Making Poppers On A Lathe

olitay

Hi Raiders, i thought i would share with you all my new hobby... ill post the step by step process a bit later (if anyone is interested) for now here are some pics. I am yet to rig it all up! Will post completed pics when finished!

post-6621-1255125154_thumb.jpg

post-6621-1255125169_thumb.jpg

post-6621-1255125181_thumb.jpg

post-6621-1255125194_thumb.jpg

post-6621-1255125208_thumb.jpg

post-6621-1255125222_thumb.jpg

post-6621-1255125238_thumb.jpg

post-6621-1255125300_thumb.jpg

Edited by BillyD

Hi Raiders, i thought i would share with you all my new hobby... ill post the step by step process a bit later (if anyone is interested) for now here are some pics. I am yet to rig it all up! Will post completed pics when finished!

Billid,that is brilliant,I make black fish floats on a lathe but how did you make the popper.Is it out of one peice of wood.Thanks

Edited by sweet chilli

Your prototype popper is looking good Billy, you could turn up quite a few wooden poppers on a lathe and try out the improvements on the water.... you could do things like glue on well positioned bucktails as side wings and tails to some of the plain popper shapes to present a slightly different type of lob, drop and swim for each popper...adding synthetic bucktails or yaktail material would turn a plain popper into a malibu style popper with your trebbles buried in among the bucktails, and I'm sure you'll finish up having a nice range of BillyV's special hybrids as your favourites :thumbup: .....

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Billid,that is brilliant,I make black fish floats on a lathe but how did you make the popper.Is it out of one peice of wood.Thanks

Thanks for the comments guys!

This it is out of one piece of wood. This is just an experiment as it is my first one and the wood I have used is not recommended, I recon 1 decent GT and they would tear this thing to shreds!

Apparently you need some sort of hard wood. People have mentioned Drift Wood (whatever that is) or some sort of maple would be a better option.

When i get some time ill post a full step by step process. At this stage im still experimenting and dont want to advise incase im doing the wrong thing...... I have since added some eyelets to this and gave it a test down at the boat ramp and was really quite supprised at the action. Lots of bloops and pops. It is a little on the light side so i think once i use some hard wood I will overcome this problem.

PS: I know the paint job is a bit retro but Im waiting for some real hobby airbrush paint to arrive in the mail. I used a combination of kids water paint and house paint for this one :wacko:

Ill keep you all updated!

Edited by BillyD

Looks good, I like the shape.

Best thing is to buy one and pull it apart. The weights in them is the key to a good popper.

It should sit back end down in the water and the extra weight aids in casting distance.

How big/long is the one you made?

The GT sized ones are 17cm long and weigh 125gms

Kingie slim ones still 80gms

On the propper popper tackle, you should be casting them 60m+

The weight is all in the butt section as shown in pic.

post-3563-1255186059_thumb.jpg

Edited by GregL

This it is out of one piece of wood. This is just an experiment as it is my first one and the wood I have used is not recommended, I recon 1 decent GT and they would tear this thing to shreds!

Apparently you need some sort of hard wood. People have mentioned Drift Wood (whatever that is) or some sort of maple would be a better option.

When i get some time ill post a full step by step process. At this stage im still experimenting and dont want to advise incase im doing the wrong thing...... I have since added some eyelets to this and gave it a test down at the boat ramp and was really quite supprised at the action. Lots of bloops and pops. It is a little on the light side so i think once i use some hard wood I will overcome this problem.

PS: I know the paint job is a bit retro but Im waiting for some real hobby airbrush paint to arrive in the mail. I used a combination of kids water paint and house paint for this one :wacko:

hi BillyD

your popper looks good fish should love it.

that timber you are useing looks like pine,it will handle big fish no worries. I make my own poppers out of pine and they work well and i have caught some big GTs on them and if they get smashed to bits that doesent matter they there not exspensive to make it also makes a good talking point when you show them to people all smashed up.

just put good stainless wire all the way through the popper (i use 2.4 stainless steel filler rods) and add 200-300lb heavy class split rings and strong hooks to the wire then if the timber does split or get chewed to bits you have the wire to keep you connected to the fish. if you add a sinker to the back of the popper it helps in casting and sits the tail down in the water and will stop it from tumbling when you wind it in. i have used hard wood but its to heavy and when you add a sinker, wire,split rings and hooks there is just to much weight.

post-6149-1255246891_thumb.jpg

post-6149-1255246941_thumb.jpg

hi BillyD

your popper looks good fish should love it.

that timber you are useing looks like pine,it will handle big fish no worries. I make my own poppers out of pine and they work well and i have caught some big GTs on them and if they get smashed to bits that doesent matter they there not exspensive to make it also makes a good talking point when you show them to people all smashed up.

just put good stainless wire all the way through the popper (i use 2.4 stainless steel filler rods) and add 200-300lb heavy class split rings and strong hooks to the wire then if the timber does split or get chewed to bits you have the wire to keep you connected to the fish. if you add a sinker to the back of the popper it helps in casting and sits the tail down in the water and will stop it from tumbling when you wind it in. i have used hard wood but its to heavy and when you add a sinker, wire,split rings and hooks there is just to much weight.

post-6149-1255246891_thumb.jpg

post-6149-1255246941_thumb.jpg

Hey Jim, im so glad to see your post, I have spent some time today testing the few lures I have made form pine and they just swim so well. i made one from hard wood and it wasnt the same.

Thanks for the advice on the wire through the body, i used eyelets on the prototype but i recon it wont handle a decent fish.

Thanks for your help!

Great fish in that pic!