Port Hacking & Bate Bay 16.8.09

robust

G'day Raiders,

The Mrs surprised me for my birthday this year by booking me a trip out with Ross Hunter today which was cancelled due to the strong wind warning that was issued for today.

None the less that didn't stop us from taking our boat for a day of fishing. We headed down to Gray's Point this morning and figured we'd try Bate Bay if the conditions looked alright and they did. With just a mild breeze and a comfortable 0.5 - 1 metre swell we enjoyed the sun on what seemed to be a taste of things to come with summer just around the corner.

We headed out just in front of shelley beach and drifted for a while with no luck......after unsuccessful attempts we then headed a bit further up towards osborne shoal a drifted back toward cronulla beach and in a matter of 20 minutes our luck changed and we managed a couple of nice flatties.

All in all a great day to be out as always and looking forward to summer coming soon.......

Cheers

Robert :1fishing1:

post-10643-1250407091_thumb.jpg

post-10643-1250407114_thumb.jpg

post-10643-1250407134_thumb.jpg

post-10643-1250407152_thumb.jpg

that's great stuff mate well done on the flatties :1prop:

Well done mate Sorry about the cancellation but intend to re-run Sept 12th if that's OK Sometimes they get the weather right, but not today.. However the fact that they issued a strong wind warning makes it tough and three others anglers were concerned about the weather Ring me tomorrow if that date suits

Ross

gday robert,

im new to this posting, this is my first reply. congrats on the nice flattes mate, nice meals ahead for u.

i too headed into bate bay today, well drifts between shark island and port hacking point. managed to catch plenty up till bout 12 then it just went dead. we would have taken about 20 - 30 flattiesw ranging from 15cm to 35cm so not legal. i hope they remember the lines that released them so in summer they come again haha.

roughly how far is osbourne shoal say from shark island, im in a 4.5 side console suitable for this type of water and keen to get out, but im also new and dont want to get myself or mates into strife.

again congrats on the nice feed you have

cheers

mick

well done mate i was out there today and seen you fishing.. i was in a 525 brooker discovery with a 75hp e-tec.. as we were just testing to see how she handled no fishing was done !

Mick; Dont quote me on it but i believe osbourne shoal is around 2-3km.. in okay weather you could get there in the 4.5 centre console easily !

well done mate i was out there today and seen you fishing.. i was in a 525 brooker discovery with a 75hp e-tec.. as we were just testing to see how she handled no fishing was done !

Mick; Dont quote me on it but i believe osbourne shoal is around 2-3km.. in okay weather you could get there in the 4.5 centre console easily !

Hey buddy,

how ya doin....I always look out for your quinnie but there's heaps of them down there.. Come past and say hello next time..... Were you in the blue boat yesterday?

Cheers

Rob

Hey mate shall do.. im going alright, how about you ??

My quinnie was out there but dad was behide the wheel,

Nar the boat was white + blue decal + blue bimini. :)

I'll say hi next time we will alaways be out there :)

Edited by cut_loose

gday robert,

im new to this posting, this is my first reply. congrats on the nice flattes mate, nice meals ahead for u.

i too headed into bate bay today, well drifts between shark island and port hacking point. managed to catch plenty up till bout 12 then it just went dead. we would have taken about 20 - 30 flattiesw ranging from 15cm to 35cm so not legal. i hope they remember the lines that released them so in summer they come again haha.

roughly how far is osbourne shoal say from shark island, im in a 4.5 side console suitable for this type of water and keen to get out, but im also new and dont want to get myself or mates into strife.

again congrats on the nice feed you have

cheers

mick

Thanks Mick and well done on your first post mate.... As for Osborne shoal, cut_loose hit the nail on the head mate..... If you've got a gps I can pm u the coordinates. Let me know.

As for your boat mate I go out in a 4.6 m quintrex with a 40 hp. I've only just started heading outside and am building my confidence..... I have seen guys out there in tinnies and 15 hp motors but having said that I've been taught and advised to pick your days and go out with someone experienced and definately carry all the safety gear. Don't take any risks and good luck mate.

Cheers

Robert

That's a good feed there Robert. Well done mate! :thumbup:

Shame about the cancellation, but you'll do well with Ross Hunter when you do get out.

As for Bate Bay, I reckon it takes a bit of luck sometimes with the flatties. They never seem to be in the same place twice, but if it's a nice day, who cares? Off Cronulla is a beautiful place to spend a couple of hours.

Cheers

Peter

With the reports of flathead fishing at bate bay i should try and head out there sometimes. Im alway fishing the river itself chasing bream and have never really giving the flatties a go. Looks like you did pretty well there mate.

That's a good feed there Robert. Well done mate! :thumbup:

Shame about the cancellation, but you'll do well with Ross Hunter when you do get out.

As for Bate Bay, I reckon it takes a bit of luck sometimes with the flatties. They never seem to be in the same place twice, but if it's a nice day, who cares? Off Cronulla is a beautiful place to spend a couple of hours.

Cheers

Peter

Cheers Peter,

i agree that the flatties arn't in the same place and here's hoping that the weather this weekend just keeps on as it has been the last few weekends. Will be out there hopefully later today and hoping for some good sized snappers.

Cheers

Rob