Boat Trailers

saltrix

I am looking for a new boat trailer for a 6m plate boat, it be would be a dual axle braked trailer capable of a long trip.

Does anyone have any recommendations or hooror stories about new trailers?

Also I was thinking about some rustproofing compound. Has anyone used a product called Xtroll?

I am looking for a new boat trailer for a 6m plate boat, it be would be a dual axle braked trailer capable of a long trip.

Does anyone have any recommendations or hooror stories about new trailers?

Also I was thinking about some rustproofing compound. Has anyone used a product called Xtroll?

I have a 7m plate boat and have recenly cut all my rollers off the trailer and replaced them with a series of V's, each V is stainless steel with 20mm hi density polyethelene strips screwed to them,and are the width of the trailer, the boat is supported along the keel and bottom/sides. its hard for me to explain but ill put some photos up, when driving the boat up as soon as the bow touches the V on the end of the trailer regardless if im way off centre and the wind or current is moving me away i then jus give it some power and it automatically self aligns and goes straight up the centre like a arrow, i launchn and retrieve my 7m boat single handed much easier than 2 blokes with a 5m, each V is set at the same angle of the hull in its corresponding point for ex the back V is 15d while the front is 45d,also the boat sits so snug on the trailer as the Vs act like a cradle and it is supported along the keel and both sides, so my point is have a look at this kind of system ill never own another trailer like it

I have a 7m plate boat and have recenly cut all my rollers off the trailer and replaced them with a series of V's, each V is stainless steel with 20mm hi density polyethelene strips screwed to them,and are the width of the trailer, the boat is supported along the keel and bottom/sides. its hard for me to explain but ill put some photos up, when driving the boat up as soon as the bow touches the V on the end of the trailer regardless if im way off centre and the wind or current is moving me away i then jus give it some power and it automatically self aligns and goes straight up the centre like a arrow, i launchn and retrieve my 7m boat single handed much easier than 2 blokes with a 5m, each V is set at the same angle of the hull in its corresponding point for ex the back V is 15d while the front is 45d,also the boat sits so snug on the trailer as the Vs act like a cradle and it is supported along the keel and both sides, so my point is have a look at this kind of system ill never own another trailer like it

Gday Saltrix

What is the weight of your current rig?

Am thinking a single heavy duty axel will be a lot less maintainance and expense long term.

The boat that the trailer is required for needs a dual axle overider braked trailer which as when last put on a weighbridge went a shade under 1200kg all up. I have found the dual axle arrangement to be a good setup which gives a safety margin and added stability when towing. I have found the brakes to be the maintenace problem but they are essential for this boat.

This is not my personal boat that I own which is just under the 750kg all up and uses a single axle unbraked trailer.

Thanks for your suggestion.

Regards

The boat that the trailer is required for needs a dual axle overider braked trailer which as when last put on a weighbridge went a shade under 1200kg all up. I have found the dual axle arrangement to be a good setup which gives a safety margin and added stability when towing. I have found the brakes to be the maintenace problem but they are essential for this boat.

This is not my personal boat that I own which is just under the 750kg all up and uses a single axle unbraked trailer.

Thanks for your suggestion.

Regards

That would be 1200 kg not including trailer, right? Plus the weight of dual axle the trailer say 450 kg some fuel and gear not far off 2 ton.

I use stainless steel brakes in my trailer ( 6.5 mt F/G combo well over 2 ton) , that’s S/S rotors, S/S calipers and just galvanized hubs ( hot dipped) and I run a flexi brake line tube so she won't corrode either . I have a sensa brake to activate all that, not a cheap set up but very low maintenance.

To be legal for the boat/trailer you are talking about you only need brakes on one axle and they only need to be override, cable or hydraulic. Cable work but nowhere near as well as hydraulic, if I was you I would go hydraulic.

I would go for skids on an alloy boat as they spread the weight and they won't dint the boat. The other plus, skids trailer is much better than rollers, lots more stable, of course rollers are much easier to launch.

I have skids on my trailer, much easier to retrieve than rollers because the skids guide the boat on and its impossible to hit the trailer. When I launch I back the 4WD until the back of it is in line with the water then apply the brakes she comes off about 1/2 a mt to a 1 mt, someone on the boat starts the opti and she is off. all up time about 2 minutes if that . Retrieving , someone backs the 4WD until the towbar ball is in line with the water and I power on until she hits the winch roller all up time less than 2 minutes.

Gal trailers are the cheapest option, I have an alloy. If you are in Sydney go to trailer city and buy one direct. I would use LED lights on any boat trailer and alloy wheels but gal wheels are ok too.

i think you are referring to something like mine:)

post-5064-1245121814_thumb.jpg