Browns 29.6.09

mikeh191

Got a call from a mate at 11.30am monday asking if I want to come out on his boat chasing tuna at browns [silly question],I said want time and he said 12.30pm so I raced home got my tiagra 50w and tackle and I was there. We left the boat ramp by 1.00pm to get some live bait, half an hour later we had enough so off we went with a 10 knot westerly behind us. 75 minutes later we were there and with a nice show on the sounder started bottom bouncing, first drop and up comes 3 gemmies :biggrin2: . Second drop and 1 nice blue eye hits the deck :thumbup: , had 2 more drops but no luck so we decided to try our luck with the tuna.We started cubing at 3.40pm and the plan was to drift over browns by sunset which worked a treat, 40 minutes later and my tiagra 50w gets a hit and in comes the smallest albacore I had ever seen about 2 kg. There was talk on the radio from other boats hooking up to albys and fin so we were confident.10 minutes after the first alby my tiagra go's off again this time it's a 6kg alby from then on we got a hot bite of albacore from 5 to 8 kg range no yellow fin :yahoo: . As I was fighting another alby and had it close to the boat it just screamed off and I said bet a shark is chasing it :thumbdown: ,sure enough when I get it up there a mako trying to get it and he did but only it's tail. Next a 80lb wire trace went out to catch the mako but he bit threw it and he was gone.We kept on cubing but the albys had been scared off but in the next hour or so 2 or 3 more makos turned up but we only managed to catch a little one of about 60kg. Kept on cubing for another half an hour but with no luck, then made it back to the boat ramp at 9.20pm. All in all a great arvo session. Will download photos soon.

Edited by FISHBONES

Got a call from a mate at 11.30am monday asking if I want to come out on his boat chasing tuna at browns [silly question],I said want time and he said 12.30pm so I raced home got my tiagra 50w and tackle and I was there. We left the boat ramp by 1.00pm to get some live bait, half an hour later we had enough so off we went with a 10 knot westerly behind us. 75 minutes later we were there and with a nice show on the sounder started bottom bouncing, first drop and up comes 3 gemmies :biggrin2: . Second drop and 1 nice blue eye hits the deck :thumbup: , had 2 more drops but no luck so we decided to try our luck with the tuna.We started cubing at 3.40pm and the plan was to drift over browns by sunset which worked a treat, 40 minutes later and my tiagra 50w gets a hit and in comes the smallest albacore I had ever seen about 2 kg. There was talk on the radio from other boats hooking up to albys and fin so we were confident.10 minutes after the first alby my tiagra go's off again this time it's a 6kg alby from then on we got a hot bite of albacore from 5 to 8 kg range no yellow fin :yahoo: . As I was fighting another alby and had it close to the boat it just screamed off and I said bet a shark is chasing it :thumbdown: ,sure enough when I get it up there a mako trying to get it and he did but only it's tail. Next a 80lb wire trace went out to catch the mako but he bit threw it and he was gone.We kept on cubing but the albys had been scared off but in the next hour or so 2 or 3 more makos turned up but we only managed to catch a little one of about 60kg. Kept on cubing for another half an hour but with no luck, then made it back to the boat ramp at 9.20pm. All in all a great arvo session. Will download photos soon.

nice fish mate!, sounds like an action packed day!did the mako put on a good show?

alex