Mondurans' Magical Meters

Jewhunter

G'day Raiders.

Great to to read that the social was such a great day. :thumbup:

A couple of good mates of mine headed up from Sydney to fish Awoonga for a week & then Monduran for the 2nd week. I was supposed to head to Awoonga with them but work conspired to end that plan. :1badmood: After moving the many mountains that were thrown at me last week I took off at 3 a.m last Sunday & headed up to Monduran to catch up with them & try to connect to the ledgendary Barra that live there.

I arrived at 9 a.m & the boys helped me pitch the tent & we hit the lake. This place is just massive. :1yikes:

There were a few reports of barra being caught but by all accounts the fishing was slow due to the cool water temps. We cast our arms off all day for not even a bump.

One of the other boats with our group got a couple so a new action plan was made over a few too many beers.

There was no point in hitting it early as we had to wait for the water temp to rise as the day got hotter.

We headed out again & after a couple of hours the temp finally nudged 25c. Mick got a cattie & the washing up duties for his trouble. We were still hanging it on him when he yells " yep! BARRA!!! His line was just over a tree stump but luckily it did everything right & after a great fight I slipped the net under a Monduran monster. I was gobsmacked. I could barely lift the thing & had to dead lift it by the net frame. A top fish at 103cm's. We were rapt for Mick. He had fished hard for no result in Awoonga & now, after a week of casting, he had his reward. Micks beast taken on a 5" hollowbelly.

After seeing the prize we again cast our arms off for not another bite. Bugger. This is hard work!

Tuesday was my last day & the boys were busting for me to get a fish. Dan "Bubba" Frost had cracked a 115cm fish at Awoonga the week before. They wanted me in the meter club.

We hit all the likely spots & worked our bums off for not a bump again. It looked like it was just not to be. We had a bus booked for 6 p.m to take the 7 of us into town for a night out. We were in a spot were we saw another boat get a fish at the same time the evening before. I was a bit down by 3 p.m so cracked a beer. We made the call to leave at 5.15 p.m. That time comes around & Mick says we'll give it till 20 past. I've just downed my 4th beer at 20 past, gave the "ahh well, last cast ay" call & fired it off. I bounced over a snag, lifted once & felt a bite. I hit it hard straight away in hope & the water erupted as a big barra came out shaking it's head madly. I couldn't believe it! 10 mins later it went into the net with me shaking my head in disbelief. It couldn't have been scripted better. At 105cms it was an awesome fish & I was now in the club!

The plastic that did the damage. A customised hollowbelly.

So a great result. Alot of casts between fish but every single one of them was worth it. A big thanks to my great mates Mick & Bubba for helping me join the meter club.

Cheers,

Grant.

my eyes are greener than a calamari at the moment!!! awesome fish grant.

- so I gather your not planning to leave gods country and live in sydney again any time soon, you lucky bugger!

on a serious note, it couldnt happen to a nicer person. fish of a lifetime! top stuff!

pete.