First Time Going For Blackies

SimJ

After getting a bit sick of squidding and normal fishing I decided to try something Ive wanted to for a while... blackie fishing!

Had free 2 hours so got a mate and went to a spot in the harbour id seen people catch a few from before.

To be totally honest our expectations were pretty low, neither of us had ever tried properly before and we had no idea how to rig up, we only had one quill float and only one blackie hook... not good odds.

I collected some weed a while back from the beaches, it was very fresh a mix of cabbage and the grassy weed (not the stringy type). It was stupidly hard to keep it on the hook :mad3: .

We both agreed that if we even saw a down we were happy :1prop: .

I took about 20 minutes setting up my improvised version of a rig (id seen a pro do it once before a few months ago, mine was vaguely similar... i think).

I sat there for another 20 minutes watching my float bounce around without a single down :thumbdown: . Eventually my mate gave up and went back to bait fishing. I was just about to join him when I finally see my float bob under the water :biggrin2: , strike and he's on.

post-9568-1244558889_thumb.jpg only 30cm but im happy!

as soon as the first fish was caught my mate came back and copied my rig and was right back into it :thumbup: . A few minutes later I get another down and wack im on again this one went 33cm. unfortunately the second broke my only blackie hook and I had to switch to a yakka one. I had 2 more great hook ups both fish were much bigger and looked more of a bronze colour? It was my own stupid fault I lost the bigger fish using a 6ft boat rod, I now realise why blackie fishermen use such long rods, its really necessary.

post-9568-1244559663_thumb.jpg

Pretty stoked today, I know 2 fish in 2 hours isnt much but I was getting a down every time I cast towards the end and I didnt think id catch even one. Im already hooked and ill bring better gear and a longer rod next time!

Thanks a lot to Roberta and other blackie pros on the site who wrote articles on them.

Cheers,

Simmo

Edited by Hodgey

That's a good result for your 1st ever efforts at Blackie fishing Simmo.

Nice fish as well. Blackies are also called bronzies sometimes & they can vary a bit in colour when alive but all look the same when dead.

Well done.

Cheers,

Grant.

Gee, Simmo, you have the potential to be a blackie guru. Using a 6 ft rod on the first outing and two fish, incredible. Sometimes it took me hours to get a down and I am fishing almost everyweek. I must find the spot you fished. Good onya mate, believe me, you are hooked now.

Cheers,

Littledinghy

Good onya Simmo, your first try and you get a couple of nice fish,

that's the good thing about fishing , there are so many options and

styles of angling.

Great work mate for trying something different and succeeding..

Cheers..

Congratulations Simmo, good work on nailing your first Blackies!!!

Now you have experienced the DARK SIDE there will be NO turning back........it is usless trying to resist :ninja: .

May the float be with you........... :1prop:

Cheers,

Smitty...

Well done Simmo! :biggrin2:

I was going to blackfish this arvo around the Georges River except the tackle store ran out of weed when I got there :1badmood:

It's funny because there were many times when I tried to find weed with no luck, only to find out that I could buy it from the tackle store for $1 hehe