Fishermen Reeling After Court Fine

Fishermen reeling after court fine

Two Sydney men have been fined a total of $2,600 after pleading guilty to fishing within an exclusion zone of the Port Stephens Great Lakes Marine Park.

The two men were found in a fishing boat about 15 metres from a large yellow "no fishing" buoy near Fly Point at Nelson Bay.

The men were charged with having fishing gear in a sanctuary zone, supplying false names, having undersized fish and not having a fishing licence.

You would think that if you were 15 mtrs from the exclusion zone that you would learn to cast a bit further & stay outside it. :wacko:

But then again if they were keeping undersized fish & supplying false names then they might not have the capacity to cast that far! :thumbdown:

Good example set by the authorities I reckon.

Cheers,

Grant.

Fishing unlicensed within 15m of the exclusion marker with undersized fish, and then supplying false names. :mad3::mad3: $2600 will hurt the wallet, but I am surprised they didn't forfeit any gear.

Hodgey

thats what i believe in too

the ecosystem needs to be maintained so our children can fish too

otherwise theres nothing left

i love australia , theres fish u can eat from the oceans , why would u wanna ruin that

I don't understand why you'd keep undersized fish, there's not much meat on them anyway

You'd be surprised how many times I've seen people keep undersized fish, some smaller than the size of a palm.

But due to the rules of the forum, I dont mention them.

Its good to see fisheries doing their job. The guys they nabbed seemed dodgy and deserve all the punishment they receive.

I know people that used to keep under size fish cause they never really caught anything decent. After a few trips with me, their attitudes soon changed and they learnt not only to throw back the little ones, but keep our waterways clean.

The penalties are massive.

$2600! Far more severe than for everyday crimes like , say , drink driving or common assault.

I suspect that they put the penalties so high as a deterant because the chances of getting caught are very small.

We need more fisheries officers , plain and simple.

To monitor recreational and professional.

And also more education on the rules.

The penalties are massive.

$2600! Far more severe than for everyday crimes like , say , drink driving or common assault.

I suspect that they put the penalties so high as a deterant because the chances of getting caught are very small.

We need more fisheries officers , plain and simple.

To monitor recreational and professional.

And also more education on the rules.

Given that they were fishing in a green zone I'd say they weren't caught by fisheries inpectors but the MPA rangers (AKA the fun police). $1000 (at least) of that penalty would be for merely the act of fishing there.

As a keen and pretty green rock, beach & inshore fisho who gets around NSW a bit -

Agree with the fines for undersized fish - some people just shouldn't be allowed to participate in our great sport....

Fine for licences - well, I guess we've learned to accept "fishing receipt" fees as just another part of life. It's human nature to want to see others have to pay their share because the rest of us do. I got mine the first day they came out - and have only had to produce it 3 times since (actually twice at the nelson bay ramp near fly point - small world??)

But someone else hit the nail on the head there - most of the $$ in the fine would have come from the MPA. They're heaps better resourced to patrol "their" patch than fisheries because they get the green vote support. I'm sure I'm not alone when I say I enjoyed fishing some great spots in the Solitaries, Port Stephens & Batemans Bay areas for well over 20 years before the MPA came along and drew imaginary no fishing boundaries all over the place based on their dubious "scientific" evidence and green vote preference deals.

Anyway my third point (before the soap box bit) was fines issued for otherwise law abiding angling in an MPA sanctioned "no fishing" zone are completely unacceptable and should not be seen as anything but evil.

Yes, I made that point captnstabn - most of the penalty would have been for fishing inside the so called green zone and they would have been nabbed by the fun police (ie MPA rangers) and not Fisheries. So those calling for chains and irons are a bit off the mark. As to keeping a few undersized fish, well we should all obey the rules, but I think it is a minor offence from a fisheries management perspective. Keeping the same number of legal sized fish would probably have more impact as they would be of breeding size. A lot of small fish don't make it to breeding size given the high levels of predation in the marine environment.

Edited by billfisher

Gday Raiders,

Here is a more detailed item concerning this incident. IT should be noted that the men werent actually caught fishing in the sactury zone but were caught with fishing gear in the zone. Also they did have their fishing gear forieted.

Link to original story

http://www.mpa.nsw.gov.au/mr-5-june-09.html

News Release 5th June 2009

Court fines fishers for Marine Sanctuary breach

A Raymond Terrace court has ordered two fishermen who pleaded guilty to fishing in a marine sanctuary within the Port Stephens Great Lakes Marine Park earlier this year pay a total of $2651 in fines and costs.

The court heard that the men, 22-year-old Mohamad Fenej of Greenacre, and 28-year-old Walid Fenej of Yagoona, had been fishing in a marine park sanctuary adjacent to Fly Point, Nelson Bay. The area has been closed to all forms of fishing for over 25 years and is now part of the Port Stephens Great Lakes Marine Park.

Port Stephens Great Lakes Marine Park Manager Max Haste said the Fly Point – Corrie Island sanctuary was an area of significant environmental importance.

“It supports a unique range of fish and marine life, and within this area you cannot fish, destroy marine life, or even possess fishing gear. These restrictions are designed to protect marine life within the area, provide breeding stocks to help replenish other areas, as well as protect sensitive habitats and maintain biodiversity.

“It is also an important area for marine education due to the spectacular diversity and abundance of marine life and is considered to be the best shore dive in NSW.

“The fishermen were seen in a boat within the marine sanctuary only about 15 metres away from a large yellow buoy stating ‘Sanctuary Zone, No Fishing’. They pleaded guilty to possessing fishing gear in a marine park sanctuary; giving false names; having undersize fish and not having fishing licences. The men’s rods and esky were forfeited to the court and their illegal catch of snapper was also seized.”

Mr Haste recommended all fishers familiarise themselves with the marine park zones before going fishing and said zoning plan guides were available at numerous outlets including bait and tackle shops, tourist information centres, some caravan parks and even service stations in the region. He said the guides can also be viewed and downloaded from the Marine Parks Authority website on www.mpa.nsw.gov.au. He said that any information regarding illegal fishing in the region could be directed to the Port Stephens-Great Lakes Marine Park office on 02 4916 3970.

Media Contact: Tonia Liosatos

Cheers

Balmain Bob

• 1 month later...

They can't have been very good fisho's.

Have you seen the size of the bream that swim around at Fly point?

Nothing short of monsters.

And flighty... Ha! they will come and nibble your ear if you swim there.

They should have been arrested for not catching record fish there if nothing else.

But seriously, it's good to see turkeys getting caught and punished.

Cheers,

Jas.

Edited by peschi boi