Back Onto Blackies

arpie

Hi all

Getting a bit stir crazy - been a bit windy & cold here lately, so haven't really been out yet, other than trying to find some weed on the weekend! They threatened rain for Tues, but, so often, they get it wrong for Forster, so I took a punt & went out anyway!!

Wrong choice, as I was to find out soon! I was getting my yak ready, when a young bloke turned up in a Hobie SPORT - from Canberra! Michael was keen to hit the water, never having fished Forster before. He is here for 2 weeks of fishing.

I took him up to K Spot & altho I had one hit from a bream going for a popper, no hookups on anything! :1badmood: I even tried for some blackies - as I'd seen about 10 thumpers under a jetty! But they weren't taking anything either!

The rain came down lightly, on & off, so it wasn't too bad at the start ....... at least I had a raincoat!! :1prop: Michael didn't! :( Then it got heavier & more persistent! As I gradually lost feeling in my fingers & toes, I called it a day & both Michael & I headed back to shore, wet & disappointed.

The plan was to go out most days & try for as many species as we can.

So, after such a horrible day yesterday, it could only get better today!!!

I headed out into the lake this morning, hoping, at least, to get a couple of blackies. I found a small bit of weed & some cabbage around the leases & put it to the test. Got one nice one & a few hits, so was heading back to the ute, when I crossed the 'flats' & thought I'd toss a PX45 out ...... resulting in 3 bream in a row!! :thumbup::yahoo: They were only small, so went back immediately, not even bothering to take a pic!

On the way back, one of the Oyster Shack guys asked if I had 'dinner' & told him I only had the one & would be putting him back if I didn't get any more!!

THen, as I approached the Breck Channel, I tossed this scungy bit of weed out & blow me down if I don't catch a nice blackie! Put a new bit on & :1yikes: I get another one!! This one mid 30's!

After that, I pulled in a mixture of small & big ones - then, I see Michael heading towards me ..... that changed my mind about heading home! Who needs lunch anyway! He was keen to try for blackies .... but his float was back in the car! He went back to get it, whilst I landed 3 more blackies, the biggest was 40cm! He put up a good fight & didn't want to be landed.

I set up Michael's Rack Raider rod as an interim blackie rod & on his 2nd cast, he had a terrific 'down' & was amazed at the strength of the fight in the fish ...... then it got off! :mad3: Ne'er mind, he was on again soon after. :biggrin2:

post-2231-1247047506_thumb.jpg

I was adjusting his rod, when my rod went 'off', so I handed it to him, to land a high 30's, heavy fighting fish. He was having so much fun!

Then the bites slowed down quite a bit, so we called it a day & headed home

We kept 8 fish all up, the biggest was 40cm & a couple were incredibly fat (we probably landed about 20 in total.) I gave Michael 4 & kept 4.

post-2231-1247047544_thumb.jpg

Cheerio for now

Roberta

We had so much fun, we reckon we'll try it again tomorrow!

Well done on the blackfish Roberta, that was terrific fishing getting onto so many good size blackfish like those in a session.... Bet you are looking forward to Stevie Roosterman coming up and having a few sessions with you during the holidays......

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Thanks guys! I had been disappointed in my outing until I stopped on that last bend!! (Plus it did rain again briefly & I was thinking .....NOT AGAIN!!)

Many thanks for that Steve - they were not taking the cabbage at all today or the bubble weed I found last week. The only green weed I found today was about 2-3" long, so not long! :wacko: Michael is a quick learner & picked up 'putting it on' very quickly ..... most folk find that the most difficult part! So it'll be great having some more to play with! :1prop: He is fun to fish with. Can't wait till he gets a 40cm+ one! :1yikes:

I'd love to fish with Steve again, Byron - the last time was when we had the blackfish social up here a few years ago! I know my brother Sails gets together with him on occasion!

Cheerio

Roberta

Hi Glenn

Get the boat out tomorrow afternoon from about lunch! Launch at Little St & You'll see us in the channel! I will try & get some more of the fresh weed ..... as there wasn't much there! But, you only need a tiny bit on the hook! I will have some bubble weed & cabbage too.

Cheerio

Roberta

Time for the smoker to get a run! You have great fun in Forster with all of us 'Blow Ins' Roberta... it's great to see someone so happy to share their knowledge and passion with us visitors. Congrats on a great session (not the one with the frozen extremities :biggrin2: )

Cheers, Slinky

Hi Roberta, nice blackies you and your friend scored, will they become smoked fish pie?.

Bet it's good to be paddling around your own backyard again..

Cheers...

....have yu tried targeting them with blades?......

hehe I don't have much luck with blades ..... yet!! My best result so far has been a guy walking across Forster Bridge!!! I was in the yak & cast towards the pylons, not realising how FAR they go .... I think a gust of wind caught it & blew it upwards, hooking the pedestrian!! :1yikes:

Apart from that, I have lost one to a big flattie in the Estuary near SWR. Our lake is so shallow here - where do you catch them on blades? I've caught them on sps and hbs (chubby.)

....You have great fun in Forster with all of us 'Blow Ins' Roberta......

:biggrin2: Oh dear, my secret is out - I really enjoy getting people into blackies! It is nowhere near as difficult as some think! Once your gear is set up, easy peasy. I was pleased that Michael hooked a couple on his first outing, altho not quite legal. I was impressed that the young bloke had the patience to try it!

....will they become smoked fish pie?....

That would be a definite, Ray! :) Plus I've got a list of buddies on my 'fish list' who want fresh fish too :1prop: Yep - it is good to be back in my own back yard - no longer the newbie (like when up the coast, where every spot was new to me!)

Roberta

Edited by Roberta

Greetings Roberta Oh Queen of the Dark Art,

Nice to see that a little bit of trying weather does not put you off chasing fish.

To all other raiders if you are ever in Forster, you can do no better than hook up with Roberta for a fishing session. She is as generous with her time, information, bait. locations, etc. as they come.

I will see you next time I am in Forster.

Flanman

hmmmm Flanman!! :blush::blush: I am embarrassed!! I hope you have been getting into some good fish down there as well, Alex!!!! Look forward to hitting the rocks (you know where) next time you are up - you won't recognise Burgess Beach ..... it is all GORN!! My neighbour got absolutely HEAPS when the seas were rough whilst we were away!

......with the blades, did you get much of a run from the pedestrian?.....

he did, actually, Chris! He looked like the Minister of Funny Walks there for a while, till he worked out why he couldn't continue walking!!! Being French, he couldn't understand me & I couldn't understand him, but he tossed the lure back, so it wasn't all bad! :biggrin2:

Sadly, it was a case of 'you should have been there yesterday ......' so I was glad when Janet rang me before she headed out with Glenn/Chopper75 and infant James today!!! I advised against a trip out today!

Bummer!!! The wind was howling & the fish weren't biting (for me anyway!) I got a nice blackie on my 2nd cast & thought all was good! Little did I know that was the last fish I was to land for the day! :ranting2: I also missed out meeting up with Michael, who was having fun being busted off by bream in the leases!! That was 'sorta good'!!!

Ne'er mind, us blackie fishos are a tough lot ..... I'll have a rest day tomorrow & then hopefully head out again with Michael at Tuncurry on Sat! He'll be sick of me by the time he heads home to Canberra in 10 days time!!!

Till next time

Cheerio

Roberta

Edited by Roberta

Hi Steve

In the yak, long rods (any longer than 7ft approx) can get very annoying, so I just use the good Jarvis Walker Black Queen ..... been around for donkey's years! They are solid fibreglass & bend like a pretzel! I think they are about 6ft (4ft or less when bent in half with a fish on! :) ) They only cost about $40 too, so won't break the bank! One guy I know even uses his for tossing unweighted small sps as it flexes like a fly rod. Hmmmmmm, I may even put my fly line on it & try that one day :1yikes:, seeing as how I busted my fav fly rod whilst we were away !!! :ranting2:

Any rod will do tho - Michael was doing fine with his Rack Raider :1prop:

Cheerio

Roberta