I Caught The Bait...

jewgal

This is my first post so please be kind.

I have been living in Sydney for a few months now and have learned a lot from this site. I want to catch a jewfish. like all girls i love jewels. anyway, based on the reports and articles on this site i decided to buy some squid jigs and have a go at catching some fresh squid for bait.

here is the result.

post-10879-1246021148_thumb.jpg

the hood of the big one was about 30cm long and really fat!

so now all i have to do is catch my first jewy. any tips?

jewgal.

Hey there jewgal - Welcome to the site :1welcomeani:

There is heaps of info and friendly fisher-folk on this site as you have probably seen already.

Catching Jews:

First of all - freeze those squid in snaplock bags and dont let any fresh water near them. Try to squeeze all the air out of the bags before sealing.

Next, read the posts about fishing for jewfish through the 'search' tab/facility at the top left of the page.

Read up and decide on a spot to try.

What rod, reel and line are you using?

There is also heaps if info on rig/hook setups to use on this site keeping in mind that you can catch a jew from the beach or river system.

Edited by tan the fisherman

One tip is that the sooner you send it out, the more chance you've got at getting a hookup.Cos it is fresh and colourful.Other than that you could always jump in my boat!!!

Welcome Jewgal :1welcomeani:

You know the right way to start by catching good quality bait. What area are you in... while you may not be given exact locations (you might get a generous PM... it's happened before), there'll be plenty of guidance to some good general locations, times and conditions.

Make sure we get to see your Jewy when you catch it.

Cheers, Slinky

:1welcomeani: Jewgal, congrats on your squid catching, your on your way to a jew with that for bait,

keep checking the site as there is always plenty of info here and heaps of jew chasing Raiders from

whom you can learn..

Cheers..

Hi Jewgal,

Welcome to fishraider. I reckon there's nothing better than beginners luck, some people just have the touch. Like my daughter who reguarly outfishes everyone.

My tip is you will probably score a jewy if you take on board the advice on this site.

Congrats and good luck.

Regards, Hutcho

Welcome Jewgal :1welcomeani: ....firstly can I say that you are one of the prettiest raider Ive seen in a long while, some of the heads in here go better on a hook :074::074: . Well done on catching you first squid, if you cant convert them into a jew then you could always batter em up and eat them. But good luck on your next challenge. :thumbup:

:1welcomeani: to the site jewgal.

Good luck in your Jewie quest.

My wife would always be into me because I wouldn't let her eat my squid. Live or fresh they are a top jew bait. Well done on finding the squid.

Cheers,

Grant.

Welcome Jewgal :1welcomeani:

You know the right way to start by catching good quality bait. What area are you in... while you may not be given exact locations (you might get a generous PM... it's happened before), there'll be plenty of guidance to some good general locations, times and conditions.

Make sure we get to see your Jewy when you catch it.

Cheers, Slinky

what's a PM? I live in north sydney and usually go to the harbour but i'd be happy to make the trip to the beaches hawkesbury, botany or port hacking. I only have a kayak atm so most of my fishing is landbased, though i've seen some guys with pretty good fishing setups on their yaks (mine isn't so well setup).

thanks to everyone for the warm welcome and advice.

Hopefully I can put up another report soon.

cheers,

jewgal.

what's a PM? I live in north sydney and usually go to the harbour but i'd be happy to make the trip to the beaches hawkesbury, botany or port hacking. I only have a kayak atm so most of my fishing is landbased, though i've seen some guys with pretty good fishing setups on their yaks (mine isn't so well setup).

cheers,

jewgal.

if you got a yak i'd get out there and try the plastics first lots of people are getting jewies on them and good ones too keep the squid for eating :1fishing1:

cheers,

jewgal.

Hey jewgal im only very new to this site but i think a PM is a personal message, just click on anyone's name and there profile will pop up. Once there you can check out previous reports,pics and send messages

:1welcomeani: Nice to have you aboard Jewgal,

Nice calamari. That's one thing I have no problem catching.

Loads of reading to do. I recommend paying particular attention to tides, moon phases and barometric pressure. While I don't mind fishing til sunrise, it's more effective picking out a likely 2 or 3 hour window where everything is in your favour. From all I've learnt here I've seen an increase in hook ups on what I think are Jew. I'm still yet to get one to the shore though.

I fish the Northern Beaches. Normally somewhere between Long Reef and North Narrabeen, also occasionally Middle Harbour landbased if there aren't 146 people at my fav spots.

Squid or live yellowtail or live or slab tailor are my weapons of choice.

PM me if you want to share a trip to any of these.

Cam

Welcome Jewgal :1welcomeani: ....firstly can I say that you are one of the prettiest raider Ive seen in a long while, some of the heads in here go better on a hook :074::074: . Well done on catching you first squid, if you cant convert them into a jew then you could always batter em up and eat them. But good luck on your next challenge. :thumbup:

c'mon mate... i reckon im an alright looking chap.