Mullet Mullet Mullet

anthony1

Went to the upper reaches of our local lagoon and came across some mullet

Must be that time of year.

Its a great sight to see.

Does anyone know the restrictions on catching these if any.

post-9219-1251972855_thumb.jpg

Edited by Anth 1

WOW awsome picture could test out a few lures there :1prop:

what are u likely to catch of mullet strips? i have a few mullet in the freezer caught last week never used it for bait before.. :wacko:

Catch anything from Bream to jewies mate, the gut is esp good for big bream and Flatties

Frames make good berley and keep the head of the Mullet, you put them into crab pots for Muddies in summer in the creeks.

to catch them there are 2 ways:

use a bait trap with bread as berley

use size 12 hooks and a float with tiny split-shot sinkers and bread or dough for bait

If you catch them using a rod and reel they go hard (at least the bully mullet go hard) poddies are best caught in a trap as they are too hard to catch with a line and hook- but it can be done!

it is not likely you could get them to bite a lure (unless it is a tiny grup plastic or a worm type plastic- you will have to scent it to get them to bite) but I have never heard of anyone getting them on lures

Edited by jewiehaven

to catch them there are 2 ways:

use a bait trap with bread as berley

use size 12 hooks and a float with tiny split-shot sinkers and bread or dough for bait

If you catch them using a rod and reel they go hard (at least the bully mullet go hard) poddies are best caught in a trap as they are too hard to catch with a line and hook- but it can be done!

it is not likely you could get them to bite a lure (unless it is a tiny grup plastic or a worm type plastic- you will have to scent it to get them to bite) but I have never heard of anyone getting them on lures

I caught a bully mullet on a jitterbug once fishing for bass, as soon as it hit the surface he smashed it but I've never done it since.

I agree Jewiehaven best fun is the old bread burley with dough on the hook on a float.

TG