Our First Marlin

moe

Hi fish raiders,

Wednesday the 15th.

Left rose bay at 6:30 heading towards browns mountian. Started trolling at the shelf towards browns, picked up a striped tuna roughly 3KG. Arrived at browns at 8:30 am and started to cube for yellowfin. As we were cubing we were bottom bashing and picked up 2 nice sized blue eyes 11KG each and 3 Gen fish. at about 12 we caught an albacore. around about 3:00 pm decided to put the striped tuna under a baloon. we were still cubing, at about 5:30 the 24 went off slowly with the whole striped tuna as bait, my mate paul thought it was a shark the way it took the bait. so he gave it some line then set the hook. At the back of the boat something went flying out of the water and we realised it was a Marlin. about half an hour into the fight the yellowfin decided to turn up on our trail. while my mate paul was fighting the marlin i decided to feed the yellowfin and i wasn't allowed to put the line in. finally after a hard 45 minute fight we had the fish aside the boat. since we havn't got experience we failed to gaf it. but in the end we got it aboard. headed back for long journey home.

post-8089-1247741182_thumb.jpg

post-8089-1247740855_thumb.gif

Please help, is this a blue or striped marlin? since its my first marlin and estimated weight since we had no scale.

post-8089-1247740583_thumb.gif

Congratulations on your first marlin mate. Nerves, adrenalin, inexperience: a whole swag of things playing against you for your first gaff shot. The end result is what's important...and there's the photos. Well done! :thumbup:

Hi fish raiders,

Wednesday the 15th.

Left rose bay at 6:30 heading towards browns mountian. Started trolling at the shelf towards browns, picked up a striped tuna roughly 3KG. Arrived at browns at 8:30 am and started to cube for yellowfin. As we were cubing we were bottom bashing and picked up 2 nice sized blue eyes 11KG each and 3 Gen fish. at about 12 we caught an albacore. around about 3:00 pm decided to put the striped tuna under a baloon. we were still cubing, at about 5:30 the 24 went off slowly with the whole striped tuna as bait, my mate paul thought it was a shark the way it took the bait. so he gave it some line then set the hook. At the back of the boat something went flying out of the water and we realised it was a Marlin. about half an hour into the fight the yellowfin decided to turn up on our trail. while my mate paul was fighting the marlin i decided to feed the yellowfin and i wasn't allowed to put the line in. finally after a hard 45 minute fight we had the fish aside the boat. since we havn't got experience we failed to gaf it. but in the end we got it aboard. headed back for long journey home.

post-8089-1247741182_thumb.jpg

post-8089-1247740855_thumb.gif

Please help, is this a blue or striped marlin? since its my first marlin and estimated weight since we had no scale.

Gday Moe.

Great catch for a days fishing. Awesome marlin. Very unexpected at this time of year. Very nice rig also. Go the Shark cat. Did you get into the fin?

Tight lines Dinnerbell.