Jigging Browns

R_Zee

Hey guys,

been jigging deeper water for albacore and yellowfin..

Jigged around the bottom of browns yesterday arvo between tides and picked up this blue eye.

Went 25lb on the bogas..

The jig of choice was a Mejiyume SL 400gm, on a daiwa saltiga S-Extreme 600.

Needless to say it took every breath of me to land it.

Fought well near the bottom, can't wait to get out and do it again.

Tony

post-2217-1246264158_thumb.jpg

post-2217-1246264173_thumb.jpg

post-2217-1246264187_thumb.jpg

Well done Tony.....

Thats got to be a 1st....jigging browns....

a little birdy told me you jigged a nice fish, you get full points for being able to pull that fish up from the bottom....Well done....

Also.....

nice seeing a post from you again, if only you post half the fish you catch... people will freak out

Thanks for the replies guys.

The gear i used enabled me to feel the bite and every head shake.

The Saltiga is loaded with 50lb bionic braid. i think i had 50-100m of line on the spool when it hit bottom.

I got over 30 albies on jigs in the last month including a trip to Bermi 3 weeks ago.

I only managed 1 yellowfin this year, i'd say around 30kg, 150m deep fishing a charter boat at Bermi.

Tony

post-2217-1246277822_thumb.jpg

Showzas, Jigging 400Meters! mate, you deserve a medal. Dare I ask, how long does it take for your line to hit the bottom?, and what is the technique? If you dont get a hit in the first 100M do you drop again? or retreive all the way to the surface?

Well done.

WHAT!!!!!!

No way, that is incredible.

Well done, now that is what i call extreme, extreme fishing.

Was there any current, did you use a paternoster rig or did you just drop the 400g jig on its own.

Edited by frankp

Well done on some great fish tony.... as well as exploring some new techniques in area's there are not often used!!!! That's how new innovations happen!

Tight lines..... all the way from 400m!!!!

:1fishing1:

thanks guys.

I have been thinking about doing it for a while.

When i jigged Samson fish in WA with Al Bevan, he told me about deeper reef systems where they jig hapukas regularly in water up to 250m deep. I have caught a hapuka at browns once on bait. I've always wanted to jig browns and have tried a few times before by tying 2 x 400gm jig together and sending them to the bottom with no success of hitting bottom due to wind and current.

On sunday we started a cube trail a couple of miles east of the mountain at midday. after 2 hours of cubing i realised that we only drifted a few hundred meters. We were drifting north east with the slight westerly.

there was absolutely no current.

We went for a troll for a couple of hours and i was keen to have a jig as i knew it was the right day to hit bottom, and i knew a 400gm jig will do the job.

i reversed the boat every now and then to keep the line as vertical as possible.

i think it took something between 3-5 minutes to hit bottom - i did not use any additional weight or bait, i am a purist when it comes to jigging :)

i didnt jig too quick, 20m up then back to the bottom.

The fish had a go twice before it hooked up. People who bottom bash browns with braid will tell you that you feel EVERYTHING.

I must say i was very nervous about losing the fish half way up ... i would have cried!

I am rigging up an outfit for my next personal challenge... hopefully it will come to plan..

Tony

Edited by R_Zee

thanks guys.

I have been thinking about doing it for a while.

When i jigged Samson fish in WA with Al Bevan, he told me about deeper reef systems where they jig hapukas regularly in water up to 250m deep. I have caught a hapuka at browns once on bait. I've always wanted to jig browns and have tried a few times before by tying 2 x 400gm jig together and sending them to the bottom with no success of hitting bottom due to wind and current.

On sunday we started a cube trail a couple of miles east of the mountain at midday. after 2 hours of cubing i realised that we only drifted a few hundred meters. We were drifting north east with the slight westerly.

there was absolutely no current.

We went for a troll for a couple of hours and i was keen to have a jig as i knew it was the right day to hit bottom, and i knew a 400gm jig will do the job.

i reversed the boat every now and then to keep the line as vertical as possible.

i think it took something between 3-5 minutes to hit bottom - i did not use any additional weight or bait, i am a purist when it comes to jigging :)

i didnt jig too quick, 20m up then back to the bottom.

The fish had a go twice before it hooked up. People who bottom bash browns with braid will tell you that you feel EVERYTHING.

I must say i was very nervous about losing the fish half way up ... i would have cried!

I am rigging up an outfit for my next personal challenge... hopefully it will come to plan..

Tony

Tsk Tsk Tsk

No mention of the skipper who kept the boat in perfect position for your line to follow the jig straight down??? come on Tony.....share some of the credit around :) :)

Edited by Yabbiehunter

the skipper of Donko brothers sounded the fish and he drove away from the jem fish to avoid getting bitten off..

he then spotted a blue eye which appeared the be in a feeding mode.. its mouth was wide open and it was standing on its tail looking up..

The drift was positioned so that the jig will hit the fish square in the mouth and it did... and then all i had to do is wind :1prop:

the skipper of Donko brothers sounded the fish and he drove away from the jem fish to avoid getting bitten off..

he then spotted a blue eye which appeared the be in a feeding mode.. its mouth was wide open and it was standing on its tail looking up..

The drift was positioned so that the jig will hit the fish square in the mouth and it did... and then all i had to do is wind :1prop:

That is some Incredible skipper work, firstly avoiding the gem fish, finding the blue eye and making the drift perfect.... must of been kelvin.... haha

well done boys on the catch....

josh

I too have jigged Browns I must admit ,twice !

I nearly killed me , but the drift was about 2knts & the line 80lb !

I think that 30lb and a 500g slim profile lumo will do it next time!

I can get there with a reasonable TLD 30 /Saltiga EXP 6500 both have+ 600m

of line capacity.