brand new story for the fire at Crescent.

Regards, Hutcho

Hi Hutcho, mate here is the best of a bad bunch of pics of your huge stingray thingo,

Thanks for filing in the gaps from my post, still gotta laugh when I read it..

Cheers..

post-3371-1244354462_thumb.jpg