Clifton Gdns - Lets All Show Some Respect For The Place

kiwineil

Hi all

Was down at Clifton Gardens sat morning near hi tide so around midmorning. Pretty busy as it always is.

Wanted to make the following observations and a plea as not just a sometime fisho but as the father of a couple of little kids, and recognising that as fishermen/women we share facilites like the wharf with the nonfishing public including families with little kids and pets.

Bottom line is i was embarrassed to be there with a fishing line in hand. Two reasons:

1. the behaviour of some of the people fishing was abominable. Loud swearing, cursing, fishing into a very well signposted no fishing netted swimming area etc. Im no prude but you could see the disapproval etched into the faces of people walking around. Lets remember little kids love to see if anyone is catching anything and in some ways are the next generation of fisherman. I saw several grps of families get halfway up the wharf with kidz in tow, hear and see the poor behaviour and obscenities and turn around.

2. The wharf was a pigsty, and for kids, potentially dangerous with discarded hooks, discarded bait (piles of festering prawn heads) which in some cases had been walked on and mashed into the concrete, plastic bags, piles of newspaper, and in one case a handline, with baited hook, left lying unattended in the middle of the wharf. Imagine if a kid or dog had got hold of that.

So heres my request to the minority on that day but more broadly to the fishraider community.

Lets remember we share these beautiful spots with the general public. The impression we leave whether by our behaviour or the manner in which we leave the places we visit matters, and even it doesnt, surely simple respect for the environment we are lucky enough to enjoy dictates we keep it a reasonably tidy and clean up after ourselves?

For what its worth I just packed up and went somewhere away from the noise and general unpleasantness and Im not sure I'll be back to CG to fish anytime soon. Im hoping that others share my dismay and that at the very least these thoughts prompt all of us to be a little more diligent in cleaning up and making our place of recreation enjoyable and safer for the next person to come along after us, fisherperson or not.

Cheers - and hope this doesnt come across as a rant cos its not intended to be.

I agree. I mean come on it takes about an extra 5 mins to pick up your rubbish, Throw old gear & Newpapers & Stuff in the bin, And throw your old bait in the water.

Some people are just too lazy :ranting2::thumbdown:

Edited by cut_loose

If only everyone had the same atttitude.

Everytime I fish somewhere landbased I have rubbish bags in my tackle bag and I always fill them with someone elses rubbish and leave the place celaner then when I got there.

I agree aswell, i myself have witnessed people littering on the wharf, just making it look terrible, and like you said, prawns laying everywhere, and then i also sometimes may see people throwing cans of beer into the water as if its no big deal, but it just ruins the whole waterway, and it disgusts me to see such nice things, being ruined by ignorant people that dont care.

-Luke

Edited by Luke1

Couldnt agree more with what you have outlined.

That area is visited by 100 s of people per day and im sure the place does not ever get a rest from people wishing to land a fish.

The area is to be enjoyed by fishos and non fishos and if this unrulely behaviour carries on, im sure the authorities will have no hesitation with enforcing the law and it would not suprise me if the area becomes a no fishing area.

For those abusing this great site , take a good look at yourselves and grow up.

All rubbish should be cleaned up and control the gutter language.

Its this moron minority which will stuff it up for the ones who do the right thing.

Twin 1

The sentiments are great raiders but I reckon we need to do more. Especially at known rubbish spots.

I have been there and have seen this disgraceful behaviour first hand at CG.

Im the type of bloke that has a go at these d!ckheads, not to antagonise but more to rectify/correct the behaviour - like I would educate my 2.5 y/o boy, by example.

I once saw 3 blokes, 1 older than me and two younger, pack up and leave the wharf leaving several pieces of rubbish behind. Once I realised they werent going to collect their rubbish, I got in there and picked it all up in front of them.

"Hey mate - dont forget your stuff!" - looking at them with a smile.

The sheer audacity usually embarrasses them into action.

I put it all in one of my spare plastic bags, gave it to them and asked them to put it in the bin on their way out. I copped some abuse and was told to f*ck off.

Then I up'd the anty. I them told them that I was an off-duty Parks & Wildlife Officer & I'll call my superintendent - they sh!t themselves apologised and cleaned up more than what was theirs.

Ok Ok - I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS FOR ALL. I had a few beers in me and was sick of the crap these idiots were pulling!

So - if we all just advise the offenders in a polite and non-confrontational way we have the chance of educating the morons that give us all a bad name.

At Bobbin Head - where the bins are very close to the fishing - I have often asked people to collect their own rubbish - something like "C'mon mate dont leave all this sh!t for us" said whilst picking the rubbish up, usually spurs them into guilt ridden corrective behaviour.

If this strategy is not for you - then ok - no worries.

I dont advise or advocate this strategy for everyone - its just what I do.

I collect the rubbish of others where I am fishing but I also believe I should educate the offenders if possible - of course, with self-preservation always top of mind.

Edited by tan the fisherman

Clifton Gardens is such a beautiful family orientate spot, and it is ashame to see people treating it this way.

We have one of our terrific socials at this spot and I must say congrats to all raiders who attend, apart from seeing us all set up at the site, when we leave people would never know that we had been there. We seem to be able to clean away not only our rubbish from the day, but lots of rubbish from other people as well.

It is not only bad for the environment, unsafe for youngster but also can be dangerous on the wildlife as well.

Stewy has had to perform surgery on a bird that had a hook through one of its feet and the line wrapped around its poor legs. Luckily once it was remove the little bird was able to fly away and fend for itself.

As others have stated it only takes a few minutes to pick up your rubbish and put it in the bin (there are plenty of those around CG).

Just my 2 cents worth

Cheers

Mrs Flightmanager

I've been at CG a fair bit lately trying to improve my fishing, it's also a fairly convenient place to get to.

- rubbish, not too bad but around which is silly with the bins that are available. What I've found is snags quite close to the wharf (hanging off it in fact) that were easy to retrieve - once of course it's totally ruined my set up!

- language, not just the foul variety but unnecessarily loud with a healthy dose of racism, sexism, etc.

- bright lighting at night, i.e. fixed lamps running all the time

- music playing

- fires being lit

I think school holidays might be a factor.

Have to say nobody's been rude to me, at times even a friendly "g'day" but what frustrates me is 1) I just like a quiet time when fishing and 2) dont know much about fishing, but I can't imagine all the light and noise is helping ...? I had hoped the lamps might help with the squid! Hate to sound like a kill-joy.

I've just moved on, down to the Spit Bridge as I dont know any where else. Quiet and alone down there so far but my luck doesn't change :1prop:

Edited by Gee

Rubbish......... the amount of rubbish i have picked up (others rubbish) at ledges up and down the coast is a disgrace. Dont hold back if you see these clowns leaving their crap about, have a go at them. You dont need to be confrotational or agro, just mention it.

Rubbish in spots like national parks is a major factor in management bodies restricting our activities. They know how to keep the areas clean, they keep us out. And everyone says " oh no I dont litter". Someone is and it is up to us to rectify the problem.

im with u all the way 100 percent on this topic. i have fish many early mornings at clifton and in some cases getting there as early as 4 am in hope of some squid, at this time of the morning it is still dark and it is impossible to seen what you may be stepping on. i have noticed left over bags of pillies, rubbish, chicken mince, hooks, line, sinkers, beer bottles and have even found small fishing knifes. the wharf is there for everyone to use and respect.

:mad3: if you can make the effort to make the messs, you may aswell make the effort to clean it up.

You used to be able to fish from any wharf in the harbour....The reason the "NO FISHING" signs went up was because of all the rubbish left behind. Do people want bans on all harbour landbased fishing? it could be coming if this crap continues.

Nicely put kiwineil - I am sure your sentiments are embraced by the fishraider community - though not entirely sure about some members of the fishing community.

Posts like this go someway to helping foster the right attitude though - goodonya :thumbup:

John

all .. thanks for the thoughts and the responses ... im unsurprised that fellow raiders (and im only a newbie so overstated myself here a touch!) feel the same way ....

i think the answers are

1. lead by example - so visibly clean up etc ...

2. clean up after others - ie the embarrassment factor..

interested noone has suggested calling the rangers to deal with really boorish behaviour ....

all .. thanks for the thoughts and the responses ... im unsurprised that fellow raiders (and im only a newbie so overstated myself here a touch!) feel the same way ....

i think the answers are

interested noone has suggested calling the rangers to deal with really boorish behaviour ....

The rangers already know. Alerting them will just emphasise the problem

i think the answers are

I recommend calling the police as public littering and disorderly conduct is a criminal offence AND the cops come quicker that rangers - especially if you say you have been threatened or you feel your safety is compromised.

How about an alcohol ban on the wharf?

Seems to me that much of the unruly behaviour and littering is likely due to fishermen with a skin-full who are more interested in having a good time than fishing or respecting the environment around them.

It's just too easy to sit on a wharf with your line out while drinking yourself silly from an esky full of coldies.

I can certainly say that my personal respect for the world around me decreases substantially when I'm plastered.

How about an alcohol ban on the wharf?

Seems to me that much of the unruly behaviour and littering is likely due to fishermen with a skin-full who are more interested in having a good time than fishing or respecting the environment around them.

It's just too easy to sit on a wharf with your line out while drinking yourself silly from an esky full of coldies.

I can certainly say that my personal respect for the world around me decreases substantially when I'm plastered.

Thats a tough one - it depends on the local council.

Personally, I cant fish without a beer! but I always take what I bring.

I think that is the bottom line in keeping fishing spots clean.... excuse the pun!

Edited by tan the fisherman

i'd gladly agree on banning alcohol consumption not only on the wharves but in most and probably all well known fishing locations. not only does the consumption of alcohol make you arrogant and short-tempered, it can also reduce reaction time and this is very dangerous when the fisherman is near the water (like in every fishing spot imaginable) especially on the rocks. banning alcohol will not only increase the safety and well-being of others but also on the fisherman him/her self.