Few Fish Off Dee Why

saltrix

Launched at Roseville about 6.15am, and trolled around North Head on the way out but there were a few big swells occasionly so I didnt go too close to the headland and got no strikes.

It was a bit rugged with a confused sea until I got off Manly when it got a bit better but was still hard to move around.

Saw a couple of whales, and the Albatross are still around feeding on the dying cuttles, they are great to watch flying around, they seem to go for ages just gliding. I came up on one with a cuttle on the way home and I thought I might pinch a candle from him, but there wasnt much left so I left it to the bird.

The current was pretty strong too and I needed a sea anchor to slow me down when the wind came up.

Got 3 flathead and a red as keepers and 3 huge Seargent Bakers, some red rock cod when I got to close to the reef, all of which went back. Also got a nice Pike which went well as bait.

By about 10 am the wind was coming up as forecast so I went home early.

Nothing of any size, the red was 34 cm, and the biggest flattie only 42cm.

post-3961-1249364755_thumb.jpg

Good onya buddy, not a bad haul for the table plus you scored some other bits

and pieces to pass the time, those albatros are big birds, Hutcho and I saw 2

when we were out on Sunday.

That's a great feed there saltrix! :thumbup: Flattie fillets and snapper! Can't complain about that!

Next time take a fillet off a sergeant baker and try it as snapper bait - it's great.

Cheers

Peter

Edited by peterS

A nice little haul of fish there mate.

May I ask, lures or bait??

Gahhh the reds still evade us! Got jewies, kingies and everything else on the plastics but just can't get a red. :05:

Got them on bait. Not very sporting bottom bashin out there in the deep but I usually get a feed if the weathers OK and there is not too much current..

I have had a few unsuccessful tries in close with lures, and have put some SP on the bottom rig sometimes but only seem to get the seargent Baker on them.

Regards

Good work Saltrix, there's some good dinners there mate... You seem to have quite a few spots to fall back on. When there's nothing much around, I reckon that you'd even have a blackfish rod on board :D

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Got them on bait. Not very sporting bottom bashin out there in the deep but I usually get a feed if the weathers OK and there is not too much current..

I have had a few unsuccessful tries in close with lures, and have put some SP on the bottom rig sometimes but only seem to get the seargent Baker on them.

Regards

Yeah we've had our fare share of seargent bakers that's for sure. Have got some crackers too I'll admit..

Noticed you're in Pennant Hills as well! Props to be a local.. I'm in Thornleigh..